Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:33 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nsx
The crucial fact you evade is that the last segment DECREASES THE MARKET VALUE of the trip. None of the analogies to physical items has this characteristic except my T-shirt example.
Here's another one. A pet store is selling puppies, but there's one malformed puppy that nobody wants. They offer you $10 off if you add that puppy to your purchase. You agree. Just before you walk out the door you take the puppy out of its carrier and put in on the floor. Is that ethical?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ROCAT
If you use none of the ticket you lost the airlines nothing, they likely used the seat on an oversell. If you buy a ticket A -> B -> C at $200 but only used A -> B which costs $400 you effectively cost them $200 dollars.
Well, if you're going to use the oversell argument, be consistent: they'd use it on B->C in the same fashion they'd use it on A->B. Since B is almost always a hub airport, there probably is a standby list in play and people who want the seat.

The only airline I can think of where you could "cost" them something would be on a Southwest direct flight, simply because you'd confuse their thru count and potentially cause an operational delay. (Since WN doesn't penalize hidden-city, you can tell the gate agent when you depart a flight earlier than they expect. I've done that in Dallas a couple times.)

Originally Posted by FlamencoE
Think about it as a time-share presentation deal. The time-share company sells you a pair of tickets to Disney World for $15 if you agree to spend 2 hours at one of their presentations listening to their marketing material.

Obviously they wouldn't let you just "throw away" the free presentation and keep the Disney tickets.

They are only selling you the tickets for $15 because you agreed to do something THEY wanted you to do.
For any timeshare pitch I've ever listened to, I got the goodies *after* the pitch was complete. @:-)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Not flying at all (i.e., not even beginning the trip) is a separate matter from throwaway ticketing and hidden city ticketing.

The contract of carriage doesn't impose any penalty for not even beginning your trip (aside from any inherent penalty such as losing any non-refundable ticket costs, paying change fees, etc).

Whereas the contract of carriage will typically stipulate that you're agreeing to penalties or remedies if you engage in throwaway or hidden city ticketing. As channa noted, by purchasing the ticket you're entering into that contract and agreeing to be bound by those terms. So you are breaking your contractual promise by doing either of those things.
Whether or not the COC is valid is another issue. You are only agreeing to contract terms so far as they are valid.

As far as I know, a passenger cannot agree to a penalty in a contract because they are not allowed (at least in many jurisdictions around the world).

I wouldn't necessarily be basing my ethical decision merely on what is written in a contract.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by nsx
You are if that 4th one diminishes the value of the other 3. Try this with my T-shirt example. The crucial fact you evade is that the last segment DECREASES THE MARKET VALUE of the trip. None of the analogies to physical items has this characteristic except my T-shirt example.
The B2G2 example is not stealing because there is no contract with the grocery store that you must use, consume, or even take the product.

The T-shirt example, however, contractually requires that you dye the T-shirt, but is not completely analogous because it doesn't allow for the fact that a connecting flight is the sum of two parts. Ergo, the contract needs to be modified such that you must wear the T-shirt as a white T-shirt for a period of time before dyeing it green, then wear it dyed.

You cannot dye it prior to wearing it, as that would be analogous to a nonstop flight, which is not what's being bought. You must wear it white for a specified period, then dye it, then wear it again.

So really, we need two t-shirts and a contract:

1. The White T-Shirt ($20)
2. The Green T-Shirt ($10)
3. The White & Green T-shirt Combo ($12)

If you want a green T-shirt, you must be a resident of Chicago. Since you live in Minnesota, I will not sell you a green T-shirt.

However, I will sell you a White & Green T-shirt combo if you sign a document stating that every day you wear either shirt, you agree to wear the white T-shirt, followed by the green T-shirt, in equal increments, in that order, that calendar day. Unless you sign the contract I will not sell you a combo.

I will sell you a white T-shirt straight up if you'd like.

Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
Except the whole thing is moot. When would click "purchase" you agree to their terms. If you don't like them the option is to not complete the purchase rather than to complete the purchase and violate them. You've voluntarily entered into an agreement you have no intention of keeping. That's unethical. Whether or not you can come up with a single other example of a similar situation doesn't matter. They set the terms and when you click purchase you agree to them. Period.
The ethics of contracts put to the end user which use arcane terminology, include dubious clauses which may well be unenforcable and are designed to not be read or understood by the layman are extremely questionable in themselves.

And airline CoC along with software EULAs are probably leading the way with that sort of thing. It's my firm opinion that if there wasn't usually a political interest in maintaining the airline industry in its current form, many of its practices would have already been deemed illegal. In fact, in the EU where corporate power is less pronounced than in the U.S., there already have been judgments deeming certain common practices of the industry illegal.

I'm not gonna argue with you on the legality of the situation especially in a U.S. context because it is what it is, but ethics? Ethics? Too funny.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Well, if you're going to use the oversell argument, be consistent: they'd use it on B->C in the same fashion they'd use it on A->B. Since B is almost always a hub airport, there probably is a standby list in play and people who want the seat.
Nope. B is almost never a hub.

Example would be SFO>NYC or SFO>MKE>NYC. They give you a cheaper fare because those 2 flights, particularly the MKE>NYC is underutilized.

Go back to the dog argument. You're in a pet store. You want a dog that's $20. There's a deformed dog that nobody wants. They owner wants it gone. So he tells you "$20 for the dog you want and I'll give you $10 to take the other dog". You say OK, pay the $20, take the $10 then don't take the other dog.

