Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do when European hotel insists on charging in US dollars

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Having said that, as I understand it, the eu is moving in the direction of "banning" if at all possible the use of non emv compliant credit card and such legislation has been proposed for a while
I don't know where you got that idea... But EMV has nothing to do with the EU.

It is primarily a measure to combat skimming and was more driven by debit cards being copied on an increasing scale than anything else. Of course the same principals apply to credit cards. Using a chip can facilitate other functions as secure online banking and was originaly intended to facilitate additional functions as loyalty programs or an electronic purse. But the combination of more functions on one card never got off the ground. The cards are also a bit more durable.

It's upto each issuing entity to determine if they force the use of EMV. When they don't they are liable for any fraud so that's an easy choice.

Chipcards were already in use in France about twenty years ago.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
I don't know where you got that idea... But EMV has nothing to do with the EU.

It is primarily a measure to combat skimming and was more driven by debit cards being copied on an increasing scale than anything else. Of course the same principals apply to credit cards. Using a chip can facilitate other functions as secure online banking and was originaly intended to facilitate additional functions as loyalty programs or an electronic purse. But the combination of more functions on one card never got off the ground. The cards are also a bit more durable.

It's upto each issuing entity to determine if they force the use of EMV. When they don't they are liable for any fraud so that's an easy choice.

Chipcards were already in use in France about twenty years ago.
there have been sporadic reports from time to time that legislation is coming to mandate the use of only chip cards in the eu. Just the messenger. Do I know it for a fact? No if that makes one happy but I've read lots well maybe not lots of speculation on this from time to time.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
there have been sporadic reports from time to time that legislation is coming to mandate the use of only chip cards in the eu. Just the messenger. Do I know it for a fact? No if that makes one happy but I've read lots well maybe not lots of speculation on this from time to time.
Source please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.