What to do when European hotel insists on charging in US dollars

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do when European hotel insists on charging in US dollars

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by hindukid
Checked out of the Clarion at Dublin Airport this morning. Was staying on points but had 5.24 Euro in incidentals. Handed over my Hyatt Visa with no foreign transaction fees. Got back a charge slip showing I was being charged $7.91 US dollars at an exchange rate of 1.49.

Asked them to redo it and charge it in Euros. He said that he didn't know how and that this was the way it had to be done. I really didn't want to spend 30 minutes with them arguing about it and then having to wait for them to figure out how to charge my card in euros. Had to get to the airport to catch flight home.

So I just signed it. Got back the receipt and of course it says that I have agreed to be charged in dollars at exchange rate 3.5% above interbank rate. Granted in my case it was only about 25 cents. But its the principle that bothers me. I was more or less forced to sign the thing. Even when I asked to have it done in Euros, I was told it couldn't be done.

I'm inclined to dispute the charge over the stupid 25 cents. It shouldn't matter but I didn't pay cash because I had purposely spent all foreign currency before coming home.
You could have sorted it out at the time, but decided your time was of more value than the 25 c you'd have got refunded. I think you answered your own question, by your own acts at the time.

I do agree it is a nasty practice though.

As for me, it's not somethign I've had yet (but may do when I go to China later this year). In a country where I can be understood, I'd refuse to sign for it in any currency other than the local - in China, that might be somewhat more difficult
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Not only do you get less competitive rates but the card may still charge you a foreign transcation fee. Having the charges in US dollars will always give you a worse exchange rate. The merchant does this so the rates are in their favor.
Many cards charge the "foreign transaction fee" if the location is outside the USA even if the charge was in USD. Check your terms before you decide which card to use where...
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by b1513
Well, it isn't exactly a quarter if the bill is hundreds of dollars. That happened to me in Ireland and I made them rebill it in Euros. I agree, it is the principle of the thing.

True there could be a principle involved, but the OP did say this:

Granted in my case it was only about 25 cents...I'm inclined to dispute the charge over the stupid 25 cents.
Not worth the fight.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Not only do you get less competitive rates but the card may still charge you a foreign transcation fee. Having the charges in US dollars will always give you a worse exchange rate. The merchant does this so the rates are in their favor.

Originally Posted by jmastron
Many cards charge the "foreign transaction fee" if the location is outside the USA even if the charge was in USD. Check your terms before you decide which card to use where...
Ummm..yes that is what I posted.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by t325
I had a foreign transaction refunded to my Amex, a month had passed between the purchase and the refund, and they refunded the original transaction and the original transaction fee. In fact, because of differences in the exchange rate at the time of purchase and refund, I made a whopping 5 cents on the deal, I better be careful not to spend it all in one place!
Possibly a major currency shift in the neighborhood of 10% over a month..

The point is that purchases and refunds are subject to fees, and differing amounts end up being posted.. unless as pointed out the original transaction is voided..
Old Jul 9, 2011, 3:23 pm

I had this garbage pulled on me at a Burger King in Dublin...they refused to void (not credit) the transaction and insisted they had every right in Ireland to do this and the usual lies by the so called manager (who seemed to be an eu refugee from Eastern Europe as so many are these days, not demeaning them mind you but sometimes English is a problem even in places like Ireland or the UK). In any event, I crossed out the USD amount, crossed out the statement that I was offered the opportunity to pay in local currency, crossed out the statement I accept the conversion amount and instead of signing my name, wrote local option not offered. The clerk was too stupid to understand what I had done.

When I got home, I disputed the charge and asked for a charge back. As these clowns were in violation of visa rules, the bank has no choice but to charge it back to the merchant. The day of this incident, the euro was trading at $1.41 and these pos's were charging me $1.52. I know, I know the amount is not that much but it is the principle of the matter.

Another time I was checking out of my hotel in London, a hotel I had stayed at quite often, and they tried to pull the DCC scam on me. Again the clerk was not British, was probably from some East European eu country, and tried to tell me the usual lies, you know the USD amount is only shown for convenience yada yada yada. But he did void the transaction (as a side note, one of the previous posters is correct. If your bank charges a foreign transaction fee, the fee is added to the charge on a purchase and subtracted from the purchase on a credit but if your bank doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee, it doesn't matter if it goes through as a void or a credit but there is a difference between the two).

In any event, I have not heard from my card issuer yet about this garbage but while I noticed that more and more merchants, especially in Ireland the home of this scam, do ask if I wish to pay in USD, there are still some crooked merchants who try to pull off this scam on unsuspecting tourists.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Anytime and every time a merchant (hotel, restaurant, whoever) pulls a DCC on me and tries to charge my cc in dollars, I refuse to sign and ask for another charge in local currency.
I was at an ETAP (Accor brand) this past weekend in Berlin. When they presented me with the receipt to sign it showed a conversion to dollars that was about 3% higher that the dollar/euro exchange rate that day. The wording on the receipt indicated my signature authorized them to bill in dollars and what the charge would be.

I have ran across something brand new to me at this property. They had a sign on the counter promoting the benefits of DCC (with those letters prominently displayed) so you can be charged in your home currency. Nothing on that sign about any surcharges.

