Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do all USA airlines offer complimentary upgrades to their elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

AFAIK most USA-based airlines offer complimentary upgrades to their elites for domestic trips (or even some int'l trips). AA (EXP only), CO, DL, UA and US do so for sure. I'm not very familiar with their programs, but I think that AS and VX also do so. WN and B6 have no first class. These are the biggest carriers I can think of and they all offer complimentary upgrades (on an availability basis).

I wonder how we reached this situation. I know that UA only started their UDU program in 2010 and I think in a sense they were following the others. I haven't been in the US for long, so I wonder if someone could write a brief history of this perk. I can't think of anything similar in any other country and even if it exists somewhere, I wouldn't expect it to be so prevalent. Any insight?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
the aa program will be 30 next year & probably will have a bunch of promo's like they did for 20 & 25 yrs.....

re free ug's for elites, the aa sticker program was introduced in the 2nd or 3rd year....it was sort of free because you got some stickers at no cost....
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:28 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
If I may plug my favorite airline for a moment...

AS definitely does have unlimited upgrades, and although it has a relatively limited route network, it is routinely possible to score upgrades as a low-level elite (reached at just 20K miles). AS is also a bit more generous than its competitors; it offers upgrades systemwide, including Hawaii domestically as well as Canada and Mexico.

VX, on the other hand, does not offer complimentary upgrades. Their loyalty program is based around dollars spent which accumulate points; points are redeemed for free flights. They don't have any concept of elite status or benefits. Upgrades are available for purchase 6 hours before the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.