Wiki Posts
Search

Longest "Nonstop Domestic" Flight Available

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Longest "Nonstop Domestic" Flight Available

Among all countries around the world, the longest one I can think off is CO's EWR-HNL at 4,962 miles. Any other domestic flights elsewhere going nonstop that is longer or close to that one which are still in operation?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:53 pm

Air Austral CDG-RUN on the 777.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:49 pm

Hi Fly: LGW-MPN?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Air Austral CDG-RUN on the 777.
I'll bet you're correct. Ages ago it was AOM on the same route in, I recall, a 747-400. It is hard to imagine a longer domestic route.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:02 pm

Air Austral also flies CDG-RUN-SYD-NOU which is the longest not-non-stop domestic route.

Also four of their 5 777's are registered F-OPAR, F-ORUN, F-OSYD and F-ONOU. Sounds like a true flagship route!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:04 pm

I'm sure there was a discussion about this a while ago and people agreed on CDG-RUN. However, this flight has to cross international borders. For domestic flights that do not fly over other countries, I think EWR-HNL is the longest one (or does it fly over Canada?).
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:08 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I'll bet you're correct. Ages ago it was AOM on the same route in, I recall, a 747-400. It is hard to imagine a longer domestic route.
Before 1997, were there any LHR-HKG non-stop flights?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by tjl
Before 1997, were there any LHR-HKG non-stop flights?
Yep, just like there are today. But that would not count per this discussion. Pre-1997, Hong Kong was a British overseas territory, but not part of the UK in the same sense that England and Scotland are. However, Reunion is a full-fledged "department" of France in the same sense that Hawaii is a state of the US with no lower or different legal status than the mainland US states.

For domestic flights that do not fly over other countries, I think EWR-HNL is the longest one (or does it fly over Canada?).
I don't think it does usually, but perhaps does from time to time depending on the winds. I think it's similar to IAH-HNL, will usually take a US-only route that just about hugs the border near San Diego, but will occasionally fly directly over Mexico if the overflight rights cost less than the extra fuel required to stay in US airspace based on the winds that day.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:44 am

Are there nonstop flights between CONUS and Guam, American Samoa, and/or Saipan?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Are there nonstop flights between CONUS and Guam, American Samoa, and/or Saipan?
Philippine Airlines flys nonstop LAX-GUM for a distance of 6113 NM
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Air Austral also flies CDG-RUN-SYD-NOU which is the longest not-non-stop domestic route.

Also four of their 5 777's are registered F-OPAR, F-ORUN, F-OSYD and F-ONOU. Sounds like a true flagship route!
Here's a trip report on the CDG-RUN route
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/177550/
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:47 am

I just looked. Since the CDG-RUN route is only 5050 NM it looks like LAX-GUM wins, only because of sixth freedom rights to Philippine Airlines; unless of course the FAA does not consider GUM as domestic for route award purposes. They must not, otherwise they'd insist on a US flag carrier for the route.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
It does? I can't find the flights online, nor does the airline's own website list LAX as a destination served from Guam. Please provide details.

only because of sixth freedom rights to Philippine Airlines; unless of course the FAA does not consider GUM as domestic for route award purposes. They must not, otherwise they'd insist on a US flag carrier for the route.
It does require a domestic carrier. OZ was fined big-time for offering flights from GUM & SPN to CONUS (via SEL/ICN) for several years when they're not allowed to. Another possibility that I allude to above is that the LAX-GUM flights on Philippine Airlines don't actually exist.

And, even if such flights did exist, I don't think they'd trump CDG-RUN in the "longest domestic flight" category. Although Guam is a US territory, it's not in the same category as a state. You pass through Immigration control for GUM-US flights, and Customs control in both directions.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
we once flew khaborask?-leningrad.....7 hrs, 7 or 8 time zones iirc....

ot, but more trivia...good luck to all...
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
It does? I can't find the flights online, nor does the airline's own website list LAX as a destination served from Guam. Please provide details.

http://www.airport-la.com/lax/flight...eparture=PR103

It does require a domestic carrier. OZ was fined big-time for offering flights from GUM & SPN to CONUS (via SEL/ICN) for several years when they're not allowed to. Another possibility that I allude to above is that the LAX-GUM flights on Philippine Airlines don't actually exist.

And, even if such flights did exist, I don't think they'd trump CDG-RUN in the "longest domestic flight" category. Although Guam is a US territory, it's not in the same category as a state. You pass through Immigration control for GUM-US flights, and Customs control in both directions.
The definitional question of US territory is certainly interesting and a French Departement brooks no discussion- it's French domestic even though one is not treated so when boarding.

The Philippine Airlines flight in question has restricted booking, but does exist. The terms I do not know, but I imagine they may date from the time, ending 1946, when the Philippines was itself US territory, or something equally improbable. Now I really want to find out more about this flight.

BTW, on Philippine Airlines website it clearly shows Guam, USA. Guam citizens are US citizens. They cannot vote for President, but neither could residents of DC before the 23rd Amendment in 1961 and nobody suggested that DC is not part of the US. People born in Guam after 1952 are US citizens from birth. Sounds like the US to me.

Thus I stick with that flight.

Russia would obviously seem to count but Moscow-Vladivostok is a little less than 4000 NM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.