Go Back   > >

Old Dec 13, 10, 6:07 pm   #1
Original Poster

if the post office charges the same price for 8-mile and 8000-mile trips, why can't a

if the post office charges the same price for 8-mile and 8000-mile trips, why can't airlines do the same?

I was sending out christmas presents and it was a zoo at the local post office.(duh!)

Among my packages were two identical sets of DVDs(complete Start Trek series plus others). Each package weighed in at just over 9 pounds. I shipped them in priority mail flat rate boxes. One is going just 8 miles away to my nephew, while the other one is going a little more than 8000 miles to my cousin in Guam. What surprised me was the both packages cost exactly the same to ship. I don't pretend to understand the post office's logic or financial wisdom.
Sandra_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 10, 7:19 pm   #2
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
That's how flat rate works, everything is one rate. It doesn't matter if the local one could have been sent for less with regular priority mail or not, you paid one price.

If the airlines charged one price they would do like they do priority mail flat rate, analyze every package sent, and come up with a number that nets them more money from the consumer than the old fare structure did, and market the daylights out of it so that people would think it's a great idea.
cordelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 10, 7:25 pm   #3
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
That's how flat rate works, everything is one rate. It doesn't matter if the local one could have been sent for less with regular priority mail or not, you paid one price.

If the airlines charged one price they would do like they do priority mail flat rate, analyze every package sent, and come up with a number that nets them more money from the consumer than the old fare structure did, and market the daylights out of it so that people would think it's a great idea.
sounds like a math or business school project.... I wonder what the average prices is of ALL the airlines ticket sold in one year.
Old Dec 13, 10, 7:33 pm   #4
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Bing says $303 domestic, $1,271 to Europe
cordelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 10, 7:34 pm   #5
Original Poster

Quote:
Bing says $303 domestic, $1,271 to Europe
Who is Bing? Not Chandler Bing, I hope?
Old Dec 13, 10, 7:41 pm   #6

Programs: AA PLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra_D View Post
http://www.bing.com/ (I'm assuming)
cmn.jcs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 10, 8:18 pm   #7

Programs: AA, DL, BA
Quote:
It would work out great until the other airlines decided to undercut you on the short-hauls and you end up doing 90% trans-pacific and trans-atlantic flights for $200
vgacolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 10, 8:38 pm   #8

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Quote:
if the post office charges the same price for 8-mile and 8000-mile trips, why can't airlines do the same?

...I don't pretend to understand the post office's logic or financial wisdom.
Hint
Fredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 10, 8:38 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Definitely - the government could offer subsidized flights to Guam. You're willing to help foot the bill?
nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 10, 8:47 pm   #10

Programs: AA EXP
Quote:
So much for Microsoft's humongous marketing campaign
rjw242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 10, 10:03 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra_D

I was sending out christmas presents and it was a zoo at the local post office.(duh!)

Among my packages were two identical sets of DVDs(complete Start Trek series plus others). Each package weighed in at just over 9 pounds. I shipped them in priority mail flat rate boxes. One is going just 8 miles away to my nephew, while the other one is going a little more than 8000 miles to my cousin in Guam. What surprised me was the both packages cost exactly the same to ship. I don't pretend to understand the post office's logic or financial wisdom.
Do you investigate the price of sending the DVDs at the "Media Mail" rate, at least to the nearby recipient? You would have to supply your own packaging, but would probably save a few dollars on the postage.
guv1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 10, 10:04 pm   #12
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
Definitely - the government could offer subsidized flights to Guam. You're willing to help foot the bill?
I'm willing to help foot the bill, as long as the government is willing to help foot the bill for me moving to Maui.
Old Dec 13, 10, 10:10 pm   #13

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Well............... If you fit in one of those flat rate boxes.......
Mabuk dan gila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 10, 10:35 pm   #14
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila View Post
Well............... If you fit in one of those flat rate boxes.......
It's actually cheaper to ship myself in the post office's Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Boxes, compared to buying an airline ticket from NY to Guam. This is based on chopping myself into dozens of pieces to fit the flat rate boxes, of course.
Old Dec 14, 10, 10:12 am   #15

Programs: A3 *G; HH Diamond; SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgacolor View Post
It would work out great until the other airlines decided to undercut you on the short-hauls and you end up doing 90% trans-pacific and trans-atlantic flights for $200
Postal Service is a monopoly. So your flat-rate airline needs to be a monopoly for this single-price model to work.
geclub1 is offline   Reply With Quote