Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Overweight passenger bleeding into your seat - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

I'm a new member of this forum. So hopefully I'll not break any etiquette rules of this board with my first post. I've searched for threads on this topic, and can't seem to find any that answer my questions. If there are other threads that address this, please guide me to them.

I'm actually posting this question for a friend, because she's not very message-board savvy (whereas I'm active on a number of forums). But this is something that I've wondered about - and with several lengthy flights coming up in my future, I'm curious what I would do.

Kelly was on a flight last weekend with her husband, from Dallas to LAX. 3-across seating on the right side of the plane - she had the middle, hubby had the window. The passenger who had the aisle was, shall we say, enormous - beyond obese. She showed me photos - he had to be at least 450 lbs. She shot photos with her cellphone camera when the guy was napping. They show a pretty awful situation. His stomach was two inches from the seat in front of him (unreclined). His knees were so far apart (due to the bulk of flesh between them) that his right one was literally halfway across the seatback in front of my friend, and his left one was well out into the aisle. His shoulder extended into Kelly's seat, taking up a good 1/4 of it. His...um...bottom extended many inches onto her seat. Obviously it was not possible to put the seat arm down. Kelly spent the entire flight squooshed up against her husband, who was, in turn, squarshed up against the wall. Overall, she really only got to use half of her seat.

They had to decline any drinks, for fear of having to use the rest room, which would simply not have been possible without major trauma for all surrounding them. So they spent the flight thirsty. Fortunately it was a pretty short flight, but she says it was a pretty horrid experience. Both of them had limbs fall asleep.

I'm not actually sure what airline it was - she told me, but I forgot. I'll ask her tonight. But in any event, what should she have done? What are the airline's policies about passengers of size these days? The flight was jam-packed full - not a single open seat. She says the guy kept apologizing, and she felt bad for him, so she just accepted it. Me? I don't think I would be able to. I tend to be a bit more - shall we say - insistent that I get what I've paid for. If I've paid for a seat on a plane, I personally feel that I am entitled to that entire seat - not just the portion that my overweight seatmate isn't bleeding into. But it's not like I can ask him to drop a few hundred pounds on the spot!

I've got several international trips coming up - to Costa Rica, to Tel Aviv, to Athens. What would I do if this happened to me? I could NOT handle something like that for an overnight flight!

Look, I have compassion for weight-challenged people. I'm sorry for whatever is going on with his life and health that caused him to be that large. But why should we have to suffer to that degree for his problem?

Her husband wants to email the photos to the airline and ask for some compensation. They're thinking that half the amount of one of the tickets would be appropriate, since they only had use of 1 1/2 seats, while they paid for two.

What do you all think? Have you had this happen to you? What did you do?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Welcome to FT.

I suggest you try searching for "POS" or "Passenger of size". It's a very common topic that gets some people quite worked up. You'll find a spectrum of opinions on the topic. Unfortunately, it's one of those topics that's commonly used to generate inflamed and angry discussion. Some people with nothing better to do seem to find it amusing to try to generate heated debates. I don't know why.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Welcome to FT!

This topic isn't off limits for FT, and this is generally the right forum for it.

However, this topic has been debated ad infinitum here as well. I'd suggest you do a search on a word like "overweight" that's unlikely to show up in other contexts. You may find the answer you need there. If not, you may find that your question has become more focused.

Keep in mind, though, that many of those threads have been closed to further posts by the moderators after they degenerated into insults and name-calling! This topic can raise heated emotions, both on the part of those who are wide, for whatever reason, and those who have been seated in your friend's position.

Also, airline policies vary. The only commonality is that anyone who needs a seat belt extender is not supposed to sit in an emergency exit row. Once you find out what airline your friend was on, you might search that airline's forum as well.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a simple answer to the OP's question:

You have a right to the seat that you paid for. If you wind up next to a passenger of size such as described in the OP's post, refuse to accept your seat. Stand in the aisle and the FA you're not moving until either you're provided another seat or the passenger of size is removed. If you're told to deboard and take it up with the gate agent, politely refuse and say, "Please have the gate agent come on board to address this situation." If you're told that there are no more seats and you'll have to take the next flight, tell the FA or the GA, "Oh, so this is an IDB (involuntarily denied boarding)?" You do not have to give up half your seat to anyone.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Just FYI, I did searches on "overweight passenger", "overweight", "fat". I couldn't find a single thread devoted to just that topic. I found lots of threads about overweight baggage. But maybe I didn't look hard enough. And it never occurred to me to search "POS" or "passenger of size". I'll try that.

I was actually quite surprised to find so little discussion about this topic on here. I kinda figured it would be like "booze smuggling" on Cruise Critic. Sounds like it is!

