Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
It really depends.

Story 1: December 2009

I remember encountering a red-headed mother and her son in J during a BA flight from LHR to JFK. I remember, as the child looked like the toddler version of my best friend (another ginger like myself, though he travels J as a rule, while I as an exception).

He angelically slept for the duration of the flight....including the 3 hours from the time we landed to the time we got to the gate during the snowstorm that crippled NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington. During the long hours stuck in the airport, he slept on the floor. Immaculate child.

Story 2-2000:

Screaming, hollering, and banging the screen harder than (profane references self-censored).

I wouldn't mind an age restriction, as I find well behaved children are the exception, not the rule.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
No, I don't think an age floor is appropriate for business or first class, nor do I think segregating families into a certain area of the coach class is acceptable. It's not the kids - it's the parents.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by yamaka
... but of course those people think their peace is more important because they (or someone else) paid more for their tickets.
Actually, I think my peace is more important than that of those in coach, because I paid more for my ticket. I paid more for my ticket based upon the representation of comfort and convienence in the premium cabin, made by the carrier. Allowing very young children and infant in arms (who can cry, howl uncontrollably) can substantially increase the probably of disruptive, annoying, frustrating behavior which would negate the representation relative to comfort and convienence.

Unlike the premium cabins, carriers only represent that they will get you safely from point A to point B when in coach and nothing more.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Actually, I think my peace is more important than that of those in coach, because I paid more for my ticket. I paid more for my ticket based upon the representation...
They promised you a bigger seat, food, free drinks, early boarding, faster check-in and perhaps a personal video. I can't think of an airline that ever promised a child-free, noise-free or disturbance-free experience. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt it. (If they did, I'd like them to screen out annoying adults too. I find efforts at religious conversion more disturbing than a child's cries, in part because the person in question is old enough to presumably know better.)

If total peace and quiet is that important to you, charter a plane. Otherwise, public transportation is public transportation - even in the larger seats and relative comfort of F/J. Accept it, chill a bit, and get on with your life. In the final analysis, a child crying because his ears hurt and he can't understand why isn't the worst thing in the world.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
They promised you a bigger seat, food, free drinks, early boarding, faster check-in and perhaps a personal video. I can't think of an airline that ever promised a child-free, noise-free or disturbance-free experience. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt it. (If they did, I'd like them to screen out annoying adults too. I find efforts at religious conversion more disturbing than a child's cries, in part because the person in question is old enough to presumably know better.)

If total peace and quiet is that important to you, charter a plane. Otherwise, public transportation is public transportation - even in the larger seats and relative comfort of F/J. Accept it, chill a bit, and get on with your life. In the final analysis, a child crying because his ears hurt and he can't understand why isn't the worst thing in the world.
There a big gap between "total peace and quiet" and the OP's experience. The airlines' refusal to keep C and F reasonably sane is a big reason why I value sitting up front much lower than I once did.

Accepting rudeness in day to day life helps assure its increasing presence.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Amelorn
I wouldn't mind an age restriction, as I find well behaved children are the exception, not the rule.
I think it's actually the other way around, only it's the hellions that live in memory.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

^^
Old Aug 31, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by BearX220
I think it's actually the other way around, only it's the hellions that live in memory.
Very true. The thing about the well-behaved kids is that you don't notice them on a plane even if they're right behind you, whereas the shrieker 20 rows back gets remembered by EVERYONE.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Actually, I think my peace is more important than that of those in coach, because I paid more for my ticket. I paid more for my ticket based upon the representation of comfort and convienence in the premium cabin, made by the carrier...
I dare not get into the subject of what percentage of domestic USA F cabin passengers actually pay for the F ticket. The nose of a CX 744 is one thing, but the first four rows of an LGA-ORD shuttle are quite another.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
FWIW, my son is 14 months old, and has flown 18 segments. 10 or so segments have been in J or F (all three hours or shorter). He is well-behaved and generally quiet whether in the front of the plane or back. Should this change (knock on wood), I would not be willing to fly with him up front. I do realize, however, that he has a very good temperament and my next infant/toddler may not be so "nice".

