Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Boeing 747's, still flying which routes..??

Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum

Was wondering which major routes are still being serviced by the might Queen of the skies, the Boeing 747.
Most long haul routes have seen a change to either the 777 or 330’s & 340’s and of course now the 380 as well..

Lot of the major carriers are slowly phasing out the 747's as well. Hence was wondering, which are the remaining regular routes that are still run on the B747.

In my limited knowledge, Cathay still have a few and still uses them on their HKG - SFO route. United and Delta still have them on their fleets, but not sure which routes they run. Info anyone..??
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
For UA, you will still find 747's doing nonstops between these city pairs ORD-HKG, ORD-NRT, and SFO-HKG.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
For UA, you will still find 747's doing nonstops between these city pairs ORD-HKG, ORD-NRT, and SFO-HKG.
Also LAX-SYD, SFO-SYD, SYD-MEL, SFO-ORD.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:40 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF has a large fleet of 744s that fly LAX-SYD/MEL/BNE, SFO-SYD, LHR-SIN-SYD/MEL, LHR-HKG-MEL, LHR-BKK-SYD, FRA-SIN-SYD, SYD-NRT (on good days ) and a few other routes. Outside of the US 744s are not so rare. Now 741/742/743s still in service are rare indeed.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:57 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

AF, KL, BA all still fly them. Routes vary seasonally.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
QF has a large fleet of 744s that fly LAX-SYD/MEL/BNE, SFO-SYD, LHR-SIN-SYD/MEL, LHR-HKG-MEL, LHR-BKK-SYD, FRA-SIN-SYD, SYD-NRT (on good days ) and a few other routes. Outside of the US 744s are not so rare. Now 741/742/743s still in service are rare indeed.
Iran Air is i think one of the few commercial carriers left that still operate the 741's..
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Here's a list of 747 operators and the type, serial # of their aircraft:
http://www.airfleets.net/exploit/production-b747.htm

Most of the major airline passenger services are -400's but there are some of every model still in service somewhere. There seem to be few 747SP still in service one with Saudia, in executive configuration I think, and SN 21758/371 that was delivered to iranAir in 1979 and is still in use, as well as three other even older SP's. In one of the more bizarre incidents of my life I signed the loan agreement for the engines and airframe in Tehran in June-1979. if I recall, during the brief Bazargan government (Feb-Nov 1979). The loan commitment had been made and even though the Shah fell the delivery had to be made. I flew in from Dubai, signed, and left the next day. I also flew on that airplane.

There are a handful of -100 still in service if you want the original 747. They are with Saudia Arabian airlines, five of them, Kabo Air of Nigeria has three, and Orient Thai has one.

The US scheduled carriers United has 25 and Delta has 16. All of those are -400's, the newest version. Of course you can choose from most long distance European and Asian airlines for 747-400's, some of which are very new. To fly the newest one, sn 1358, go to China Airlines which took de3livery in April 2005. The later 747's delivered were freighters.

if you wait a year or two you can fly in the new 747-800, a stretched version, for which Lufthansa is the launch customer, making them the only airline to have both the 747-800 and the A380.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Here's a list of 747 operators and the type, serial # of their aircraft:
http://www.airfleets.net/exploit/production-b747.htm

Most of the major airline passenger services are -400's but there are some of every model still in service somewhere. There seem to be few 747SP still in service one with Saudia, in executive configuration I think, and SN 21758/371 that was delivered to iranAir in 1979 and is still in use, as well as three other even older SP's. In one of the more bizarre incidents of my life I signed the loan agreement for the engines and airframe in Tehran in June-1979. if I recall, during the brief Bazargan government (Feb-Nov 1979). The loan commitment had been made and even though the Shah fell the delivery had to be made. I flew in from Dubai, signed, and left the next day. I also flew on that airplane.

There are a handful of -100 still in service if you want the original 747. They are with Saudia Arabian airlines, five of them, Kabo Air of Nigeria has three, and Orient Thai has one.

The US scheduled carriers United has 25 and Delta has 16. All of those are -400's, the newest version. Of course you can choose from most long distance European and Asian airlines for 747-400's, some of which are very new. To fly the newest one, sn 1358, go to China Airlines which took de3livery in April 2005. The later 747's delivered were freighters.

if you wait a year or two you can fly in the new 747-800, a stretched version, for which Lufthansa is the launch customer, making them the only airline to have both the 747-800 and the A380.
Thanks for that informative link..Interesting also to note the bit about signing the loan agreement for the airframe & engines..
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
LH on a lot of interntaional flights from FRA.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
There was one at the next gate over at DFW on Thursday, headed to London with BA. It's the first one I've seen since I flew on one in the late '90's.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Air Force One!!

On a practical note, many still fly the 747s. Was just on a fantastic NZ AKL-LAX and another on OZ's PEK-ICN (not as great) lately.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
In the last couple of years I flew on 74x on the following routes:

LH:
FRA-DTW (Y)
FRA-JFK (Y)

BA:
LHR-JNB (Y, Y+, J)
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, VS, SQ, AS
FRA - EZE on LH 747 longest in their system

Out of Frankfurt, LH flies the 747-400 daily to Buenos Aires and it's the longest flight in their system. It's almost two hours longer than their Frankfurt to Tokyo flight on the A380.

747-400s are still used for some "killer" long flights and will be for a long time to come.

p
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan*E
Not "major" if you're North America based, I took JNB-LUN last year on an SAA 747. The in-flight magazine mentioned there's been a bit of a FF stink over their decision to run a 747 on the JNB-LOS run as well.

Interestingly, the JNB-LUN 747 is a white-washed plane. One of my fellow pax in J said that it had been stripped of its SAA colours when the big push for *A Airbuses started and towed out to the desert (Botswana maybe?), but was rescued and put back into service (without its colours) when SAA expanded their Angola offerings. That said, I have no idea if there's any truth to that.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gamecock
In the last couple of years I flew on 74x on the following routes:

LH:
FRA-DTW (Y)
FRA-JFK (Y)

BA:
LHR-JNB (Y, Y+, J)
Was looking for some dates in Jan and unfortunately looks like LH have moved FRA - DTW to a 330

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.