Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How often do you use hotel room-service dining while travelling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

are the food as good as if you ate from the restaurant?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:25 pm

If it's available, I always give room service a shot at least once during my trips. For the most part, I never wind up eating in their restaurant to make the comparison. But I have gotten lucky with really good and fresh food from room service. The one time I did try the restaurant and room service was at the Hyatt Regency on the waterfront landing in Jacksonville, Fl. Very good.^
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:40 pm

I don't usually stay in hotels with restaurants but when I do I'll usually use room service one night. Particularly if it's the first night and I'm beat from the travel.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by MSchott
I don't usually stay in hotels with restaurants but when I do I'll usually use room service one night. Particularly if it's the first night and I'm beat from the travel.
That's when I am likely to do it. After flying a long ways I am not interested in driving to a restaurant.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I reserve room service for 1.) when I have limited time in the morning for breakfast and 2.) if I arrive rather late and simply do not feel like going out.

I have had some excellent breakfasts in the room and there were several hotels where the room service waiter came with a toaster in the cart so the toast would be hot and not soggy.

I particularly remember enjoying an excellent in room continental breakfast at the Vier Jahreszeiten in Munich where I could look out my windows onto the Maximilianstraße.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:52 pm

If I am on business, quite often as I don't have the energy to go out for dinner every night and I can expense the cost.

If I am on pleasure, I prefer to eat out as I can avoid the ridiculous mark-up/service charges and explore the local fare a bit.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:53 pm

If I'm travelling solo and it's available, pretty much every night. The last thing I want after a long day on the road is to have any human interaction aside from signing a cheque.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Never used it.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

All the time when I'm alone
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS
I generally only end up with room service on business trips and then it's a sign that we've too stinking busy to get out, or even go downstairs. The room service knock is my indication that this trip is worth my team's time.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
As my travel always has me going to larger cities and staying in downtown cores, I almost never need to order room service.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
If I am on business, quite often as I don't have the energy to go out for dinner every night and I can expense the cost.

If I am on pleasure, I prefer to eat out as I can avoid the ridiculous mark-up/service charges and explore the local fare a bit.
+1 I do try to go out when on business but some nights I'm just way too knackered and all I want is a cup of soup and a salad
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
I try to eat out when traveling, mostly to sample local cuisine. I try to avoid room service in general because of its price, $12 meal, plus $3 delivery fee, plus 20% gratuity automatically added. ends up being more then id want to spend when i get hungry
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Always use it at least once during a stay. If I am staying a week or more, I consider having room service "eating at home" ...... LOL
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
As my travel always has me going to larger cities and staying in downtown cores, I almost never need to order room service.
The OP did not ask if you need to use it; he asked if you do use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.