Originally Posted by marklyon
It's not the age of the child. It's what the people responsible for them will tolerate.
^ Agreed, with the exception of children under a year old. As much as my wife and I would love to take credit for my son's good behavior, I think that up until this point it has been good luck. From the age of a year or so on, I certainly agree that the onus is on us to ensure that they're considerate of their cabin-mates whether they're in F, J, or Y.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
They promised you a bigger seat, food, free drinks, early boarding, faster check-in and perhaps a personal video. I can't think of an airline that ever promised a child-free, noise-free or disturbance-free experience. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
I think airlines imply it.

Virgin Atlantic did adverts for their Upper Class showing people looking haggard getting on a plane and looking young and refreshed getting off. Singapore Airlines shows beds for its suites class. BA markets its sleeper service and had adverts showing beds in various exotic locations. The TG website shows people lying down with eyes closed in C and asleep in F. CX says of its business class cabins: “Wouldn't it be nice to get away from it all and leave your cares behind? You can, in the cosy surroundings of our new Business Class, with its exceptional comfort and enhanced privacy”. Their F promises: “just the right amount of personal attention, interaction and privacy, whenever you want”.

Meanwhile, AC, the topic of the OP, says of its Executive First product: “On your next international trip, relax in the privacy of our Executive First Suites*, with the added comfort of a fully flat bed. Designed to provide you with your own personal space that's ideal for a good night's sleep, each Executive First Suite* reclines into a fully flat bed at the touch of a button. Armed with a comfy pillow and duvet and fully equipped with all the latest in-flight amenities, you'll arrive at your destination completely refreshed and ready to start your day”.

Looks clear to me that peace, quiet, privacy and relaxation are central to the marketing of premium cabins on all the intercontinental airlines I have chosen to look at.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mr H

Virgin Atlantic did adverts for their Upper Class showing people looking haggard getting on a plane and looking young and refreshed getting off. Singapore Airlines shows beds for its suites class. BA markets its sleeper service and had adverts showing beds in various exotic locations. The TG website shows people lying down with eyes closed in C and asleep in F. CX says of its business class cabins: “Wouldn't it be nice to get away from it all and leave your cares behind? You can, in the cosy surroundings of our new Business Class, with its exceptional comfort and enhanced privacy”. Their F promises: “just the right amount of personal attention, interaction and privacy, whenever you want”.

Meanwhile, AC, the topic of the OP, says of its Executive First product: “On your next international trip, relax in the privacy of our Executive First Suites*, with the added comfort of a fully flat bed. Designed to provide you with your own personal space that's ideal for a good night's sleep, each Executive First Suite* reclines into a fully flat bed at the touch of a button. Armed with a comfy pillow and duvet and fully equipped with all the latest in-flight amenities, you'll arrive at your destination completely refreshed and ready to start your day”.

Looks clear to me that peace, quiet, privacy and relaxation are central to the marketing of premium cabins on all the intercontinental airlines I have chosen to look at.
^^^

Continental on their website refers to BusinessFirst as "the ultimate in comfort and convienence".
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
A few weeks ago, I had a sandwich in a restaurant. There was a sign on the wall that read:

"Unattended children will be given an expresso and a free puppy."
and a toy drum.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:13 pm

If total peace and quiet is that important to you, charter a plane.

Accept it, chill a bit, and get on with your life.
Perhaps the offending party should bear the cost of a charter and not their victims?

I'm not prepared to accept someone's lack of consideration for their fellow travelers. Thanks for your unsolicited advice as to how I should conduct my life. Apparently my plan to go thru life without annoying, bothering, irritating or imposing myself on others and expecting the same in return, is flawed.

Last edited by rbwpi; Aug 31, 2010 at 8:40 pm
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps the offending party should bear the cost of a charter and not their victims?

I'm not prepared to accept someone's lack of consideration for their fellow travelers. Thanks for your unsolicited advice as to how I should conduct my life. Apparently my plan to go thru life without annoying, bothering, irritating or imposing myself on others and expecting the same in return, is flawed.
Maybe it is flawed. You are attempting to annoy, bother, irritate and impose yourself on the parents of those children who are well behaved by imposing an arbitrary age limit on other members of the public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.