Community
Wiki Posts
Search

favorite dumb pax comments

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
Originally Posted by paulfoel
LOL. I think most people in the UK have the impression (perhaps correctly in some cases) that a lot of US citizens think there is no civilisation outside the USA. But then again a lot of UK people think this of the rest of europe!
And it's the case the other way around as well, a lot of europeans think that there is no civilization in the UK!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paulfoel
LOL. I think most people in the UK have the impression (perhaps correctly in some cases) that a lot of US citizens think there is no civilisation outside the USA. But then again a lot of UK people think this of the rest of europe!
That's why you call Israel/Lebanon/Syria etc. the "Middle East". The "Near East" (as most central Europeans refer to that region) is Belgium from your perspective.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by marbe166
And it's the case the other way around as well, a lot of europeans think that there is no civilization in the UK!
An impressive % of the world speak English though.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by marbe166
And both parties (actually all of us ) think we are more civilized.

Don't think there is a manual for being CIVILIZED. There are attributes in all peoples that are civilized , but also not so civilized...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: kayaker
Can we get this thread slightly back on-topic?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:01 am

Not a pax question but a friend of a friend of a friend wanted me to tell him why, if the earth is round and the plane is flying level, doesn't it fly off into space. Had to explain that the pilots put the plane into a very slight, unnoticeable dive just to keep it flying the same distance off the ground.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum/Delta GM
Originally Posted by AngryPrez
ok -- the rest of the story -- I figured my only chance was to keep her distracted from what was going on around her, so I started asking her questions - what she did, where she was from, etc - for the full 90 minute flight. Learned she was a nurse from Omaha in town for a conference, a runner, had an Aunt in DC that she was close to, loved dogs, hated her boss, had two brothers, drove a volvo, etc - pretty much got her whole life story.

Consider it a victory - she didn't need the airsickness bag on either takeoff or landing. And I scored a date with her Aunt the next week ...
WIN!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum/Delta GM
Originally Posted by brendog
I had a new employee tell me that he didn't like our corporate airline choices of AA or UA, and that he'd much rather fly WN. After slapping him repeatedly to bring him to his senses, I calmly explained that only hillbillies and Texans fly WN. After gaining status on a real airline for the first time later that year, he understood how wrong he had been.
This might be one of my favorites. I can only imagine your look of surprise upon hearing that nonsense.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:32 am

Not airplane pax, but ...

Back when I was guiding whitewater rafting trips, I was amazed by how many passengers did not understand the idea of a shuttle to drive back from the take-out point on the river. I got comments such as "Why don't we just end at the same place we started?" not just once but on a regular basis.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by schwarm

Back when I was guiding whitewater rafting trips, I was amazed by how many passengers did not understand the idea of a shuttle to drive back from the take-out point on the river. I got comments such as "Why don't we just end at the same place we started?" not just once but on a regular basis.

You mean we can't paddle back to where we started?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by schwarm

Boy oh boy ! You could have sold some bridges to these folks and retired young !
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: BA
OK, marginal aviation events.

At the parachuting club I used to be a member of, it was common for "first-timers" (usually only-timers as well) to bring their families down to watch.

In between these novice jumps we, the regulars, would get the aircraft up to 10,000 feet for ourselves, and this was watched with interest.

To us : "Is the parachute automarically opened for you from that height as well ?" "No, a static line that's 8,000 feet long hasn't been invented yet".

To each other : "Up at 10,000 feet that's difficult to breathe, isn't it ?" "Oh no, the aircraft is pressurised ....".
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:03 pm
Suspended

In the late 1960s, at an airport far, far away, I worked as a ramp agent while I was a student. Out of courtesy, I helped a l'il ole lady up the steps, into the aircraft and to her seat. She looked suspiciously at the seat and then she looked (equally suspiciously) at me.

"Where is my parachute?", quoth she. I replied that parachutes were not carried on civilian airliners, but there was a life jacket stowed under the seat, and that the crew would explain to her and the rest of the passengers when and how to use it.

Harrumphing her disgust, she pushed past me, ran the gauntlet of the rest of the passengers trying to climb the steps, and demanded to be taken back to the terminal building.

It took 40 minutes to mollify her and to get her seated again.
Old May 1, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: united, delta, british
Originally Posted by Denal1
...CVG - LAS pax asks FA "how can we be in the air for 3 hours and 37 minutes....My tickets says we are supposed to take off at 9:05 and land at 10:10....that is 1 hour and 5 minutes".....
I was flying from Fort Lauderdale to New Orleans and actually called the airline to ask why it takes one hour to get there and three hours to return. The rep just said to me, "I'm going to let you think about that for a bit and maybe you'll figure it out." And I did!

My excuse: I was 21 at the time.
Old May 1, 2012, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by bkcarolina
I was flying from Fort Lauderdale to New Orleans and actually called the airline to ask why it takes one hour to get there and three hours to return. The rep just said to me, "I'm going to let you think about that for a bit and maybe you'll figure it out." And I did!

My excuse: I was 21 at the time.
I had these problems when i was really young flying with my parents to the east coast and back, always threw me off.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.