FA dereclines me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA dereclines me

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
FA dereclines me

AF Aisle seat in Y on A340. (want DL flyers opinion).

I was eating. I had headphones/music on.

The seat ahead of me was 100% reclined, which didn't bother me particularly (I'm 5'10" 180#).

I was ~ 70% recline.

FA points to me, I start to take off headphone to ask what she is talking about or asking.

She then quickly grabs the armrest, pushes the recline button and abruptly dereclines me. I nearly spill food.

I think to myself "..., what a B", but say nothing. After the meal is over, I rerecline to 50% or so and the flight proceeds uneventfully other than occasionally I feel a little kicking from the purple haired man behind me but no comments ever from him.

Question:

-If it's not an emergency (takeoff/landing/disturbance etc), shouldn't she talk to me first and ask/instruct me to derecline?

I would never disobey a FA especially over this issue.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Did you ask her why?

Sorry, I find it hard to believe that if you were situated normally in a reclined seat that just pushing the button would cause the seat to return to an upright position, especially with the force you describe.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
-If it's not an emergency (takeoff/landing/disturbance etc), shouldn't she talk to me first and ask/instruct me to derecline?

I would never disobey a FA especially over this issue.
It seems like she should have done two things differently. First, she should have instructed you, rather than doing it for you. (Unless, of course, she'd been standing there tryiing to get your attention for 5 minutes. ) Second, she should have also requested that the pax in front of you "derecline."

I think requesting that seats be upright for meal service is not unreasonable, but it only works if it's enforced for all pax. It seems unfair to make you sit up, if she left the person ahead of you reclined.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Ok here's the image:

FA left hand goes to the button

FA right hand goes to the seat back and abruptly dereclines me.

She pushed me up.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

wifey was reclined too, she said nothing.

per wifey, she had just arrived and immediately attacked my seat.

Last edited by aubreyfromwheaton; Sep 30, 2010 at 1:34 pm Reason: to too two
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by DLFan2
Sorry, I find it hard to believe that if you were situated normally in a reclined seat that just pushing the button would cause the seat to return to an upright position, especially with the force you describe.
Some FAs are quite adept at pushing that button while pulling on the seat back. I've seen it happen more than once, and have even been on the receiving end a few times. The leverage that can be achieved is surprising.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
...I would have pointed to the pax in front of me, and mentioned the reason you are reclined is because the pax in front of you has fully reclined and you need some space.

David
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:37 pm

Ok here's the image:

FA left hand goes to the button

FA right hand goes to the seat back and abruptly dereclines me.

She pushed me up.
OK. Makes a difference. Apparently you did not question her action...why?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have had this happen to me on Emirates and Qantas. I am 6'0'' 200 lbs and the FA has no trouble hitting the button with one hand and adjusting the seat with the other. Normally I see it though when the person has been asked and doesn't respond.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:43 pm

wifey was reclined too, she said nothing.

per wifey, she had just arrived and immediately attacked my seat.
My guess, then, is that the person behind you complained. That doesn't explain why she didn't give you an opportunity to do it yourself, but maybe she thought she was being helpful?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Wrong forum?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:49 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

#1 write to Delta, presumably you'd like some points out of the deal (and I think you deserve something - at least an apology and points make an apology more meaningful)

#2 if it ever happens again (has never happened to me!) be sure to ask why this was done - seems very rude at the least and potentially could cause a spill or other problem since you are not prepared for the sudden change.

Last edited by wbl-mn-flyer; Sep 30, 2010 at 1:56 pm
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Wrong forum?
He said he wanted DL Flyers' input
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PHLyer82
I have had this happen to me on Emirates and Qantas. I am 6'0'' 200 lbs and the FA has no trouble hitting the button with one hand and adjusting the seat with the other. Normally I see it though when the person has been asked and doesn't respond.
It happened to me on AF, while I was asleep. It did wake me up! Was not happy
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
#1 write to Delta, presumably you'd like some points out of the deal (and I think you deserve something - at least an apology and points make an apology more meaningful)

#2 if it ever happens again (has never happened to me!) be sure to ask why this was done - seems very rude at the least and potentially could cause a spill or other problem since you are not prepared for the sudden change.

Hopefully the union vote will fail. Flight attendants are a "customer service" position and need to treat the customers with respect. They are not there "primarily for our safety" even if you may hear that phrase used. We're not safe, if that's really the case.
Please reread the post. It happen on an AF A-340.

Delta won't care. It will also be a long while before they take delivery of any A-340s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.