Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

favorite dumb pax comments

favorite dumb pax comments

Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:01 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Actually, this isn't dumb, it's brilliant...

IAD. Inbound flight deplaning as I get to the gate, who should step out of the Jetway but my sister; the one I hadn't spoken to in seven or eight years at that point. We sat down at Ben and Jerry's to, uh, converse. Next thing I know, the final boarding announcement is made. I board.

My BP says 2C. Amazingly, not only is someone sitting in 2C, but, randomly, it's my friend Jerry, who happened to have been in DC for a family event that weekend. He asks what I'm doing on the plane. I asked what he was doing in my seat. He pointed to the guy in 2D and said that was actually his seat. He assumed that guy sat in the wrong seat, didn't want to make a fuss, and took what he assumed was the other guy's seat. 2D scooped up his PBD and small carryon, said he always just sits down in F and has a free drink until someone makes him move, and scooted to the back of the plane!

Jerry, his wife (2B), his son (2A) and I agreed that we admired the guy's chutzpah. (Apologies, this may have been FL and not DL. I can't remember for sure.)
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:22 am

Second fave -

Got in early, was able to make an earlier connection, but boarding had already started. An elderly lady yelled at me the whole way down the Jetway about butting in line. I had been in the SP line. She was in the regular line. Enuf said. I ignored her.

It was one of those planes where the first exit row is at the boarding door, and I was given the aisle seat in the row behind the exit row. The FA was standing across from the boarding door and witnessed this.

I put my bag in the O/H, handle out, and checked if it would close. The older woman behind me yanked my arm and told me not to do that, it was the FA's job. The O/H didn't close, so I knew I needed to flip the bag to wheels out. The woman again tried to stop me, so the FA made an announcement that everyone should make sure the O/H could close so as to not delay the flight, which would happen if they needed to take bags off at the last minute.

After quickly flipping my bag around, I again started to make sure the O/H would close. The woman started yelling at me. I ignored her. The O/H could close, so I sat down. The woman grabbed my sleeve and said, "I told you not to do that, it's the FA's job." I told her that FA had instructed otherwise, I fly several times a week and know the process, but she shouldn't let the fact that she has no idea what she's talking about stop her from giving people advice.

She marched to the FA, who had seen this unfold, and demanded that I be thrown off the plane. The FA told her to back to the gate and tell the GA that there was a boarding issue and that the FA would be there shortly to explain. The FA told me not to worry, the GA came on board, the FA explained and the old lady never got back on the plane. I wanted to get off the plane, go back to the gate and listen to her explode when she found out she had been booted off the flight.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 3:58 am

Programs: SQ & QF
This is kind of related...

My parents have an English Fish & Chip shop in the UK. A customer came in this week and said he had just had a flight from Sydney to London on Concorde and it look 8 hours. - What a fool

Also..

On an SQ flight during some pretty rough turbulence a lady decides to open the bin. I am sat across and thinking to myself somethings going to fall out. Suddenly it happens. A bag falls out bounces of the head of one man and lands on the lap of another. As a result they all got wet becuase the drink got knocked over. The lady who did this just sat down and pretended to be asleep.

Also another guy who complained a 13 hour flight was to long. He said it about 8 times, i was sick of hearing it so turned around and simply said "well you booked it"
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Then there are the blowhards who pontificate loudly on how they avoid jet lag on the ATL-SCL flight.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
This happened just 3 weeks ago and is about an Immigration funny:

I just returned to the US using Global Entry for the first time. There were long lines at both immigration and customs at ATL but I loved breezing right through.

Funniest part was after checking in at the kiosk and receiving my receipt there was only one person working with the immigration officer at the crew line so I decided to wait behind the yellow line. As soon as I did that about a dozen people waiting in the huge line at the next open desk, about 15 feet away, started hooting and hollering at me to "get in line," "no jumping lines," and so on. It got pretty raucus.

Fortunately, the officer in my crew line heard and exited his cubicle and approached the group. As he did so he glanced at my held receipt and passport and simply waved me through. As I left I heard him announce loudly, "Ladies and gentlemen, unless you are wearing a badge you have no say in who gets to use the immigration lines nor how they are processed....."

