Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I won the "trip to anywhere in the world" (up to $20k)! So...where should we go?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I won the "trip to anywhere in the world" (up to $20k)! So...where should we go?!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
So OP picked the trip yet? Curious..

and was it everything the contest says it would be?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by BettyKat
...but keep the ideas coming!!
May not apply to you and yours if you don't ski or snowboard, but if I had that deal, I would book a heli-ski trip in Alaska or Canada. They are expensive, and one-in-a-lifetime type memories.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
OP, the choice is simple.

There is a flight from NYC to Johannesburg (14 hours). Once there, you connect to a flight to Kruger National Park and spend your 5 days as lavishly as you could possibly imagine.

You should extend your stay and then travel down the east coast to Ballito, a small town 20 km north of Durban, and have some of the most magnificent beach days the Indian Ocean has to offer.

Equally as good would be to fly into Port Elizabeth and schedule a "garden route' tour that leaves you in Capetown and goes through stollenbosch (sp?) which is equivalent to the south african Napa Valley.

Or you could just fly into Capetown and stay 5 days in their wine country.

Personally though, if I had $20k I would try to get a sailboat and do a Mediterranean tour starting in Morocco to egypt, up to barcelona, and ending in Greece.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
ancien maestro, we likely will not decide until 2012 - we have an apartment move and job issues coming up in the next 3-6 months. we have to take the trip by 5/16/12 so it's likely to be an april-type trip, would be my guess.

and i saw the other facts others posted about what that means in terms of safari. it sounds like if we do that we'd be in shoulder season. that's ok. may not be ideal, but it'd be ok.

i'm not opposed to stuff like the cruise around greece, etc. i guess i just feel, right or wrong, like i could afford that....i more lean towards the four seasons type stuff, bora bora, fiji, africa, etc.

so yes, my earlier comment stands: keep the ideas coming! lots of time to decide and other issues we need to solve in our life anyway...

p.s.: my boyfriend does snowboard so the heliski type thing is semi an option...not sure how much fun it'd be for me (tried snowboard lesson, ridiculously bad, aborted in the middle....skiing lessons, better, but not a natural).

we do play volleyball (it's how we met). for whatever that's worth. in the scheme of a $20k trip, not much i'd say...but i bet there'd be some good beach volleyball in french polynesia!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Rovos - Africa by Rail

Old Jul 24, 2011, 5:19 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Sorry for all the graphics but I find them intoxicating and wanted to share. Now no one quote that post please!

Rovos offer old-fashioned, luxury train safaris from South Africa to Victoria Falls and I can't think of a more enticing manner of land travel.

Rovos - Africa by Rail

Edit: what the hey, here's a few more

Last edited by China Clipper; Jul 24, 2011 at 5:26 am
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Banff Springs is an option if you want to Heliski.. I've been up to the Fairmont Banff Springs Presidential Suite.. they've got one of the nicest world class spas I've ever been in.. plus the Banffshire would be excellent principle supper to take in..

Definitely some memories to be created if you want to take in a once in a lifetime type excursion, skiing on a mountain, no one has hardly ever skied before..
Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
I know people who have been to every continent on the planet ... Except Antarctica.

Among my friends and business colleagues, probably every country (even some not quite countries like Transnierst) has been visted. Except Antarctica.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:54 pm

The trip background/details
So, I won a trip to anywhere sweepstakes (sponsored by American Express travel, but they have me working with a travel agent at Travel by Design to fulfill it). The prize I won "is a five (5) night trip for two (2) to a destination selected by winner (subject to Sponsor’s approval), not to exceed $21,000 in value." It includes:

• Coach-class air transportation for two (2) from a major airport near winner’s home to the winner's selected destination city
• five (5) nights' accommodations at a hotel (single room, double occupancy)
• $1,000 spending money (awarded as a check) for winner only
• $100 American Express gift card
• Depending on the destination of trip selected by the winner, other various activities, as well as meals and ground transportation may be included, but the total trip value, including the $1,000 spending money, will not exceed $21,000

The key part here is the $20k in that last bullet point. It has to be "spent" (meaning, we can't book a trip for $4k and ask for $16k in cash). It has to be sponsor-approved. And yes, we can go anywhere in the world (again, pending their approval...but they've already heard all of the ideas below and not blinked).

About us/our interests
We live in Manhattan. We have up to one year from May 2011 to take the trip. Our lease is up 10/1/11 and we may or may not relocate (West Coast - boyfriend's family is there). This means we have already told the sponsors we are likely to actually take the trip in 2012...but in any case, it means we will either be flying out of NYC or a major California airport (LAX, SFO, etc., depending).

We are safety conscious (meaning, not folks likely to travel to Afghanistan, other countries on the U.S. state department warning list). We are Spanish and English speaking. We have been to Europe (several countries). We have been to only one country in Asia (South Korea). We have been to Mexico, St. Maarten, Puerto Rico (and in any case, Caribbean is clearly not the best use of $20k!). We have not been to South America, although the boyfriend has family in Chile. We have one cat.

The question for you is...where should we go that maximizes the $20k?
Top contenders for us at the moment are:
  • African safari (private bungalows, security, the whole nine yards)
  • Tahiti (private yacht around French Polynesia, etc.)
  • Antarctica (although travel agent says this may leave us hard-pressed to spend the $20k...apparently there isn't a whole lot to actually do there)
  • Australia/New Zealand

Final points to consider
  • We are waiting to hear back if they will allow us to take biz class instead of coach (this would obviously use up more of the travel $$)
  • They have already indicated we can extend the stay at our expense (meaning, stay 10 nights as long as they only pay for the 5 nights in the rules)

I'm open to any and all ideas. This is obviously the trip of a lifetime and we really want to make the most of it, as we may never have the opportunity to go anywhere in the world and spend $20,000 on it!