If anyone wants to post links to any particularly good threads on this topic, I'd love to read them.

PTravel - thanks for the tips! I'll do some research on what an IDB is, and what my rights are with regards to it. I'm also going to advise my friend to go ahead and request compensation from the airline, since as you say, she had a right to the entire seat she paid for. We'll see what happens.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
A few:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...er-sizing.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...passenger.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...assengers.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ght-limit.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-mean-big.html
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Some more:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...person+of+size
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:24 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
LeeAnne, welcome to FlyerTalk.

This forum has indeed hosted threads on this topic in the past. If you search the forum for "obese" or "person of size", you'll find most all of them.

As most have been closed or are old, I've not merged this thread with them. We'll keep this one open, so long as members follow the F.T. Rules and Guidelines, stay on topic, and avoid personalized arguments with each other. Thanks! Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Mod! I do know how annoying it can be for the same-ol topic to be posted ad infinitum. Sorry to have contributed.

I don't fly often enough to have felt a need to join this forum before - maybe three or four times a year, and I've never encountered a situation I didn't know how to handle. But I've wondered about this particular situation on occasion, so I appreciate all the links to other threads. I'll skim through them.

Do you all think that there is any likelihood of compensation for my friend? Or does the fact that she shut up and took it mean that she can't now go back and ask for anything?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LeeAnne
Thank you Mod! I do know how annoying it can be for the same-ol topic to be posted ad infinitum. Sorry to have contributed.

I don't fly often enough to have felt a need to join this forum before - maybe three or four times a year, and I've never encountered a situation I didn't know how to handle. But I've wondered about this particular situation on occasion, so I appreciate all the links to other threads. I'll skim through them.

Do you all think that there is any likelihood of compensation for my friend? Or does the fact that she shut up and took it mean that she can't now go back and ask for anything?
It never hurts to ask for compensation. Whether your friend will receive depends on a few things, including the airline and whether your friend has status. The general rule of thumb, however, is to handle the issue immediately, rather than waiting for after the flight. And never believe an FA or GA who says, "We have to leave now. Just sit down and we'll straighten it out once we're up."
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Okay, so what I've learned just in a quick skim of the other threads: if the armrest doesn't come down, I have the right to demand either another seat for me, or for the POS. And if they can't accommodate that, then it's the POS who should be removed from the flight, since he/she can't be contained in one seat and should have purchased two. Or, if I have the time, I can volunteer to be IDB'd and take a later flight, and receive some form of compensation and/or class upgrade.

Also, it's crucial that I deal with the situation immediately - not after we're in flight.

I think I have a better understanding of my rights now, should this happen to me. If it does, I'll use the armrest litmus test and take it from there. And I'll pass all this on to my poor squarshed friend. Thanks!

(Mods, if you want to close the thread to avoid "shtuff", feel free - I see there are plenty of other threads filled with information.)
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Based on the thread title alone, I'd have said:
Offer a bandage and call a doctor?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
There's a simple answer to the OP's question:

You have a right to the seat that you paid for. If you wind up next to a passenger of size such as described in the OP's post, refuse to accept your seat. Stand in the aisle and the FA you're not moving until either you're provided another seat or the passenger of size is removed. If you're told to deboard and take it up with the gate agent, politely refuse and say, "Please have the gate agent come on board to address this situation." If you're told that there are no more seats and you'll have to take the next flight, tell the FA or the GA, "Oh, so this is an IDB (involuntarily denied boarding)?" You do not have to give up half your seat to anyone.
All else equal, this is what I would do. But I think I'd feel too badly about embarrassing the fat guy/girl. Tough call.

If someone is so big that they do not fit in their seat, they should have to buy a second seat, end of story. GFunkDave hath spake.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
All else equal, this is what I would do. But I think I'd feel too badly about embarrassing the fat guy/girl. Tough call.
It's up to the FA to avoid embarrassing the person. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to make the person feel bad. However, really large people are very aware that they live in a world designed for people of less girth. Even if they are a first time flier, they've at least seen the cabin of an aircraft on television or in the movies. They would have to know that they might not fit into the seat and, if they don't, they'll be spreading into someone else's.

If someone is so big that they do not fit in their seat, they should have to buy a second seat, end of story. GFunkDave hath spake.
Exactly. I have nothing against people who are obese -- I judge people by their character, not by the pound. Someone who tries to take over my seat space, whether because they are obese, or are holding a lap child or a lap top, is imposing on me, and I won't accept the imposition.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave

If a POS doesn't buy a second seat, they're inconsiderate. I would not have a problem, if necessary, embarassing an inconsiderate individual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.