Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

favorite dumb pax comments

favorite dumb pax comments

Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
another variation of the "I'll never fly Delta again" type.

A while ago while waiting for a delayed flight I heard a passenger say to the GA that "this is my 7th flight on Delta this year and every one has been delayed. The good news is that this will not happen next year because next year I will not be flying Delta."
Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
Originally Posted by Pedro M
Several years ago, when they were checking if cell phones were not wired to be (I guess) an explosive device, I had been asked on a few occasions to press a key and/or turn the phone on. Wondering how smart they were, I tried this:
TSA Agent: Sir, please press number 5 in your phone
I stared at my phone, and with a puzzled look said: "my phone doesn't have a number 5"
TSA Agent: Oh, then press another number
I had to refrain from laughing when he believed what I said.
The guards at the FCC building in Washington make you turn on your cell phone/smart phone and press a button when you go through security there.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
I Kept My Word to NW

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
another variation of the "I'll never fly Delta again" type.

A while ago while waiting for a delayed flight I heard a passenger say to the GA that "this is my 7th flight on Delta this year and every one has been delayed. The good news is that this will not happen next year because next year I will not be flying Delta."
This goes back awhile; in the late 90s my wife booked tickets for our family on NW as they had an ultra cheap fare via DTW to SBN. On our way home, we make it back to DTW, when our flight to BWI goes MX. NW has one more flight to BWI, but apparently it is full, and the NW agent tells us she is going to give us seats to DCA, but not give us any compensation for a taxi to get us to BWI where our car is. That was not satisfactory, and I asked to speak to a supervisor; the NW agent ignores me. So I shout "supervisor", and the NW agent says to me, "one more word out of you and I'm calling the police".

I told her I would never fly NW again. I kept my word for at least 10 years (did basically all my flying on DL, WN or TW), until NW joined the DL frequent flyer program.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ND76
This goes back awhile; in the late 90s my wife booked tickets for our family on NW as they had an ultra cheap fare via DTW to SBN. On our way home, we make it back to DTW, when our flight to BWI goes MX. NW has one more flight to BWI, but apparently it is full, and the NW agent tells us she is going to give us seats to DCA, but not give us any compensation for a taxi to get us to BWI where our car is. That was not satisfactory, and I asked to speak to a supervisor; the NW agent ignores me. So I shout "supervisor", and the NW agent says to me, "one more word out of you and I'm calling the police".

I told her I would never fly NW again. I kept my word for at least 10 years (did basically all my flying on DL, WN or TW), until NW joined the DL frequent flyer program.
Well Delta is a different airline from NW so I would say you did keep your word.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I was on a Delta flight from SFO to DTW, and a kettle sitting up in the front of Y, came up and used the lav in F while the FA was doing the lunch service, and it was an FA that wasn't saying anything to people from Y using the LAV up front. One of the lunch choices was the hamburger. She went back to her seat and came up a few minutes later while the FA was still delivering the trays and said her daughter really wanted a cheeseburger to eat and asked if she could have one if there were any leftover
Old Jul 2, 2011, 1:02 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
One of my fav stories - as told to me by a friend who used to be a phone res agent for an airline. He told me that, when many people (kettles) call the 1-800# for an airline, they think they're talking to someone at the airport in their city - - Here's the conversation that took place . . . .

Phone Agent: Good afternoon, Acme Airways

Caller: Could you please tell me if flight #1234 has arrived yet?

Phone Agent: Sure, let me check . . . . [During the pause, a housekeeping person walks behind his cubicle with a vacuum]

Caller: Oh, nevermind - I just heard it land!

You just can't make this stuff up!!!
Old Jul 2, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Posted this over a year ago, so I copied it from my old post:

-------------------------------------------------
I was flying in BE on DL 180 ATL-VCE, which was actually the last operation of such flight per the fall timetable changes (this is a seasonal route). I had meant to post this with my short trip-report about my return flight with the new BE, but I had forgotten.

I boarded the flight well into the boarding process and was seated in 5C, a center section isle. I had checked the seat map prior to leaving the SC and noticed that there was 1 A-B section open (6 A and B, last one on the left) and 1 on the F-G side (6 F and G, last one on the right). I always check before boarding and apparent non-revs have already been cleared in hopes that once the door is closed I can inquire as to moving to 1 of the 2 open set of seats (Generally, anyone can do this by watching 20 open BE seats turn to 4 about 30 minutes prior to departure of an international flight ).

As I sat down, I noticed that 6B was occupied by a girl who looked to be in her low 20's. She was sporting a huge duffle bag with her school logo which also happened to match the large hoody sweatshirt she was wearing (I am not dogging on school spirit!). It seemed odd to me, since just 4 minutes prior the seat was showing open and I had already seen what I thought were the majority of the non-revs cleared into J (she didn't "appear" to be a full-fare type passenger, hence the relevance of my visual description), but I figured she was a last minute addition/op-up and went on reading by book. As boarding neared completion the FA came by to take orders and after providing her preferences she quite loudly asked something along the lines of "ummmm, are we going to be allowed to move around the plane, I usually prefer to get some exercise and I want to be able to walk back to coach and visit my friends." The FA reassured her that yes, she would in fact be able to move around and would not be held captive at her seat.

Just as the door was closed, the lead FA came down the isle and stopped very suddenly just behind my seat (where the girl was sitting). I noticed this and briefly stopped reading. What took place was one of the strangest sentiments of self entitlement I have ever seen, in fact my seat mate and I both seemed to be in utter disbelief at what transpired. The FA asked to see her ticket and when the ticket was handed to her, she asked why the ticket said 18C and the girl was seated in 6B. The girls response was "Oh, I really wanted to sit here and I checked online before the flight to see about upgrading, but the cost was $5,400 and that was just ridiculous, so I figured I would just find an open seat up front and sit here" At this point I think the FA was just as shocked as we were, and thought for a moment at how to handle this. She first asked for the amenity kit and headphones. Once these were handed to her, she said "You need to return to your assigned seat immediately or we will be forced to remove you from the plane." The girl, as if she had done nothing wrong, asked "Can I at least take a bit more champagne with me, I mean, I was seated here when you served it." Needless to say the champagne was also taken and the girl grabbed all her belonging and went back to coach under the watchful eye of the lead FA.

Later on in the flight I overheard a few of the FA’s talking while I was waiting to go to the rear LAV. Apparently once the flight was underway this girl was nothing but a hassle, asking for more food, her bread to be warmed, and for different movies to be put on the overhead screens in Y. In light of this situation I ask, has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 3:27 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DLATL777
I ask, has anyone experienced anything like this before?
The self op-up, yes - - entitlement after getting caught, no.

Years ago, when I was much younger, I was flying CO from (old) MDW, while I was sitting at the gate, I heard a man and a woman chit chatting. I couldn't quite make out the whole conversation, but, it sounded something like he was going to try'n sneak up front, and that he doesn't like how, now, the FA's have a list of who and how many pax are supposed to be up there, and that it didn't used to be that way - or something similar. He boarded in front of me and for some reason asked me what seat his BP said - I said 18C. He said thanx and sat in row 4.

OK - door closes. FA's are chit chatting - and after a quick head count, easily figured out that F had a stow away! Being that I was youngish, and always travel in sneakers, jeans, & a baseball cap, they started with ME, in the last row of F and asked me to produce my BP!! They eventually got him, and made him take the walk of SUPER SHAME, and his response was something like - "Well, I tried"!!
Old Jul 2, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I really wish delta would add boarding time BEGINS at: xx:xx

I'm sick of being pushed out of the way off a plane because someones flight boards in 10 minutes!!!!
Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
In light of this situation I ask, has anyone experienced anything like this before?
It's a shame when making a young attempt at DYKWIA it turns out, yes, they do know who you are, and you're busted! ^
Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AMS officials knoiw languages but not geography

I was returning to the AMS airport on a SVO-AMS-MSP itinerary with an overnight connection in AMS and running later than optimal for a bit of lounge time. My bag was checked through and I had gotten my AMS-MSP boarding pass issued the previous day in Moscow, on KLM stock.

I walked past the KLM long-haul WBC check in area and went directly to passport control, where the agent didn't want to let me proceed because my boarding pass didn't have a gate number printed on it. The person was concerned that I was in the wrong area of the airport--I realized later the concern was that I should be in the area for schengen flights, which have a separate area for passport control and security at the other end of the airport--and told me to go back to the counter and ask them to put the gate on my boarding pass.

I resisted and said that I could easily check the monitors for gate information as soon as I'm airside and find my gate with no problem. I also commented that it would probably be one of the F gates as usual.

At that point the official looked at me in puzzlement and said "Where's Minneapolis? Isn't that in Greece?"
Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Just last week in CLT on US, we were almost done boarding. A lady from somewhere behind the exit row on the A319 literally ran up to 2D, the seat next to me and plopped down. I told her that the seat was taken - I knew this because a co-worker had literally just bought it as a walk up at the ticket counter and was now hauling it through the B concourse to make it. She said it was open and she was taking it.

Before I had a chance to respond, the FA, who must've heard from the GA that they had a full fare F pax coming for that seat too, asked to see her boarding pass. She ignored her. He then showed up, and both asked her to move. She ignored them both.

We wound up with a 30 minute delay since she needed to be forcibly removed from that seat, and obviously the flight, by Charlotte PD. Idiot.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by houserulz77
Wonder what she would think if she was going from CVG to BNA....would she be thrilled about the 4 minute flight?
Or better yet, ATL-BHM or SYD-LAX -- where you would land before you even take off! Thus proving that time travel is possible.@:-)
Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Where's Minneapolis? Isn't that in Greece?"
In fairness polis is Greek for city...
Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
So as I sit here thinking how stupid this woman is to expect there to be bin space on a full flight when you board <5 min to departure and for the FAs to bend over backwards for her because she has a intl connection, I thought I'd post this and see if anyone else has some great dumb pax stories to share!
Eh? I can't count the number of times I've boarded last with my technically oversized carryon and squeezed it in the overhead bin. There's always someone who filled a whole bin with a rollerboard placed sideways or a bin with three small bags spread out leaving half the space empty vertically. I always board as late as possible and I've never once had to gate check it (excluding Dash-8 flights of course).

Having a tight international connection you'll miss seems like a perfectly good reason to ignore an uppity FA intent on enforcing some arbitrary carryon size limit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.