Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotel Services Sanity Check

Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Basic question: should I reasonably expect bell service (i.e luggage assistance) to be available when checking into a 3 or 4-star "full service" hotel?

Background - we were booked into a major chain full service hotel property (3 or 4 star rating, depending on source) for a four-night stay to attend an event that was being held at that same hotel's attached conference center. I usually go self-help with bags to room, but after a long, stressful day on the road I really wanted some help to make the process go easier, and was of course willing to tip accordingly.

After being given the room key, turned around and saw that the bell desk on the other side of the lobby was unmanned. Returned to the front desk and was told that the one bellman on duty was "off site" and thus unavailable. Was further informed that the luggage carts were "circulating" - meaning that I was completely on my own to find one. There were a fair number of people checking in, since the hotel was sold out for the event - which btw was in planing for a year, and the hotel has been sold out for the past six months.

Eventually obtained a cart through the grace of another guest who noticed how long I had been waiting - front desk staff (neither of them, only two present for a 300-room hotel) was of no further help.

Discussed situation with hotel GM next day and was dismissed with "the problem was all the members of your group checking in at the same time", no apology, no acceptance of any responsibility. This is factually incorrect, only about one-third checked in on the night before the event began, remainder checked in next day. And, I have no control over what time other individuals attending the same event may choose to check in.

Same event was held at another hotel last year, and that property's solution was to keep a list in arrival order of guests requesting use of a cart or asking for bell service. When a cart or bellman became available, guest at top of list was paged. This was a perfectly agreeable solution to me.

So, am I wrong to expect bell service to be available at a "full-service" hotel, and that the hotel would be staffed to handle the guest checkins known at least six months in advance, or this just a level of service that is a thing of the past?

Tom
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I hate bell service, as it always seems they grab your bags whether you want them or not.

Sounds like they should have had more staff there for the rush. Mention that to your group's organizers to help hem plan where to hold the event next year.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:10 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Unless they made some sort of representation that they provide bell service, I don't think you're justified in "expecting" anything.

Most people don't want or like bell service anyway, so I'm not surprised the staff didn't care.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum

How many bags did you have? Did they not roll? I typically see users of bell service as non-business travelers with children and a lot bags. Maybe I missed something and you had a lot of stuff for this conference.

As for that expectation, I've been to a lot of business meetings/conferences where the headcount is in excess of 800 and while these are JW's and Ritz's capacity just does not allow it. If I were on a vacation and not there for a large conference I think expectations would be that it should be available.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:48 am

I'd expect it, but certainly wouldn't expect any compensation if it wasn't available. It is true though that if there is no bell service they should have readily available luggage carts.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

It sounds like the hotel should have organised more staff to be on duty if they were sold out for a conference. I also think the GM could have apologised.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Sounds like a crappy hotel with poor service standards.

Chances are the bellman was running a shuttle somewhere - I had friend who worked front desk at a fairly craptacular but "4 star" place and he had to drive the shuttle to places on occasion. They'd just grab anyone on staff, even maintenance, to run the shuttle around so they could claim they offered shuttle service to X, Y, and Z.

Honestly, "the problem was that your group was all checking in at once" is a remark that would cause me to resist backhanding the manager as someone trained extensively in customer service. Seriously, makes me want to take my white glove off and slap him across the face with it.

The problem is not that any number of people showed up at a particular time - it's that the hotel was understaffed and pretending to offer an amenity it does not. Real high end hotels have dedicated bell staff, always have someone working the luggage room, and more than enough carts - which are used by bell staff and thus retrieved, not just "take that if you need it."

There's not much you can really do about it - if they are a chain be certain to mention how crappy they were to the higher ups - but you're not wrong in being upset. It's not like you went to a cheap roach motel with outside corridors and a free breakfast and were shocked no one would help you with your bags. They have bell services, they should HAVE bell services.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Originally Posted by sm82
How many bags did you have? Did they not roll? I typically see users of bell service as non-business travelers with children and a lot bags. Maybe I missed something and you had a lot of stuff for this conference.

As for that expectation, I've been to a lot of business meetings/conferences where the headcount is in excess of 800 and while these are JW's and Ritz's capacity just does not allow it. If I were on a vacation and not there for a large conference I think expectations would be that it should be available.
My hospitality experience comes from working for a company that specializes in "Vacations" and yet hosts conferences regularly. The hotel with highest convention capacity has room for 6,690 attendees.

If the company had created an under-staffing situation that led to this sort of service, heads would roll.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:03 am

Hotels can't win.

Offer bell service people complain about bellmen (bellpeople?) grabbing bags and yet another person you feel pressured to tip.

Don't offer it and people complain it's not available.

I do agree with the lack of luggage carts. There are never enough of those things around it seems.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by twb3
Basic question: should I reasonably expect bell service (i.e luggage assistance) to be available when checking into a 3 or 4-star "full service" hotel?
I think it should "be available", yes. I had the something of the same experience at the JW Indy, came in with a husband on crutches and a massive amount of luggage and the staff just stood by and watched us struggle. Acceptable for a Fairfield Inn, not the JW. The manager rather snottily informed us later that there was a conference in town and and carrying our own luggage was standard for a convention hotel. As if we should have known what the hotel's schedule was (we were there on vacation).

Then again, it's a balancing act for the staff, because there's another hotel that yanks my 22" rollaboard out of my hands as soon as I enter the lobby. But really, they should be able to determine who needs the service and who doesn't.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by lovely15
Then again, it's a balancing act for the staff, because there's another hotel that yanks my 22" rollaboard out of my hands as soon as I enter the lobby. But really, they should be able to determine who needs the service and who doesn't.
Also, if they really aren't sure whether or not someone needs/wants help, why not just ask? Or even ask everyone? That way Ms. 22" Rolling Bag Who's Mid Chemo and Exhausted would still get help, and Ms. Eight Bags Whose Three NFL Linebacker Sons Will Be Here in a Second could graciously decline.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Discussed situation with hotel GM next day and was dismissed with "the problem was all the members of your group checking in at the same time"
This sort of excuse really bothers me. I was at a hotel that was hosting a conference, and there was no hot water in the morning. Upon reporting this to the front desk, the response was "Oh, that happens whenever we have a conference - everyone takes a shower an hour before it starts!" The implication was that it was like an "Act of God" situation that was beyond the hotel's control, but it was far from it. In fact, if a hotel is in the business of hosting conferences, it should be prepared for all that means, from dealing with a crunch of people checking in the night before to having enough hot water for everyone.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the perspectives. For general information, this was a historical reenactment type of event that most attendees had a carload of baggage for - four or more costume changes over the weekend. I understand that this creates a greater than normal demand, and was perfectly willing to wait my turn, but that was not offered.

And yes, the sole bellman on duty was driving an airport shuttle.

I think the hotel was inadequately prepared for this event, even with six months or more to plan. I lay responsibility for that squarely in the GM's lap. A couple of direct quotes from him:

"I could have had 20 bellmen on and it wouldn't have been enough" - perhaps true, but there were not 20, not 10, not five, but one...and he was not in the hotel.

"We have people that fill in when we are short on bell staff" - so, where were they?

Basically, he blamed his customers for the problem over and over again.

At this point my issue is not the original problem, but the manager's rude, patronizing, arrogant, unapologetic, and dismissive treatment. I will be pursuing that up the management chain.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
At this point my issue is not the original problem, but the manager's rude, patronizing, arrogant, unapologetic, and dismissive treatment. I will be pursuing that up the management chain.
Definitely pursue this matter with upper level management. Make it known that the GM needs to be aware that he is in the "hospitality" business.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3* no 4* yes i think that is one of the features that distinguish the two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.