Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Anthemflyer
IMO in the US:
Spain; Anything Gaudi built or designed or breathed on..
Italy; Venice, its physically beautiful, but feels souless.
I thought that Gaudi's Sagrada Família in Barcelona was one of the most fantastical buildings I had been in (using the word "fantastical" deliberately here). Well worth the effort to visit it, for me.

I know what you mean about Venice though. It's splendid, and it's worth visiting, but it's like being in a museum. While the notion that there have been virtually no new buildings for the best part of 200 years might add to the atmosphere, in a way, it's also very peculiar for a city of that size. I also find the (apparent) lack of any local children unnatural and somewhat unnerving.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Christopher
I also find the (apparent) lack of any local children unnatural and somewhat unnerving.
Because there are very few locals living in Venice these days

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6035047.stm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...centuries.html
http://www.cnntraveller.com/2010/01/...ck-the-waters/
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by tokyo36
Greece defintiely! Sorry, it's actualy just Athens. This city is dirty, it doesn't have any hospitability, the people are unfriendly, no one speaks English. And one more thing: the city is as expensive as London.
How strange. We found Athens to be great. Of course, we had a tour guide with us both days. Everyone we encountered was pleasant. The city was clean, except for the amazing amount of graffiti.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by alanR
Because there are very few locals living in Venice these days
Yes, quite so, and this all adds to the feeling of being in a big museum, or even a rather up-market theme park at times.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Christopher
Yes, quite so, and this all adds to the feeling of being in a big museum, or even a rather up-market theme park at times.
Did you wander off the tourist path? I can see that, if you stick to just the area around the Grand Canal or San Marco, it might seem like that. However, the second time my wife and I went, we made a point of wandering all over the city. Once you get away from the touristy areas, the feel is entirely different -- the city become mysterious and tantalizing (and also very easy to get lost in).
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
Did you wander off the tourist path? I can see that, if you stick to just the area around the Grand Canal or San Marco, it might seem like that. However, the second time my wife and I went, we made a point of wandering all over the city. Once you get away from the touristy areas, the feel is entirely different -- the city become mysterious and tantalizing (and also very easy to get lost in).
Mysterious. True of anyplace you are not from. My wife has friends who will not visit her at home as we live out in the country.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:56 am

Agreed.

FWIW, I highly recommend "Don't Look Now" as a great, mysterious movie about Venice.

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Look-Now-.../dp/B000069I0A
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:06 am

Oh yes, I particularly enjoyed wandering around the Dorsoduro, and Venice is very different in the winter from the summer. But it still has a museum-like feel to me. Don't get me wrong, I think it's worth visiting and I'm glad I've been, but it's not somewhere that I can particularly relate to because of the air of something approaching unreality.

But lots of people adore the place, and I wouldn't want to take that away from them, not for a moment. No doubt I'm the one that's missing out here, not them.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tomsundstrom

-Fisherman's Wharf in SF- why? And speaking of SF, although it's not technically a Tourist Attraction, why is there a 90 minute wait at The Cheesecake Factory on a Saturday night?
Why you ask? Well because any tourist will think it is amazing to have a place about cheesecake and eat decent, but mediocre food they are comfortable with, then go to the Italian area in SF (forget what it is called) and step out of a comfort zone.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:24 pm

Don't feel bad, nor have I...
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Mysterious. True of anyplace you are not from.
Not really. We've been all over the world, but off-the-beaten-track Venice has a very special feel. One of the reasons is because the city was deliberately laid out to be confusing, so as to confound would-be invaders. The others are the architectural consistency, presence of little alleys and canal bridges that link the many plazas, and the fact that a lot of that part of Venice feels abandoned during the day because the people who live there are all at work. I've been in lots and lots of quaint, old Italian towns (and quaint, old towns all over the world), but I think Venice is unique.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
I was underwhelmed by Big Ben and the Mona Lisa -
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:10 pm

Not really. We've been all over the world, but off-the-beaten-track Venice has a very special feel. One of the reasons is because the city was deliberately laid out to be confusing, so as to confound would-be invaders. The others are the architectural consistency, presence of little alleys and canal bridges that link the many plazas, and the fact that a lot of that part of Venice feels abandoned during the day because the people who live there are all at work. I've been in lots and lots of quaint, old Italian towns (and quaint, old towns all over the world), but I think Venice is unique.
My point is the people who live there do not find it the least bit mysterious. It is their well beaten track.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FLgrr
Why you ask? Well because any tourist will think it is amazing to have a place about cheesecake and eat decent, but mediocre food they are comfortable with, then go to the Italian area in SF (forget what it is called) and step out of a comfort zone.
North Beach. Very nice place for a stroll and a canoli.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA, Kris Flyer, Qantas, Lufthansa
Ditto Ayers Rock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.