They voided the dollar transaction and ran a new one in euros. I saved about $5. All my previous DCC issues have been in Ireland and the UK.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I was at an ETAP (Accor brand) this past weekend in Berlin. When they presented me with the receipt to sign it showed a conversion to dollars that was about 3% higher that the dollar/euro exchange rate that day. The wording on the receipt indicated my signature authorized them to bill in dollars and what the charge would be.

I have ran across something brand new to me at this property. They had a sign on the counter promoting the benefits of DCC (with those letters prominently displayed) so you can be charged in your home currency. Nothing on that sign about any surcharges.

They voided the dollar transaction and ran a new one in euros. I saved about $5. All my previous DCC issues have been in Ireland and the UK.

Good for you and shame on Accor for pulling this scam.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Dec 5, 2011 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:19 pm

You were at a hotel in Germany and the sign was in English...tells you something about whom they try to pull this scam on.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
For future reference get a euro card. I live in the UK but I have a prepaid mastercard for dollar transactions and another one for euros. When I have a trip coming up (or I am buying something from the states on ebay) I make sure I have enough loaded on the card (which is done at a much beter rate than I can buy currency in cash) and then use that. Reloading is easy (I once sat outside a starbucks (to get their free wifi) in an outlet mall in Vegas to reload the card using my mobile phone for the second time that day due to a big shopping trip for the family). Works like a normal mastercard, is as easy as cash and a better rate - what's not to like.

There is sometimes a joining fee but that is waived if you are referred - anyone in UK want me to refer them (for which I would get £2.50 credit) PM me.

They are also useful for backpacking teenagers - they ahve a card which you can quickly and easily load from home (takes no more than 15 mins for money to be on the card).

I guess something similar must exist in other countries?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
The local currency prepaid card won't earn us our valuable miles and points for the charge which is our goal:

Using a card with no foreign exchange or transaction fee, collect the miles/points while being charged in local currency so we benefit from the daily interbank exchange rate.

Fortunately, in Australia and New Zealand where I get to punch buttons on the card terminal I can always hit the button myself for AUD / NZD and not USD. For Europe: I was always asked in Ireland but admittedly the last time I was there (Jan 2011) I was on advance purchase hotel rates so obviously avoided this debacle at checkout. And for smaller purchases I'll almost always use cash in Ireland or elsewhere in Europe since it's still very much a cash culture - and I find if I don't I'll end up flying home with too many Euro/Pounds/Forints/et al.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've now got a chip and pin card in Canada, haven't used it in Europe yet - if I do, does the terminal give the option (as described above) to use DCC or local currency?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I do agree it is a nasty practice though.
I agree, too. I would simply refuse to sign.

The vendor is not in business to be nice to you. If they can find another way to get money from you, they will (and it appears they have). 3.5% mark-up on an exchange fee that they pretend to do for you out of the kindness of their heart is highway robbery.

Originally Posted by Jenbel
As for me, it's not somethign I've had yet (but may do when I go to China later this year). In a country where I can be understood, I'd refuse to sign for it in any currency other than the local - in China, that might be somewhat more difficult
I think they'll get the message awfully quickly. Just keep repeating "renminbi" over and over again.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:00 pm

I had this scam pulled on me a week or so ago on Gran Canaria, a Spanish island. I had reserved a car at a good rate through Economy Car Rentals, and my voucher said the balance was to be paid in euros to their local provider, Goldcar Rentals. When I got the contract, it had a box which said I had been offered a choice of currencies (a lie) and chose to charge it in USD at a rate above $1.41. The euro on that day was below $1.35. When I strenuously objected, they said it was ''in the computer'' and there was nothing they could do about it. My only option they said was to refuse the rental and rent from someone else at walkup rates, and they would not return my prepayment if I did that. There were two other additional frauds on the contract, and all told I was overcharged over $43. I briefly looked at the rates at the adjoining rental booth for walkups and concluded I would lose more than $43 there. I took the car but am complaining to Economy Car Rentals over this fraud. I will also challenge the charge at my bank.

Remember - Goldcar Rentals = fraud

Another place this scam is pulled is on the Ryanair website. Many airlines offer a choice of currency, that only fools choose something other than local currency. Those airlines, unlike Ryan, do not foist it on you. When you get to the last page to pay on the Ryan site, it shows the amount due at the bottom right in large numbers in euros. Way off to the left in small print is a pre-checked box asking for conversion. Unless you know about it or are very careful, you will not see it, but that box needs to be unchecked to keep the sale in euros. Otherwise, the next page, your receipt, will finally show you that you have paid in dollars rather than euros and at a very bad rate. Ryanair is the only airline I know that pulls this disgusting stunt.

In the US, these practices would lead to a class action for unfair and deceptive business practices, allowing recovery of treble damages plus attorneys fees. Too bad Europe apparently does not have an equivalent.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by emma69
I've now got a chip and pin card in Canada, haven't used it in Europe yet - if I do, does the terminal give the option (as described above) to use DCC or local currency?
It does.

If you are forced to use DCC by a merchant, you can raise a chargeback for the difference with your issuer when you get home. I have done this in the past (with Ryanair, no less).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.