Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you carry Champagnes in Suitcase?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you carry Champagnes in Suitcase?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:19 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
well, no. but in 30 years experience of opening champagne bottles that is the first time... and only after that travel
I would bet the accident you had was not related to travel..... perhaps some handling issues before opening.... or someone played a joke on you...?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ouch. dom can be $120 >
Dom in my local stores is about $225. A bunch of those prices on wine searcher are "in bond" prices, taxes have to be added which can be considerable.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 3:57 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
$225 Canadian or US.... not that is makes much difference but still...
Old Oct 24, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
$225 Canadian or US.... not that is makes much difference but still...
Canadian. The dollars are at par today, so it doesn't matter.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And never ask for a Fragile sticker, almost a guarnatee that your bag will receive rougher treatment.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I just pad the bottles well with clothing. Or bubble wrap + plastic bags.
Ditto this. Wrap with bubble wrap, zip into a Ziploc-type bag, then zip that into another Ziploc-type bag, and roll up in blue jeans (or similar).

Champagne bottles are, by necessity, actually less prone to breakage than ordinary wine bottles.

As far as sticky fingers go, if you're flying out of the USA, so... yeah... always a risk. Be sure to use TSA-approved locks, especially the type that have an indicator showing whether TSA has opened them. Won't stop a TSA thief, but it's an inexpensive deterrent.

Oh. And check customs regulations for your destination. Some countries can be quite limiting and strict (e.g., Thailand only allows 1L per person duty-free, and a regular bottle of bubbly is 750mL).
Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:51 pm

You can order plastic inflatable wine protectors on line. They work really well, fit tightly around the bottle and I've never had one break under the circumstances, but I still put it in the center part of the luggage for some extra protection and still put it in a ziploc bag just in case something goes wrong. Wouldn't want the double aggravation of losing my wine/champagne AND having to get the smell out of everything else too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.