FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Passport Number (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1154259-old-passport-number.html)

matd Nov 29, 2010 5:04 pm

Old Passport Number

I am applying for a British work visa and need to figure out the passport number of my previous passport. Are passport numbers the same when you get a new passport? If not, how do you figure out what your old passport number was?

-Matt

Steve M Nov 29, 2010 5:19 pm

No, US passport numbers are not the same when you renew them. The old passport number should still be in your old passport, which is returned to you when you apply for a new one. If you no longer have your old passport, the only obvious place to get it would be to ask the passport office.

matd Nov 29, 2010 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 15338167)
the only obvious place to get it would be to ask the passport office.

How many weeks/months am I looking at to request that information from the State department? I was hoping to apply for my visa next week.

-Matt

redbeard911 Nov 29, 2010 6:34 pm

If you haven't ever scanned a copy of it, try and remember any other time you may have had to provide the number.

Jaimito Cartero Nov 29, 2010 6:37 pm

I try to keep all my old passports, since some documents still require them. I have a deed that is recorded with my passport number, and had to dig up my original passport to verify my identity. Plus they expect you to sign your signature exactly the same way. Sheesh, I don't sign exactly the same from day to day.

soitgoes Nov 29, 2010 6:44 pm

Do you have copies of your passport applications, previous visa applications, or previous passport anywhere?

You also might check airline FF profiles to see if you stored the number in any of them.

cordelli Nov 30, 2010 9:09 am

If you don't have your old passport you need to try and remember any time you gave it to anybody and see if they have it.

did you ever keep a copy in case you lost it?
Ever use it to get a job and they kept a copy?
have it in an airline's profile?

If you can't figure out where you may have the number, you can try the state department, though I'm betting there's no chance of them having it for you by next week.

Captain Schmidt Nov 30, 2010 10:00 am

I'm curious what the OP did with the old passport? I have all of mine that have ever been issued to me and can't imagine ever getting rid of them. Do other people just throw them out?

Drek82 Nov 30, 2010 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
I'm curious what the OP did with the old passport? I have all of mine that have ever been issued to me and can't imagine ever getting rid of them. Do other people just throw them out?

In my case at least, the post office actually lost my old passport and I had to file for a new replacement one claiming the original was lost. it was pretty disappointing as I like to use the VISA pages to remember all the places I've been to.

Drek

Emeraldcity Nov 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 15338167)
No, US passport numbers are not the same when you renew them. The old passport number should still be in your old passport, which is returned to you when you apply for a new one. If you no longer have your old passport, the only obvious place to get it would be to ask the passport office.

OK, I have renewed my passport twice and neither time did I get my old passport back........why would that be??

baliktad Nov 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity (Post 15353074)
OK, I have renewed my passport twice and neither time did I get my old passport back........why would that be??

Everything I read indicated I would get my old passport back when I applied for a new one as well. I even got a flyer with my new passport that claimed I would receive 3 separate mailings: new passport, new passport card, and old passport.

The old passport never showed. :(

Emeraldcity Nov 30, 2010 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad (Post 15355803)
Everything I read indicated I would get my old passport back when I applied for a new one as well. I even got a flyer with my new passport that claimed I would receive 3 separate mailings: new passport, new passport card, and old passport.

The old passport never showed. :(

I got my new passport and passport card in the same mailing and never got the old passport back......both times....... I never thought anything of it. I guess I better ask....

STBCypriot Dec 1, 2010 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity (Post 15353074)

You have to ask to get the old one back, otherwise they don't bother sending it to you. I believe there is a place on the form where you request that they return the old passport.

I have all my old passports. I had been saving them for sentimental reasons. But on some recent visa applications, I have had to provide a liots of all the countries I visited in the past 5 years. I definitely needed to check my old passport for that info.

Emeraldcity Dec 1, 2010 10:48 am

Originally Posted by STBCypriot (Post 15356974)
You have to ask to get the old one back, otherwise they don't bother sending it to you. I believe there is a place on the form where you request that they return the old passport.

Phew.....I thought they were lost in the mail.... thanks for that info! :D

soitgoes Dec 1, 2010 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by STBCypriot (Post 15356974)

This is not the case. The State Department routinely returns cancelled passports. There is no option to specify one way or the other on the form.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79960.pdf

Q:I'm renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back?
a:Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you although it may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html