You cheated the pet store.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

Example would be SFO>NYC or SFO>MKE>NYC. They give you a cheaper fare because those 2 flights, particularly the MKE>NYC is underutilized. ...
I doubt that assertion ... can you identify an airline that DOESN'T hub at MKE that offers a thru fare SFO-MKE-NYC ? further, most hidden-city inquiries that we see here deal with post-hub legs
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by jrl767
I doubt that assertion ... can you identify an airline that DOESN'T hub at MKE that offers a thru fare SFO-MKE-NYC ? further, most hidden-city inquiries that we see here deal with post-hub legs
Agreed on the post-hub legs piece. The only times I have been tempted to do this have been booking XXX-ORD-YYY, when I actually wanted to go to ORD. YYY is almost always a non-hub, and sometimes it's an Essential Air Service subsidized airport. To me, the subsidies issue is a very good reason not to do this.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
My feeling is that eventually something like this will have to to be addressed by the courts. We don't live in slavery: that means you can't force someone to do something against their wish. People do have a right to change their mind. Etc. Contracts are routinely litigated. Heck, there is even an entire branch of law for that, "Contract Law". So issues are not as simple as saying you agreed. We can talk till hell freezes, but this won't be settled without serious litigation as high as it would go.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Go back to the dog argument. You're in a pet store. You want a dog that's $20. There's a deformed dog that nobody wants. They owner wants it gone. So he tells you "$20 for the dog you want and I'll give you $10 to take the other dog". You say OK, pay the $20, take the $10 then don't take the other dog. You cheated the pet store.
Wrong analogy because a dog is a living being which brings in other issues. For example you can't/shouldn't just abandon it outside the store.

However, let's consider a book store or an electronics store. If the owner gave me an extra book or gadget (perhaps with cosmetic defects) as an incentive, I would have no qualms about throwing it in a trash can.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by artemis
Here's a question/thought experiment: if I buy a ticket A-B-C and only fly the A-B leg, the airlines get upset. But how is this different from buying the same ticket and not flying on that ticket at all (which the airlines don't care about)? Either way, the airline got the money for the purchase. Why is using all of the purchase OK, and using none of the purchase OK, but using only part of the purchase is not?
The airlines' perspective is that the problem isn't that you're using less, it's that you're using a different market price than the price that would have applied for the journey you actually took.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Whether or not the COC is valid is another issue. You are only agreeing to contract terms so far as they are valid.

As far as I know, a passenger cannot agree to a penalty in a contract because they are not allowed (at least in many jurisdictions around the world).

I wouldn't necessarily be basing my ethical decision merely on what is written in a contract.
Sure, if a contract term is contrary to applicable law, then that term would be unenforceable if it came down to it - though the remaining valid portions of the contract would remain undisturbed. AFAIK the CoC prohibitions against hidden city ticketing aren't against any law in the U.S. but I'd have no idea about other countries.

It may depend in some cases on what remedy the airline has in their CoC and chooses to use. For example United has a list of several actions, including deleting MP miles, revoking elite status. But one of those is to assess the passenger the difference between the fare paid and the applicable fare for the trip actually taken. UA would argue that this isn't a penalty but rather making UA whole for the value of the service the passenger actually used compared to what the passenger initially paid.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

Example would be SFO>NYC or SFO>MKE>NYC. They give you a cheaper fare because those 2 flights, particularly the MKE>NYC is underutilized.
Nobody fortress-prices MKE.

Hidden-city is used primarily to get to hubs. CVG, CLT, and DTW seem to be the prime examples found around FT, with a dose of ORD, DEN, and DFW here and there as well. It's the hub-and-spoke airlines who vigorously oppose it, and it's precisely because of their monopoly position in certain cities.

The U.S.'s large non-hub-and-spoke airline, Southwest, has said "go ahead and use hidden-city if you can find it...just tell us about it when you disembark early." My example of DAL (where I've done WN hidden-city) saved a few bucks when they're running good OKC specials, but it wasn't an extreme case where WN holds Dallas hostage.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
there's another angle here: in the case of a no-show the airline can still sell the unused seat (or use it to accommodate a standby passenger), so in some cases they may actually be able to recoup a portion of the revenue they didn't get on the original purchase

as has been mentioned, a lot of "throwaway" segments are outbound from hubs ... and as we all know, day-of-departure purchases from hubs are seldom at bargain prices

my last hidden-city itinerary was on US about three years ago: XXX-DCA was over $500 whereas XXX-DCA-YYY was approx $225 and DCA-YYY was also about $225 ... when I checked in and printed BPs at approx T-8 hrs, there were only two of 37 seats open on DCA-YYY; as I was making my way thru the crowds by the shuttle bus doors at DCA I heard the GA soliciting volunteers for that flight

this may have been discussed in the 700+ posts upthread, but a search for "resell unused seat" came up empty
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I'd like to see another industry try to argue that taking *less* than you paid for is theft.
As you well know, air travel is not sold by the mile and your point is moot. Value is decoupled from distance, a point made about 500 times in this thread. By your reasoning a Subway sandwich ought to cost more than a plate of sushi at Nobu, and a Greyhound bus ought to cost five times more than an Aston Martin, because it's five times as long. False construct.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 am

All of the analogies here are false constructs.

I laughed at the puppy one, though. That was good. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.