Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by rbwpi
...Apparently my plan to go thru life without annoying, bothering, irritating or imposing myself on others and expecting the same in return, is flawed.
Your expectation to be able to go through life without being annoyed will, unfortunately, founder on the rocks of human nature. Your fellow humans are not perfect. (I suspect that neither you nor I is either, even though we're both probably well-behaved on airplanes.) You do not control their imperfection. All you control is your response to it. Getting upset over something is a personal choice. It should be a conscious choice based on "this is something worth getting upset over," not a gut reaction.

I suggest we should have, as the old Irish blessing says, "the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can change, and the wisdom to know the difference." What is at issue here is the serenity part. A bit more of it, whether sealed into an aluminum tube with a crying child or in any other situation, will help us all get along.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Is the thought of someone in a wheelchair boarding before a so-called Elite really such a problem?

I have a relative who is wheelchair bound and I assure you she would gladly swap her early boarding privileges on aircraft and Disneyland with you if you'd take the hand she has been dealt.
That's not what he said. No person in the coach line is supposed to board until all the Elite passengers have boarded. Therefore, it only makes sense to board wheelchairs through the coach entrance, since all of those people are quite a long time from boarding anyway. He wasn't suggesting that the wheelchair-bound customers should be required to wait until the Elite passengers had boarded.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by Efrem
Your expectation to be able to go through life without being annoyed will, unfortunately, founder on the rocks of human nature. Your fellow humans are not perfect.
This is undoubtedly true, but the issue is that airlines pretty much advertise the unattainable concept of complete comfort, peace and perfection in their premium cabins. It's understandable therefore that people are disappointed when the reality doesn't meet those expectations. Whether or not children should be banned from premium cabins is academic; it's not going to happen. The real question is whether airlines are entirely honest about the product that they are selling (at a very high price, I might add).
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr H
This is undoubtedly true, but the issue is that airlines pretty much advertise the unattainable concept of complete comfort, peace and perfection in their premium cabins. It's understandable therefore that people are disappointed when the reality doesn't meet those expectations. Whether or not children should be banned from premium cabins is academic; it's not going to happen. The real question is whether airlines are entirely honest about the product that they are selling (at a very high price, I might add).
McDonald's advertises a burger unlike any I usually see at one of their locations. Am I disappointed when I get something less than they advertise, or am I realistic when I understand that all companies but their best foot forward when advertising?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Thanks for your unsolicited advice as to how I should conduct my life.
Gee, you seem pretty prepared to advise others on how to conduct theirs.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by BearX220
Gee, you seem pretty prepared to advise others on how to conduct theirs.
Please point out where I have advised others on how to conduct their lives.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:08 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Redhead
I was eating in 5 star restaurants at the age of 2 and was raised to understand what is and is not appropriate behaviour for a wide variety of situations. No age limit. Some of the worst behaviour that I've seen has come from supposed adults
I agree that there should be an age restriction but some exceptions because if you are raised well and have good manners then you should be able to fly business, but then if not well behaved then you shouldn't be able to. I started flying J when I was 5 (MSP-AMS 747 Upper Deck).

Delta747
Old Sep 1, 2010, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Delta747
I agree that there should be an age restriction but some exceptions because if you are raised well and have good manners then you should be able to fly business, but then if not well behaved then you shouldn't be able to. I started flying J when I was 5 (MSP-AMS 747 Upper Deck).Delta747
How would airlines go about determining this before the flight? How would they prevent the inevitable complaints (and perhaps lawsuits) from those who fail to make the grade?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:08 am

Last month, I went to a modern dance recital. Before the show, I saw a couple with an infant-the baby couldn't have been more than 2 months old, if that. The lights went down, the modern (read: non-soothing) music began and the baby screamed. Mom took the baby out of the theater for the rest of the show, so other than ruining the opening 2 minutes for everyone, no harm.

What happened in that case was a couple deciding that their right (clear and legal) to take an infant into the theater trumped everyone else's right to enjoy the show as the choreographer and director intended. There were no Irish proverbs during the recital.

Small kids don't know or care if they are in coach or business. Rather it is the parents' desire to enjoy upgraded service that results in kids in business and first. They are putting their right to book business for their small kids ahead of the right of the other passengers to enjoy an adult experience. On a plane, however, you can't just take the child and step outside.

It would be nice if all parents were like the one who posted above, who seems to book C with a careful eye to her kids' likely behavior, and with a concern for other passengers. Well dream on-they aren't. And the airlines are not going to referee this one either, any more than they do gate lice and overhead bag space poachers.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:14 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Efrem
Accept it, chill a bit, and get on with your life.
This kind of condescending response have no place on FT.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Or anywhere else.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
There were no Irish proverbs during the recital.
LOL ^^^
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Strange, it looked like good advice to me. Is there a problem with telling someone they need to relax a bit?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Is there a problem with telling someone they need to relax a bit?
Yes, there is a problem with telling someone anything when it's done in a condescending manner.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Last month, I went to a modern dance recital... the modern (read: non-soothing) music began and the baby screamed.
The kid was most likely an excellent arts critic. When a baby screams he's only doing what a lot of adults wish they could do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.