Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 23, 10, 10:53 am   #1

Programs: Hilton Honors, AA Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, UA Premier Executive
Smoking Lounges

Do you use the smoking lounges in the airports that have them? I walk by and see a glass box opaque with smoke down to people's knees. I often wonder how anyone can even breathe.
cvflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 10, 11:23 am   #2
Moderator, United Airlines, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Over-Entitled COdbaUA-1kMM, HH Plebe, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
There's a lot of "us smokers" out there and yes some of the airside smoking "rooms" can be bad but there are also some airports that have airside smoking areas which are outside (i.e. TPA and the Star Alliance Lounge at CDG)

Consolidated list of airports allowing airside smoking [see post 140]
Old Nov 23, 10, 6:13 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvflyer View Post
I walk by and see a glass box opaque with smoke down to people's knees.
I've seen a similar 'view' in smoking lounges which don't have good ventilation (that is, small children don't get sucked into the vents if they stand within 10 feet). Most lounges I've smoked in recently have great ventilation and smoke disappears almost immediately (though the smell lingers disgustingly, even for us smokers).
marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 10, 8:28 am   #4

I agree, proper ventilation is very important for indoor smoking lounges. The outside smoking areas are a better idea, as long as smokers can easily get to them.
Old Nov 24, 10, 10:53 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond
Why I mourn the loss of airport smoking lounges
Old Nov 24, 10, 2:23 pm   #6
Moderator, United Airlines, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Over-Entitled COdbaUA-1kMM, HH Plebe, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Very nicely done
Old Nov 24, 10, 2:27 pm   #7

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Accor Plat, Carlson Gold, Hertz PC
I'd love to be able to have a smoke to go with my pre-flight scotch. Cigar would be ideal but the lingering odour would be inconsiderate for fellow passengers... Unless we had smoking jackets
sajgidda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 10, 12:09 am   #8

Programs: UA PL*G (0.60 BIS MM), HHonors Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvflyer View Post
I walk by and see a glass box opaque with smoke down to people's knees. I often wonder how anyone can even breathe.
From the tone of what you are talking about, you don't sound like a smoker.

As if you are one, you wouldn't care about how bad the ventilation it is, you would be happy and appreciate that you can find one airside.
ORDnHKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 10, 12:52 am   #9
Suspended

When I smoked I did, and I knew where every one in the US was by heart and some in Europe as well.

I don't know why airports are phasing them out. If they are ventilated well, they really don't hurt anyone and they ease the volume of second hand smoke curbside as well as the security lines at airports where smokers go airside to curbside and back through the checkpoints just to have one.

I have seen more than a few smokers fly completely off the handle from withdrawls..the Kettle smokers tend to forget alternatives like gum, lozenges, patches, and snuff for long haul travel.

Even to this day, despite the oligarchical nature of transportation security and law, a plane gets diverted every so often because someone just HAD to smoke in the lav and attempted to disarm the smoke detector. With lounges in the airports, this may help reduce that problem.
pinworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 10, 2:30 am   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinworm View Post
I don't know why airports are phasing them out.
Whilst there are a few outside ones airside in the UK, the indoor ones are unfortunately illegal. I haven't really followed the law in other countries, but I wonder if it's due to the same reason.
marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 10, 6:36 am   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post

As if you are one, you wouldn't care about how bad the ventilation it is, you would be happy and appreciate that you can find one airside.
I'm a former smoker. I didn't mean to sound judgmental; it's just even when I did smoke I preferred outside lounges airside if I could find them.
Old Nov 29, 10, 1:36 pm   #12
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post

I have always thought the worst ones were in STL. Too small, but always full. I would go in, get 4 puffs in, and have to leave. And I was a HARDCORE smoker! It was still too much sometimes.
pinworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 10, 3:49 pm   #13

Programs: DL Plat, US CP, AA EXP
I'm a non-smoker, but I have to say that the smoking room in the ANA F lounge at NRT around the 50's gates was a model for smoking lounges everywhere. It's pretty much hermetically sealed off from the rest of the lounge and so well ventilated that it didn't even reek of smoke when I went in right after someone had used it (I was getting restless during a long layover and wanted to see all the parts of the lounge). It was sleekly designed with comfortable chairs and great runway/tarmac views (in fact slightly better than the rest of the lounge itself in terms of seeing all the operations of that corner of NRT). The only complaint I could see was that in order to access it you had to go through the workstation area, which could get annoying to those trying to work in the lounge.

I understand that this was in an F lounge and thus well-maintained and not used by as many people as a typical smoking lounge (not to mention that the smoking lounges in Japan seem to be much cleaner and more advanced than their counterparts elsewhere), but I feel like the hermetically sealed aspect could translate to other lounges in airports. I for one would love to have outside smoking patios brought back as it would be kind of cool to be able to go outside once airside.
chasgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 10, 9:30 pm   #14
2014 Secret Santa

Programs: US Chairman's, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, ICHPlat, MarriottR, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I enjoyed reading this very much. It is a well-presented argument - and essay. Thank you.

I agree with the argument that well designed smoking areas would ease both the curbside smoking and the re-entering through security. The fact that people choose to smoke is not going away merely through legislation and draconian measures that attempt to inconvenience the smoker.
Old Dec 1, 10, 1:01 am   #15

Programs: UA PL*G (0.60 BIS MM), HHonors Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasgoose View Post
I understand that this was in an F lounge and thus well-maintained and not used by as many people as a typical smoking lounge (not to mention that the smoking lounges in Japan seem to be much cleaner and more advanced than their counterparts elsewhere), but I feel like the hermetically sealed aspect could translate to other lounges in airports. I for one would love to have outside smoking patios brought back as it would be kind of cool to be able to go outside once airside.
It is only because it is an F lounge, very little traffic. If you go to the C side, people keep going in and out, and the smoke will of course leak out as well.

I think when you talk about smoking lounge, you must have seen when there are the least people. No matter how "clean" the lounge is, when there are like 20+ smokers in a smoking lounge, all of them chain smoking, a clean lounge with good ventilation will still be dirty and smoke filled. It is only in Japan there are cleaners would clean the lounge frequently, and probably wash or repaint the ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinworm View Post
I have always thought the worst ones were in STL. Too small, but always full. I would go in, get 4 puffs in, and have to leave. And I was a HARDCORE smoker! It was still too much sometimes.
What do you mean by HARDCORE smoker ? lol.

I had never been to STL, but the ones in IAD by C or D I thought are the worst. If you were a pack a day smoker, smoke the cig up to the filter like I am, I am sure your addiction would matter more than being uncomfortable.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 1, 10 at 1:15 am.
ORDnHKG is offline   Reply With Quote