FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What is the worst first-class seat you have ever had? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1163970-what-worst-first-class-seat-you-have-ever-had.html)

gabgab Dec 24, 2010 7:36 pm

What is the worst first-class seat you have ever had?

was it the stewardess? the design? or just the whole first class section sucks?

ByrdluvsAWACO Dec 24, 2010 7:38 pm

AirTran! Those seats simply sucked. Luckily, I wasn't the one paying for the fare. Unfortunately, I was flyin AirTran.

davef139 Dec 24, 2010 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO (Post 15519040)
AirTran! Those seats simply sucked. Luckily, I wasn't the one paying for the fare. Unfortunately, I was flyin AirTran.

They don't even have a First Class, as they consider the premium business class.

golfingboy Dec 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, gabgab! Interesting topic you have here :p Am curious to see what some consider the worst F seat :p Probably most of them will say the intra-Europe Business class seats on various European carriers...

Anyway, based on my experience in F on AS/CO/DL - will have the opportunity to try UA soon....

AS has the worst F seat... Recline is almost the same as coach, the seats are rock hard, the headrest are not that great, and their "PTV" - DigiEplayer - is :rolleyes:

If we factor in the service, and then it is going to be tough, because AS FAs are the ones that makes the whole F experience a good one.

ByrdluvsAWACO Dec 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by davef139 (Post 15519103)
They don't even have a First Class, as they consider the premium business class.

Huh? Just because they call it "Business class" doesn't mean it's not a domestic F seat. Except on 3 cabin flights, the industry norm is to refer to the premium seats on a two cabin flight as "First Class"

CPRich Dec 24, 2010 9:21 pm

I don't remember whether the referred to it as First or Business, but the front cabin on Sabena was way below par for transatlantic.

btw, several airlines intentionally call the front of the 2-class plane Business when they know it's not competitive with other F products.

IMOA Dec 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO (Post 15519179)
Huh? Just because they call it "Business class" doesn't mean it's not a domestic F seat. Except on 3 cabin flights, the industry norm is to refer to the premium seats on a two cabin flight as "First Class"

It's not the industry norm, it's simply the norm for a few airlines operating in the US market.

aviators99 Dec 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Just talking about the seat:

Spirit and Airtran are bad (I guess Airtran's will be going away)...

For network carriers, US is the worst of them, IME.

All of the intra-Europe ones where they are the same seats as coach with the middle seat blocked off are certainly not worth the expense.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has flown Icelandair, as their front of cabin product has gotten a bad rep (but I haven't flown it).

I have also not flown the various carriers who had E190s with F seats. I can't imagine they are great.

Fly Upstairs Dec 24, 2010 11:10 pm

I have not had any problems in E175's or E190's in F, I found them quite pleasant (possibly due to low expectations).

US is the worst domestic F overall, but the NW/DL DC-9's are a close second.

As for international, the Thai old business product (I few 747-400 but hear the A330 and A300 have the same) is not useful by any measure.

Mr H Dec 24, 2010 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO (Post 15519179)
Except on 3 cabin flights, the industry norm is to refer to the premium seats on a two cabin flight as "First Class"

This is rubbish. In recent times I have flown on the following airlines where the front end of a two class cabin was not called First:

Thai International Airways
Singapore Airlines
British Midland
British Airways
Lufthansa
Qantas
Vietnam Airlines
South African Airlines
Comair
Turkish Airlines
Egyptair
Air New Zealand
Azal Azerbaijan Airlines

These are just the planes I have personally been on. The full list would be way, way longer.

FriendlySkies Dec 24, 2010 11:56 pm

CO 757-300 F seat was terrible. Bad/broken headrest, no padding, and looked like something from 1970.

Kasar Dec 24, 2010 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mr H (Post 15519666)
This is rubbish. In recent times I have flown on the following airlines where the front end of a two class cabin was not called First:

These are just the planes I have personally been on. The full list would be way, way longer.

He's talking about inside America only.

The rest of the world is still (mostly) sane and honest when it comes to naming the class of their product.

janwillem Dec 25, 2010 3:14 am

I had a FRA-PVG flight (F) on Air China once which was not too great. Both in terms of seats and service but above of all because they managed to print my ticket on a ticket template that was a year old. Appparently that is not allowed so they didn't want to check me in at first. By the way: Air China in economy is not bad at all.

Athena53 Dec 25, 2010 6:05 am

Iberia from DFW-MAD. They had those wretched seats that don't quite recline, and the food was mediocre- comparable to what I'd expect in Coach.

Cheapskate Travels Dec 25, 2010 7:24 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 15519706)
CO 757-300 F seat was terrible. Bad/broken headrest, no padding, and looked like something from 1970.

+1

Felt like sitting in a Greyhound seat...but that is probably unfair to Greyhound as it's been a while since I've ridden them and they probably have better product now. :eek: