Reload this Page >

Will You Switch Seats with my Husband?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will You Switch Seats with my Husband?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:25 pm

I like that -- "Sure, just pay me the $400 fare difference." Odds of them taking that deal are about equal to the odds of me going from F to Y for free.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:13 pm

Everyone's pointed out that perhaps women get asked to move more than men, but in my experience, it is the women who are doing the asking more often than not. It's like the couple believes that no one could say no to the woman.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alanh
I like that -- "Sure, just pay me the $400 fare difference." Odds of them taking that deal are about equal to the odds of me going from F to Y for free.
More likely more than $400.. they might actually take it as compared to retail.. more of a difference?

Originally Posted by xooz
Everyone's pointed out that perhaps women get asked to move more than men, but in my experience, it is the women who are doing the asking more often than not. It's like the couple believes that no one could say no to the woman.
I dunno.. my wife thinks the man should ask.. and always pressures me to do the 'dirty' work.. asking that is.. in various instances.. not just travelling..
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL GE
Just crazy how often this topic comes up. Just say no, put the headphones back on and go on with life LOL

Oddest thing to see this discussion so much..
Old Jun 19, 2011, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pragakhan
Just crazy how often this topic comes up. Just say no, put the headphones back on and go on with life LOL

Oddest thing to see this discussion so much..
LOL..

These are topics that seems to get alot of FTers interested? Another topic idea.. Will You Switch Seats with my Child?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by xooz
Oh, I agree that it is also often the woman doing the asking. Just wander over to a leisure (especially Disney-related) travel site and bring up this topic.

We are all horrible human beings for refusing to switch so that someone who chose not to pay for a seat assignment can force us out of our seats.

And I have met more than a few of those women in person, including the woman who screamed at me at the gate at MCO for not moving even though I had a visbile physical reason for not doing so, and the (non-rev) woman who screamed her husband's position and station with UA at me on a flight for not moving.

I would say that I have seen more women than men on the internet being the ones trying to move people, but in real life my experience has been split equally amongst rude entitled women and rude entitled men.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by exbayern
We are all horrible human beings for refusing to switch so that someone who chose not to pay for a seat assignment can force us out of our seats.
If I had paid for a seat assignment and the swap was not completely equivalent in *my* view, I would want that money refunding by the airline or paying to me by the person asking for the swap.

If I've paid for something, I should have it or have a refund. That's different from if I've just asked for it, chosen it myself (on low-costs with no allocation) etc.

Neil
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by pacer142
This probably is reasonable if, on a full flight, a couple have booked the A and C seat, and another passenger unrelated to them has ended up with the B between them, and the couple wish to talk rather than keeping themselves to themselves. One of the couple should accept a request from the middle-seat passenger that they move to the middle to give the other person the window or aisle, IMO. It's otherwise quite rude to talk over the top of the person in the middle who may want quiet.

If the couple want to sleep, watch movies, read a book or whatever, declining the request would be reasonable, OTOH.

l
I think any traveling couple that books A/C with an open B that later gets filled is presumptively obliged to offer to exchange window or aisle for the middle.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
I think any traveling couple that books A/C with an open B that later gets filled is presumptively obliged to offer to exchange window or aisle for the middle.
What if the person in the middle really likes their seat?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by byronczimmer
What if the person in the middle really likes their seat?
Then the couple is out of luck.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
I disagree. I will often book this combination with my GF. She likes to read, and I don't mind watching iPad movies.
We BOTH hate the middle.

YMMV. Dave
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bseller
I disagree. I will often book this combination with my GF. She likes to read, and I don't mind watching iPad movies.
We BOTH hate the middle.

YMMV. Dave
IMHO a moral obligation to switch would kick in only if the couple want to converse or do crosswords literally across the middle seat pax. Mrs. Fredd and I recently chose seats across the aisle from each other on one of our recent no-status SYD-DRW flights on QF and that worked out well.

Needless to say, a major reason to book aisle-window is the hope that you discourage anybody from booking the middle.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Fredd
IMHO a moral obligation to switch would kick in only if the couple want to converse or do crosswords literally across the middle seat pax.
Fair enough, I can see where you come from here.
Mrs. Fredd and I recently chose seats across the aisle from each other on one of our recent no-status SYD-DRW flights on QF and that worked out well.
Yes, that can work nicely if both like aisles.

Dave
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bseller
Yes, that can work nicely if both like aisles
As to the thread, we would rarely ask to switch any more. Like others, we split our itins on UA for UG purposes and if we end up apart in C on 10-14 hour flights we might ask if the people beside us haven't already boarded and settled in, but only if it's an even to good swap for them.

Between flying a lot and having just celebrated our 42nd anniversary, Mrs. Fredd in particular seems to get along just fine without me at her side for a few hours.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Needless to say, a major reason to book aisle-window is the hope that you discourage anybody from booking the middle.
Twice, I was the person stuck in the middle of people traveling together.

Once on DL, it was two drunken middle aged men. This was the only seat left when I booked, and even though I checked every day, and asked at the gate, I never got a new seat. They kept joking back and forth and reaching over and hitting each other. I offered to trade, and they both informed me they don't like middle seats.

Another time on UA, my flight was canceled and I was re-booked in a middle seat between a husband and wife. They kept asking me to pass things back and forth, and they spoke to each other the entire flight across me. Again, I asked to trade, and neither wanted the middle seat.

I understand my trade off was not a good one, middle for aile or window. But in both cases, I think it is incredibly inappropriate of them to book an aisle and window, and then expect to carry on as if there was no one in the middle seat.
Cotumely likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.