Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Madam Tussauds in London!

Its expensive very crowded, with so many tourists, all pushing each other to get a turn to have a picture taken next to what is an obvious wax replica of David Beckham, Bill Clinton or any other empty celebrity you chose.

It takes tourist tat to a whole extreme level!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidYYC

Its expensive very crowded, with so many tourists, all pushing each other to get a turn to have a picture taken next to what is an obvious wax replica of David Beckham, Bill Clinton or any other empty celebrity you chose.

Yeah, I've never understood the appeal of wax museums. Only been to one once (corporate party, MT Vegas), but I can't imagine actually paying to go in.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Skyman65
Yeah, I've never understood the appeal of wax museums. Only been to one once (corporate party, MT Vegas), but I can't imagine actually paying to go in.
For some reason I thought Tussaud's was only in London, but I think they are in many cities.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Surprised to see Cape Town listed. The pictures seem so pretty. When I was there the weather was bad and hardly saw anything. The town seemed cute though.

Table Mountain is the real overrated "attraction". I am not denying that Cape Town is pretty but not as pretty as some South Africans make it out to be.If you are talking about scale Mount Wellington is higher than Table Mountain.
Table mountain is actually a fairly unattractive rock/boulder. There are many places with rocky outcrops as a back drop; they can be seen all over the world, for example Spain. San Francisco is very scenic as is Vancouver and Santorini addition to Hobart and Rio. We have places in the UK such as the Lake District which are absolutely stunning.

I read all the hype and when I visited I thought Cape Town was pretty like thousands of other sea resorts, but nothing more. Table Mountain on the other hand was a big let down and I was expecting something more attractive with the wow factor.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
For some reason I thought Tussaud's was only in London, but I think they are in many cities.
I think the Flagship is in London. But they have many branches. From their website:

Visit us across the globe:
America
Hollywood
Las Vegas
New York
Washington D.C.

Europe
Amsterdam
Berlin
Blackpool
London
Vienna

Asia
Bangkok
Hong Kong
Tokyo
Shanghai

Australia
Sydney
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue

What were you expecting it to be like? Personally if I go into anything built as a tourist attraction I expect to be under-whelmed
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Yes - I have never been - and I went to University in London + hundreds of other times on business. As a matter of interest, I have never stood in line to see the crown jewels either.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jan 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
Macau
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
I checked out Table Mountain since everybody's been dissing it. I agree; it doesn't look impressive at all to me in the pictures. Grand Mesa in Colorado looked far more impressive in pictures and when I passed through Grand Junction. How do they compare?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agp423
Anything in Chicago basically.
These kids disagree.

Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by flamingpanties
I checked out Table Mountain since everybody's been dissing it. I agree; it doesn't look impressive at all to me in the pictures. Grand Mesa in Colorado looked far more impressive in pictures and when I passed through Grand Junction. How do they compare?

Just checked out Grand Mesa, the largest flat topped mountain in the world.
It looks amazing and one of the unsung gems of the USA. Certainly in the UK we get bombarded with adverts for Florida, California and Las Vegas but not Colorado. Having seen it I certainly want to visit. I couldn't see too many photos of the view from it, but presumably you can look down on several of the numerous lakes which surround it.

Having seen this jaw dropping scenery (albeit from photographs) I can certainly recommend giving Table Mountain a miss and heading for Grand Mesa instead. Just reinforces my opinion of Table Mountain as being overrated. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by ukdweller
Just checked out Grand Mesa, the largest flat topped mountain in the world.
It looks amazing and one of the unsung gems of the USA. Certainly in the UK we get bombarded with adverts for Florida, California and Las Vegas but not Colorado. Having seen it I certainly want to visit. I couldn't see too many photos of the view from it, but presumably you can look down on several of the numerous lakes which surround it.

Having seen this jaw dropping scenery (albeit from photographs) I can certainly recommend giving Table Mountain a miss and heading for Grand Mesa instead. Just reinforces my opinion of Table Mountain as being overrated. Thanks for sharing.
You're very welcome. I can also add that the Grand Mesa area is CO wine country.

I took several coast-2-coast bus trips on the Greyhound bus, and consider CO the most beautiful state I passed through once you get past the praries of eastern CO that resemble Kansas. For great scenery you should venture into the Rocky Mountains, areas around Durango and the byways of CO leading into NM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:03 pm

The "diamond museum" in Amsterdam. Maybe not a true tourist attraction (trap?). I don't think it's a real museum. Mostly just a bunch of diamonds for sale. Cutting and polishing were ok to see. In Museumplein, detour of about 15 minutes so not a big time waster..
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LftMn
The "diamond museum" in Amsterdam. Maybe not a true tourist attraction (trap?). I don't think it's a real museum. Mostly just a bunch of diamonds for sale.
Yeah, I think it's mostly just a place for tour operators to earn some commission.

Complete waste of time, IMO.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:08 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Plymouth Rock (US state of Massachusetts). Pretty sure that, because pilgrims landed in that area, signs for "Plymouth soil" would be just as valid...and just as lackluster.

I'd take the OceanSpray (cranberry juice company) plant over the well-guarded rock any day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.