Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

favorite dumb pax comments

Old Jul 1, 2011, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres

So while boarding today MSP-ATL a woman came in less then 5 min before departure and the FA told her she would need to check her bag as all the overheads were full. She kept walking, the FA called out to her and the woman replied that shes not checking it. The FA re-stated that all the bins were full as we were now about 3 min to departure and it MUST be checked. The woman said "fine ill just put it under my seat". Now her bag was a metal 22" roller, no way its fitting, and the FA told her as much. The woman shot back "well pull someone else's bag out and check it, I have an international connection and I'm NOT letting you check my bag". The FA replied that there was no way they were doing that and that if she had a problem with bags to go talk to the GA, the woman stormed off the plane yelling "Your a absolutely horrible airline".

So as I sit here thinking how stupid this woman is to expect there to be bin space on a full flight when you board <5 min to departure and for the FAs to bend over backwards for her because she has a intl connection, I thought I'd post this and see if anyone else has some great dumb pax stories to share!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 6:10 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Last night at SFO we were delayed an hr. Two PAX decided to debate putting a backpack in the overhead when the bins are full. After one yelled at the other to go .... himself, I thoug we were gonna have a serious situation. Luckily they calmed down.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Here's my favorite: a while back I took a flight in Y, and the two guys sitting next to me obviously hadn't flown much and were very excited. They were also very flamboyant and kept talking about what they were going to order to drink once we got up in the air. As the plane was finishing boarding, one of them turned to the other and said, "I don't get it...how are they going to back the plane away from the gate without a rearview mirror??"

I really wish I wasn't making this up...
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
One older passenger on a LGA-FLL flight (in November - 90% of the pax onboard were over 70 years old...) insisted that her little purse take up a whole overhead bin, and she refused to move it for other passenger's bags. A while later, the FA came over to me and said, "In my 30 years of flying, I've never seen anything like that, ever!".
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Haven't posted on here in quite some time, but this thread reminded me of a really funny story. Sitting on the plane and a girl across from me is reading the Sky Mall catalog. She asks the FA when she comes by "when are we getting to the Sky Mall?" FA didn't quite know what to say before finally just laughing and explaining it to her. Everyone that heard it was having a good laugh for a few minutes.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Last night's comment from a GA about a "congenital boarding process" is still making me snort-laugh.

(I know the question was for dumb pax comments. But that trumps anything I've ever heard a pax say.)
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Chris at PHL
Haven't posted on here in quite some time, but this thread reminded me of a really funny story. Sitting on the plane and a girl across from me is reading the Sky Mall catalog. She asks the FA when she comes by "when are we getting to the Sky Mall?" FA didn't quite know what to say before finally just laughing and explaining it to her. Everyone that heard it was having a good laugh for a few minutes.
I'm afraid to ask this, but how old was the girl?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
"But I'm picking someone up from US Air. Why can't I wait in there?"

-Guy in Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts at DFW, pleading with the TSA officer to let him through security without a boarding pass.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by AUDirt
I'm afraid to ask this, but how old was the girl?
I'd say probably early 20s...old enough that she should have known better!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Chris at PHL
I'd say probably early 20s...old enough that she should have known better!
That's no good
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:39 am

The two women in Nashville who pushed thier way onto the plane and then started yellling at everyone to hurry so "we can take off early" Yeah, right and circle ATL for an hour!

But the baggage check is a standard. There was a young lady on my last LAX flight standing in the front crying that "we can't check my bag" The reason? SHe had overslept and hadn't had time to apply her makeup and wanted to do that on the plane and it was in the luggage. No one was moved by this crisis!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
A TSA comment

Maybe slightly off topic because it was a comment from a TSA agent at JFK, not a pax;

TSA agent taking my bottle of cologne off the plastic bag and telling me it's too big and I can't take it with me unless I check the bag. The volume content on the bottle is in ml, not ounces. I tell the guy, this bottle is less than 100 ml and it's fine. He responds he does know metric so I should check it. I go:
"but look at the size of the bottle, it's obviously less than 3.4 ounces"
He responds very seriously:
"Sir, sometime you can fit large volumes in small containers"

I gave up at that point and abandoned my bottle of cologne...
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:54 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Coming home from PIT last weekend on another carrier (rhymes with US Scare), saw a girl (20ish) coming up to the next gate over, about 5 minutes after the equipment had pulled away. "Is this the gate for New York?" "Yes, but the plane has already left" "But doesn't it leave at 4:15?" "No, it leaves at 4:01 and left on time" "But I wasn't on it" "The plane doesn't wait for late passengers, you're supposed to be here at least 10 minutes before departure".

This went on for awhile, and the GA even offered to try to put the girl on the next (last) flight to New York at no charge, if there was space. "But what if there isn't space?" "Then we'll get you on the first flight in the morning, it's pretty empty" "Will you pay for my hotel tonight?" "No, we can't do that" "But it's not my fault, my parents told me the flight was at 4:15" "I'm sorry, we can't do that".

Followed up by a tearful call home with lots of finger pointing and a refrain of "But I don't want to sleep in an airport".
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:19 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
The drink story above reminded me of this one . . . .

Flying in F to somewhere in Florida. Young collegiate type guy wearing floral board shorts and flip flops - obviously never flown in F before . . .

FA: What would you like to drink?

PAX: What do you have?

FA: I have beer, wine, vodka, rum - - - well, I can make pretty much anything you want!

PAX: OK, I'll have an Alabammer Slammer.

Nuff said!

I'm sure I'll have others - as my signature suggests!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: DL 1.3MM GM , Marriott-Platinum Premier+Lifetime , Hilton-Blue, Nat'l-Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by davetravels
The drink story above reminded me of this one . . . .

Flying in F to somewhere in Florida. Young collegiate type guy wearing floral board shorts and flip flops - obviously never flown in F before . . .

FA: What would you like to drink?

PAX: What do you have?

FA: I have beer, wine, vodka, rum - - - well, I can make pretty much anything you want!

PAX: OK, I'll have an Alabammer Slammer.

Nuff said!

I'm sure I'll have others - as my signature suggests!
Standing Ovation! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.