Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:35 pm

Mirror Lake on Snowy Range in the Medicine Bow Forest, Wyoming. I saw this years ago and never forgot it.

Bobette
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
The flight museum in Charlotte NC. I had no idea Charlotte's history with aviation. When I saw the actual aircraft recovered from the Hudson that Sully captained, I almost xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by obscure2k; Aug 3, 2015 at 6:49 pm Reason: inappropriate language
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue ; Qatar Privilege Club, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Belgrade Fortress.
+1

I love the signs on the edge that say, "don't climb here you could get killed"
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The Montreal Canadiens Hall of fame at the Bell Centre in Montreal. It's closing at the end of the month sadly but it's free right now so I encourage anyone with a passing interest in hockey or more to see it if they can. They have some great exhibits and a huge collection of memorabilia and a lot of fun hockey stories.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA
Was not known to me. The red rocks in Sedona, Arizona. Took a small detour to get there on the way to the grand canyon which I was not impressed with.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Kroeller Mueller Museum inside the Hoge Veluwe National Park in the Netherlands are both so amazing I almost don't want to post them here!!
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Did anyone mention Antelope Canyon in Arizona? Breathtaking and surreal!!!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:07 am

Crystal Geyser near Green River, Utah.

I saw it years ago and was fascinated - nowadays its starting to lose some life.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Where I'm camping right now: L'le d'Orlans, Qubec. Peaceful, lovely weather, beautiful bucolic surroundings, close to Quebec City, the opportunity to practice my French -- and all an easy two-day drive from home.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:55 am

1) Al Uhla, Saudi Arabia. You may know Petra in Jordan... this is the same civilisation (the nabateans). Al Uhla is actually bigger than Petra and NOT A SINGLE TOURIST around. You just drive through this landscape dotted with tombs and check them out on your own, Indiana-Jones style.
Also nearby is the old 1st world war railway line that was successfully destroyed by Lawrence of Arabia. the railway cars with bullet holes are still there (it's an arid desert), fully preserved. looks like a filmset, but it's the real thing!

2) Gobekli Tepe, Turkey (East of Urfa, close to Syrian border). Mankind's first temple. Awesome reliefs. The thing is 12,000 years old, mind-boggling. Stonehenge is brand-new in comparison.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Where I'm camping right now
You're out camping but still checking in on FT
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by DrewGzy
You're out camping but still checking in on FT
I know. This is the first campground I've been to that has wifi. Sick, eh?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Nick Frei
1) Al Uhla, Saudi Arabia. You may know Petra in Jordan... this is the same civilisation (the nabateans). Al Uhla is actually bigger than Petra and NOT A SINGLE TOURIST around. You just drive through this landscape dotted with tombs and check them out on your own, Indiana-Jones style.
Also nearby is the old 1st world war railway line that was successfully destroyed by Lawrence of Arabia. the railway cars with bullet holes are still there (it's an arid desert), fully preserved. looks like a filmset, but it's the real thing!

2) Gobekli Tepe, Turkey (East of Urfa, close to Syrian border). Mankind's first temple. Awesome reliefs. The thing is 12,000 years old, mind-boggling. Stonehenge is brand-new in comparison.
Al Uhla sounds really interesting, have to check it out. (Oh and welcome to FlyerTalk!)

Gobekli Tepe is on my bucket list for my next trip to Turkey.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:33 am

Amarillo Beach in Tenerife: PHOTO

Cathedral Cliffs in New Zealand: PHOTO

Sargans village in Switzerland: PHOTO
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by tupungato
Amarillo Beach in Tenerife: PHOTO

Cathedral Cliffs in New Zealand: PHOTO

Sargans village in Switzerland: PHOTO
Just FYI: your links do not work

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.