Wiki Posts
Search

Old Passport Number

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club British Airways Executive Club
Old Passport Number

I am applying for a British work visa and need to figure out the passport number of my previous passport. Are passport numbers the same when you get a new passport? If not, how do you figure out what your old passport number was?

-Matt
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
No, US passport numbers are not the same when you renew them. The old passport number should still be in your old passport, which is returned to you when you apply for a new one. If you no longer have your old passport, the only obvious place to get it would be to ask the passport office.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Steve M
the only obvious place to get it would be to ask the passport office.
How many weeks/months am I looking at to request that information from the State department? I was hoping to apply for my visa next week.

-Matt
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
If you haven't ever scanned a copy of it, try and remember any other time you may have had to provide the number.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I try to keep all my old passports, since some documents still require them. I have a deed that is recorded with my passport number, and had to dig up my original passport to verify my identity. Plus they expect you to sign your signature exactly the same way. Sheesh, I don't sign exactly the same from day to day.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have copies of your passport applications, previous visa applications, or previous passport anywhere?

You also might check airline FF profiles to see if you stored the number in any of them.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you don't have your old passport you need to try and remember any time you gave it to anybody and see if they have it.

did you ever keep a copy in case you lost it?
Ever use it to get a job and they kept a copy?
have it in an airline's profile?

If you can't figure out where you may have the number, you can try the state department, though I'm betting there's no chance of them having it for you by next week.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
I'm curious what the OP did with the old passport? I have all of mine that have ever been issued to me and can't imagine ever getting rid of them. Do other people just throw them out?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
I'm curious what the OP did with the old passport? I have all of mine that have ever been issued to me and can't imagine ever getting rid of them. Do other people just throw them out?
In my case at least, the post office actually lost my old passport and I had to file for a new replacement one claiming the original was lost. it was pretty disappointing as I like to use the VISA pages to remember all the places I've been to.

Drek
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by Steve M
No, US passport numbers are not the same when you renew them. The old passport number should still be in your old passport, which is returned to you when you apply for a new one. If you no longer have your old passport, the only obvious place to get it would be to ask the passport office.
OK, I have renewed my passport twice and neither time did I get my old passport back........why would that be??
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:28 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
OK, I have renewed my passport twice and neither time did I get my old passport back........why would that be??
Everything I read indicated I would get my old passport back when I applied for a new one as well. I even got a flyer with my new passport that claimed I would receive 3 separate mailings: new passport, new passport card, and old passport.

The old passport never showed.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad
Everything I read indicated I would get my old passport back when I applied for a new one as well. I even got a flyer with my new passport that claimed I would receive 3 separate mailings: new passport, new passport card, and old passport.

The old passport never showed.
I got my new passport and passport card in the same mailing and never got the old passport back......both times....... I never thought anything of it. I guess I better ask....
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:24 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
You have to ask to get the old one back, otherwise they don't bother sending it to you. I believe there is a place on the form where you request that they return the old passport.

I have all my old passports. I had been saving them for sentimental reasons. But on some recent visa applications, I have had to provide a liots of all the countries I visited in the past 5 years. I definitely needed to check my old passport for that info.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
You have to ask to get the old one back, otherwise they don't bother sending it to you. I believe there is a place on the form where you request that they return the old passport.

Phew.....I thought they were lost in the mail.... thanks for that info!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
This is not the case. The State Department routinely returns cancelled passports. There is no option to specify one way or the other on the form.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79960.pdf

Q:I'm renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back?
a:Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you although it may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.