The next day I had time to stop in at the GE enrollment office in MCO and related the incident. The two officers there, whom I knew from my sign up, thought it was wonderful that the ATL officer did that. They enjoyed a nice laugh for the day and encouraged me to write to the regional chief, which I did.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, USAir SM, Starwood SPG, AVIS President's Club
ok -- the rest of the story -- I figured my only chance was to keep her distracted from what was going on around her, so I started asking her questions - what she did, where she was from, etc - for the full 90 minute flight. Learned she was a nurse from Omaha in town for a conference, a runner, had an Aunt in DC that she was close to, loved dogs, hated her boss, had two brothers, drove a volvo, etc - pretty much got her whole life story.

Consider it a victory - she didn't need the airsickness bag on either takeoff or landing. And I scored a date with her Aunt the next week ...
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold
ATL to LAX. While pax are still boarding, FA makes the usual announcement on flight time. "The captain has informed me that our flying time today will be 4 hour and 10 minutes."

Woman behind me says to husband, "I thought the sign at the gate said 4 hours 50 minutes?"

Husband, knowingly: "They must have switched for a faster plane. They do it all the time to me when I'm flying. But sometimes they switch for a slower one. Seems to happen a lot when I go out of New Jersey and New York. Never figured out why."
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:54 am

Not an airplane pax comment, but one from the Eurostar leaving Paris.

Boarding passes and whatnot are printed in 24 hour time, which as you know, is used widely in Europe. So there's another American family sitting next to us, and I hear one of the people say "I don't understand this military time. The French are rude for using it, I wish they'd use regular time like everyone else!"

I guess the French are also rude for speaking French and using Euros when Americans are present in their country
Old Jul 2, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: Waffle House DM
"I don't understand this military time. The French are rude for using it, I wish they'd use regular time like everyone else!"
The ability to subtract 12 from a number that is greater than 12, but less than 24, is usually well beyond the ability of most of the passengers I meet.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
I could go on & on about comments I read from Facebook friends about Delta, but this recent is a favorite: Friend was ranting about DL for mis-directing her checked bag when it contained IMPORTANT work papers, GIFTS for the kids and...wait for it...her CAR KEYS inside! She considered it an EPIC FAIL & was sending an e-mail to DL to tell them she can't wait for Southwest to get to ATL so she can jump ship.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta, United
A PAX walked into Logan airport, looked a bit confused as they were not sure which line they should get into. Finally, asked a Red Coat which line they should get in to for the shuttles to Boston. The Red Coat quickly replied that they were in Boston.

BTW I was the PAX - it had been a long day .
Old Jul 2, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
A PAX walked into Logan airport, looked a bit confused as they were not sure which line they should get into. Finally, asked a Red Coat which line they should get in to for the shuttles to Boston. The Red Coat quickly replied that they were in Boston.

Reminiscent of a similar experience of mine. After a long day and still not there, a trip interrupted by weather and including reroutes - I had a short connection - ran up to a GA and asked, where is the flight to CVG - answer, Sir you ARE in CVG.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 9:26 am

Similar to the two posts above - Got to the gate, saw everyone boarding through the regular line, even though it was probably ten minutes before boarding should have started. Went through the SP line. The scanner beeped the bad noise, but the GA just ripped off the piece of BP and I went down the Jetway. Took my seat, another passenger is assigned the same seat, she looks at my BP and says, "Sir, right seat, wrong flight." I had the walk of shame back to the gate. It was an earlier flight that had been delayed which was boarding. The GA saw me walking off and apologized.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: DL: PM/2MM; MHG; HH;
If you read twitter and follow @Delta and @DeltaAssist, I could make a fortune off of the times I have read the "I'll never fly this airline again" comment. Also heard it at the counters and gates in airports numerous times. I'm guessing these kettles don't get out much. And also the people complaining about the price to check a bag these days. My guess here is they haven't flown in a while and the last time they did, Orville Wright was the captain on that plane.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar

Funny.. I had similar incidents, showing up at the airport and forgetting where I was going to (to the point I had to check my calendar in my phone....).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.