The travel agent told me the best way to maximize the $20k is through "package deals," meaning a hotel that includes breakfast, etc. She may or may not be as experienced as the folks on flyertalk (she is based in Georgia, seems very nice, but I don't know her background whereas as I do know from my years on flyertalk that there are real experts here. ^

So...if you had $20k to spend on such a trip....and you could go anywhere in the world...where would you go? And if it's different than what you'd recommend for us given the above, where do you recommend we go?

Regards,
Katherine
I have seen quite a few Safari answers, and I would have to agree. One of my bathroom reading books, is "1000 Places to See Before You Die" the Hot Air Balloon Safari looks beyond cool. Do some photography on the ground, in the Air. Hands down would be my choice.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:59 pm

ancien maestro, we likely will not decide until 2012 - we have an apartment move and job issues coming up in the next 3-6 months. we have to take the trip by 5/16/12 so it's likely to be an april-type trip, would be my guess.

p.s.: my boyfriend does snowboard so the heliski type thing is semi an option...not sure how much fun it'd be for me (tried snowboard lesson, ridiculously bad, aborted in the middle....skiing lessons, better, but not a natural).
March-April is peak season in Alaska for heli-skiing/boarding. You have all winter to practice.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:41 am

An unexotic suggestion: the all inclusive Royal Scotsman train/tour in Scotland following the "whisky trails." Open bar. Fine dining. --I mention this because I had "won" this trip but declined: DH is allergic to alcohol and I rarely have a drink. Also included a stay at St. Andrews and we don't golf. ---The " per sponsor approval"can take time,too ...and would there be any "black out" periods to contend with per your choice?

All in all, CONGRATULATIONS on your win! I have enjoyed the suggestions for your trip.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by FlyingAroundYou
I have seen quite a few Safari answers, and I would have to agree. One of my bathroom reading books, is "1000 Places to See Before You Die" the Hot Air Balloon Safari looks beyond cool. Do some photography on the ground, in the Air. Hands down would be my choice.
Does single room/ 2 persons mean standard room, excluding suites and villas?

There are plenty of resorts where minimum entry is USD $2000+ per night for standard category.

What about taking a trip to Thailand, and using it for five nights at Four Seasons Golden Triangle (room rate usually over $2000/night) Then, you could extend your stay in other parts of Thailand at your own expense.

Fregate or North Island in Seycelles

Banyan Tree Madivaru, Maldives $3000/night inclusive of full board.

Also, check out Aman Resorts packages in places that interest you.

I would try to get the economy tickets booked on an airline on which I could upgrade to business class. Full fare business class for two people could easily use up more than half of the $20,000, leaving you with fewer options for a resort.

Also, I would not worry necessarily about finding the most expensive possible destination- Find the destination that you most want to go to. It is very easy to spend $20,000 at a lot of high end resorts.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 27, 2011 at 1:17 am
Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:40 am

• Coach-class air transportation for two (2) from a major airport near winner’s home to the winner's selected destination city
five (5) nights' accommodations at a hotel (single room, double occupancy)
• $1,000 spending money (awarded as a check) for winner only
• $100 American Express gift card
• Depending on the destination of trip selected by the winner, other various activities, as well as meals and ground transportation may be included, but the total trip value, including the $1,000 spending money, will not exceed $21,000

The first question I would ask is whether or not you have the choice of the category of accommodation at a hotel or resort. If you are allowed to pick any suite, or villa at a resort, then you will have countless choices of destinations where you can spend $3,000 + per night.

If it is not your choice, and Amex will only pay for entry level accommodation, then you should find a resort that has either only one category of accommodation, or one that has a very high minimum entry price.

In my post above I listed some options that have either only one category, or very high minimum entry (base category is already $2,000 plus per night) You can also look into packages that would include expnsive activities- such as a package inclusive of Scuba diving lessons/certification that would be worth thousands of dollars.

As I said though, if you can choose the suite/villa category that you want, you will have more choices. Almost any Aman resort or Four Seasons resort will have options that are $3,000+ per night.

I would definitely look for a package at a resort that would include full board. (all meals included)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Also, I would not worry necessarily about finding the most expensive possible destination- Find the destination that you most want to go to. It is very easy to spend $20,000 at a lot of high end resorts.
While I agree go to a place where you want to.. it may be that the choice is made going to a second or third choice given the opportunity cost per se..

The window of opportunity is now to hit up a place you wouldn't normally go to, simply because the budget is there to do it..

I would carefully weigh the importance, and conduct an analysis of the probability of going back to the desired place on your own at a later date.. weighing the financial feasibility of doing such.. weighing this as a factor..
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
Smile I'm baaa-aaaaack!

happy new year all! we are forced by father time to get it together and book this trip. i re-read all of your comments and feedback today...thank you!

bora bora remains at the top (or something nearby). fiji and the maldives have reappeared. questions:
  • anyone been to Dhoni Mighili (6 villas only in the maldives, butler, boat, etc.)? or have a better recommendation? the idea of a private villa AND a boat is very appealing. soneva gili by six senses also looks quite nice.
  • has anyone been to jean-michel cousteau resort (http://www.fijiresort.com/PRvilla.shtml) in fiji? or have a better fiji recommendation?

i want to remind folks that i have the option to fly business class OR extend the trip to 7 days (official rules call for 5 days). in case this affects recommendations....

regards,
katherine

p.s.: four seasons bora bora seems to the best/highest end option there...hence no questions...but if anyone disagrees that that's the best option in that area, feel free to say so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.