Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

favorite dumb pax comments

favorite dumb pax comments

Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
SNA - SJC (or the other way round hop) ...

Honest to goodness question to FA from a ~20-something year old ... "Can we open any windows to get some air in? Kind of stuffy in here."
I heard that from a 3-yr old flying UA LGA-ORD before, I gotta say, that 3-yr old girl sounded much cuter!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:53 pm

Hate to admit it but..

Originally Posted by Deemus7
Here's my favorite: a while back I took a flight in Y, and the two guys sitting next to me obviously hadn't flown much and were very excited. They were also very flamboyant and kept talking about what they were going to order to drink once we got up in the air. As the plane was finishing boarding, one of them turned to the other and said, "I don't get it...how are they going to back the plane away from the gate without a rearview mirror??"

I really wish I wasn't making this up...
I was a seasoned traveler since age 14 when I went with my class to Europe for the summer. It wasn't until about age 28, while watching flights leave at the airport (I was headed to NYC for New Years) that I saw a plane being "pushed back". I was amazed because I always thought the pilot put the plane in reverse to do that. I'm more knowledgeable now - I actually belong to an aviation historical group :-).
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I don't know if this was out of the ordinary..

I was checking in for my UA flight a couple days ago and asked the Executive First check-in agent while he was dealing with another passenger check-in.. Amex Plat member.. can we check-in with Executive? He said no..

Then after he was done.. he called me over and asked.. United Platinum you? and I said no Aeroplat Amex.. he didn't say anything.. proceeded to check me in.. and we ended up getting Economy Plus in the 8th row.^
Huh? Sorry, after reading this I'm rather confused. Who was asking whom for what?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Huh? Sorry, after reading this I'm rather confused. Who was asking whom for what?
I was in line economy, but while the UA exec first check-ub agent was checking somebody else in.. I stepped up to the counter and asked if Amex Plaitinums can check in Executive First line.. his initial answer was no..

So I got back into the front of the economy line where we were originally standing.. the UA executive first check in agent finished up with the customer and called me over.. asked if I was United cc Platinum.. I said no.. just Amex Aeroplat.. and he said no problem.. I'll check you in..

We weren't charged for checked luggage.. and the gentleman upgraded us to E+ as well.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by timfountain
And then the try and get into a Cessna 150 and find they don't even fit.....
+1

As a pilot with a decent of chunk of time in 150s, I tip my hat to your comment!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by deputter
I was a seasoned traveler since age 14 when I went with my class to Europe for the summer. It wasn't until about age 28, while watching flights leave at the airport (I was headed to NYC for New Years) that I saw a plane being "pushed back". I was amazed because I always thought the pilot put the plane in reverse to do that. I'm more knowledgeable now - I actually belong to an aviation historical group :-).
On planes with reverse thrust, self pushback is possible, although not common at most airports, as it tends to kick up a lot of dirt and debris. Also, planes with low wing mounted engines are more likely to suck some of that back into the engine, so it is mainly used on fuselage mounted engine planes. See this video for an example.

The crash of Air Florida flight 90 was partially attributed to the pilots attempt to use a reverse thrust pushback in a 737 in snowy conditions, causing snow and ice to be sucked back into the engine.

Last edited by djk7; Jul 30, 2011 at 7:38 pm Reason: Add AF90 crash reference
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by deputter
Heh, I always thought the same thing for a longest time. I figured the planes had a PRNDL gear shift - well I guess it would be a PRNFL. F for fly of course. Maybe the cooler planes have a R123456 gear shift
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by t325
Heh, I always thought the same thing for a longest time. I figured the planes had a PRNDL gear shift - well I guess it would be a PRNFL. F for fly of course. Maybe the cooler planes have a R123456 gear shift
The pilot puts the plane in R, puts his hand on the back of the co-pilot's chair, turns back and looks down the aisle of the plane, of course.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by amolkold
The pilot puts the plane in R, puts his hand on the back of the co-pilot's chair, turns back and looks down the aisle of the plane, of course.
I was on a late-night WN LAX-OAK flight some years ago and some pax were still getting settled. Cockpit door was open, jetway still attached, maybe 1/3 load on the aircraft. To expedite departure, the pilot turned around and said something "young lady, would you mind sitting down because I won't be able to see where I'm backing up." Got a nice chuckle from the cabin.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by amolkold
Oh. So that's why some older planes had exits at the rear of the fuselage! That way the FA could open it and the pilot could have a better view!
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Oh. So that's why some older planes had exits at the rear of the fuselage! That way the FA could open it and the pilot could have a better view!

Or it could have one of those screens with the camera in the back, although the former is funnier.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:04 pm

On a very delayed EWR to PIT flight a couple of years ago, we were sitting at the gate waiting for a mechanic who was going to be flying to PIT to fix a plane there and the people across the aisle asked the FA if they could step outside and smoke. (Incidentally, on that same flight the person sitting next to me helpfully pointed out that I was violating the rules by using my cellphone as we taxied after landing.)
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by chessman
On a very delayed EWR to PIT flight a couple of years ago, we were sitting at the gate waiting for a mechanic who was going to be flying to PIT to fix a plane there and the people across the aisle asked the FA if they could step outside and smoke. (Incidentally, on that same flight the person sitting next to me helpfully pointed out that I was violating the rules by using my cellphone as we taxied after landing.)

You can use your phone immediately after landing so your seat mate was wrong
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
You can use your phone immediately after landing so your seat mate was wrong
I was well aware of that; she was not. Perhaps "violating the rules" would have conveyed the thought more appropriately.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by chessman
I was well aware of that; she was not. Perhaps "violating the rules" would have conveyed the thought more appropriately.

Oh

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.