Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
My vote is Venice Beach in CA. Unless you're looking for a prescription for medical marijuana, no need to go. It's dirty, creepy and scared my kids.
I disagree here. Maybe the beach itself is overrated, but Venice is a great place. One sip at Intelligentsia Coffee there will forever change your definition of espresso...
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Lots of people have mentioned Avebury as more satisfying to visit than Stonehenge - I am not going to disagree. In fact, I take a little bit of North Wilts pride in the matter.

However, I think it's not a matter of archeological significance that makes people feel that Avebury is a better place to visit. I think it's more to do with the fact that you can enjoy Avebury without a feeling of being ripped off, herded around, and prevented from appreciating the site.

How the powers that be managed to turn Stonehenge into such a complete cluster***k of a tourist trap and hell hole is beyond me. It ought to be a spectacular experience. (It's also a mystery how they've managed to keep the crowds coming).
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Food is the attraction!

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
If we expand this to cuisine, then the Middle East. I kept looking for authentic local cuisine until I was told to not bother.
Originally Posted by rjw242
Though it's technically not "Hawaiian," the raw fish there is to die for. A meal of sushi/sashimi that would cost $60 in LA is more like $20 in Hilo, and better quality to boot.

But yeah, fried spam with gravy and rice -- yuck.
I personally think that food is a critical component of the tourist attraction! When I go to a city, the dining component is huge. That is, for me, the tourist attraction. Indeed, it's usually the best part!

I've had Hawaiin poi. That stuff is simply nasty. I had luaua pig. It's okay, but just bland pork with no flavor at all. I make better pork chops at home on my frying pan and some bread crumbs; no need to stick a whole pig in the ground for 6 hours.

I had some phenomenal meals here on these trips.

New York:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyjKhInVj8Y

Chicago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyFDjeEdRAI

Food is a great tourist attraction for me!

But the problem with Hawaii is that if you are at all conscientious about your health and skin cancer risk, you stay indoors between the hours of 10am and 4pm in Hawaii. So you stay in your hotel room or go to the indoor mall. There is only so much beach a human can do.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
SFFlyer123.. Hilo.. mix up some touring, with some volcano and some beach.. Besides Hilo usually rains so minimal cancer risk.. its' when you're hanging around Kona and the Kohala Coast.. use SPF 50 if you're that conscious health wise.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA, 1.5MM, GE
Wow, tough crowd here. Great topic.

I really enjoyed Stonehenge, Mt. Rushmore and even Wall Drug, SD (for what it is, a tourist trap). Agree on the Hollywood stars and Venice beach (although very interesting...).

Probably the only place that we left disappointed was "Old Faithful of California" in Calistoga, CA. Granted we were there many years ago, by looking on their website it seems to have improved over the years.

http://oldfaithfulgeyser.com/visiting.html
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stonehenge - agree with completely. I was so disappointed!

The Empire State Building - it was, well, just a tall building.

Singapore - it was my first visit to anywhere in Asia and it felt, well, boring!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
But the problem with Hawaii is that if you are at all conscientious about your health and skin cancer risk, you stay indoors between the hours of 10am and 4pm in Hawaii. So you stay in your hotel room or go to the indoor mall. There is only so much beach a human can do.
But that goes for anywhere on a similar latitude (Caribbean, Mexico, Thailand etc).
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
How strange... I was born and raised in the US and have never heard of this "Wall Drug" place but everyone seems to know about it but me.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ajax
How strange... I was born and raised in the US and have never heard of this "Wall Drug" place but everyone seems to know about it but me.
Have you ever driven within a 300-mile radius of central South Dakota?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
SFFlyer123.. Hilo.. mix up some touring, with some volcano and some beach.. Besides Hilo usually rains so minimal cancer risk.. its' when you're hanging around Kona and the Kohala Coast.. use SPF 50 if you're that conscious health wise.
But outdoor activities certainly aren't everyone's cup of tea; as SFFlyer123 correctly points out, as a foodie/urban destination Hawaii is crap (so long as you don't share my debilitating sushi addiction )

Originally Posted by emma69
But that goes for anywhere on a similar latitude (Caribbean, Mexico, Thailand etc).
Right - South America is arguably even more dangerous due to the ozone hole, but I'd never let that deter me from a trip to Patagonia. There are always precautions you can take - in my case, hat, lightweight long-sleeved shirt and pants, and sunscreen for good measure. Makes me look like a tourist but it beats melanoma.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:57 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Everything touristy, with the exception of some natural sceneries that also happen to be popular tourist destinations.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:59 pm

Great Wall in Badaling, made me think of Disneyland...
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:16 pm

true, but there are other things to do

Originally Posted by emma69
True, however, there are other things to do when the sun is out. If you are in Bangkok, you've got great thai food that is delicious, unique, etc. You can go to the king's palace, temples, shrines. You have go to markets. There is much else to do in Bangkok. In Hawaii, all you have is the beach and poi...
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:17 pm

The big island

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I've actually been to Hilo and Kona. I saw the black sand beaches. Then, all there was left to do was eat poi....
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by east_of_the_sun
The Manneken Pis is my selection, too,.. maybe I was on such a chocolate high that I couldn't fully appreciate the famous statue.
Perhaps I would have been more impressed if I'd seen him on a day when he was dressed up in one of his 600 costumes.
I walked right past that corner when I was out walking specifically to see it. I was expecting something bigger, or more noticeable, or with a crowd. Went a good 2-3 blocks further before realizing I'd gone right past it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.