Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Stonehenge wins my revised vote but there are a growing number of good candidates here that I had completely forgotten. Mount Rushmore is another winner.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:41 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd go with the Manneken Pis too. Stonhenge at one time was a good experience but in the name of preservation, English Heritage (the organization that manages the site) has pretty much ruined it.

If we're including minor attractions, the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, California, would be right up there.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Gamecock
The statue of the little boy urinating in Brussels
A great shout. I had forgotten (thankfully) about that one.

Mount Rushmore was one we discussed too. I haven't been so can't comment myself but everyone else said it was a disappointment. Much smaller than you expect and not remotely inspiring.

Even as an Englishman I can admit Stonehenge is rubbish. Thankfully they are finally going to build a tunnel beneath it so it no longer obstructs your view of the countryside as you drive past.

Keep em coming!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by choster
Stonehenge! I even paid a little extra to walk among the stones at sunrise, and in retrospect I should have opted for the couple extra hours of sleep. Stonehenge isn't remotely in the league of nearby Avebury for archaeological significance nor nearby Salisbury Cathedral for impressively stacked large rocks. You can take pictures of it from the motorway; that should be good enough.
1+
Avebury is far better. 20 years ago our innkeeper suggested we go to Avebury instead of Stonehenge. 2 years ago we were in the area so we went to Stonehenge. The innkeeper was right. Salisbury Cathedral is awesome.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
I found Wall Drug a helluva lot more entertaining than Mount Rushmore,
On the 4th of July sitting in the private observation area with fabu buffet, MR is priceless.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39, San Francisco.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If we're including minor attractions, the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, California, would be right up there.
The Winchester Mystery House, Wall Drug, The Mystery Spot (SC Mtns), Pea Soup Andersons, there's a long list of others that are to me examples of Road Side Americana and American self-promotion. Interesting to visit for that and pretty much only that.

Mt Rushmore
Stonehenge
Ayers Rock

edit: I'd agreed to Fisherman's Wharf in SF and expand that to all Fisherman's Wharves.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Wow, I'm amazed at all the hating on Stonehenge. I only went there once, in 1972 when I was in high school, but it really stayed with me. It was a cloudy day and the whole place had an eerie vibe to it. I kept waiting for a Druid to pop out from behind one of the stones. It was very impressive to my young mind.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole
The The Mystery Spot (SC Mtns),
But at least in SC we have South of the Border!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Hollywood Walk of Fame. Seriously, people go out of their way to see this?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: UA- 1P
Navy Pier in Chicago.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:28 am

Amana Colonies, Iowa, USA
Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia, USA
Changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace, London, UK
Floridita Bar, Havana, Cuba
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Time Square NYC. It's just another packed street filled with mall stuff and really bad food.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Even before I had read the other posts in the thread, Stonehenge was what had popped into my mind. Everyone warned me before I went that it would be disappointing--I went anyway, and yeah, it was disappointing. As others here have also said, Salisbury Cathedral really made that day for me.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:39 am

I have to go with the San Antonio Riverwalk for destinations in the US. Nothing but bad, overpriced tex-mex.

For Europe, my pick is the dancing figurine show in Munich, cant remember the name, but its near the Alte Haus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.