Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Not what dg said

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Is the thought of someone in a wheelchair boarding before a so-called Elite really such a problem?

I have a relative who is wheelchair bound and I assure you she would gladly swap her early boarding privileges on aircraft and Disneyland with you if you'd take the hand she has been dealt.

He suggested using the general boarding lane rather than the elite lane. He did not say that elite should precede wheelchairs.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by marklyon
It's not the age of the child. It's what the people responsible for them will tolerate.
Brilliant summation.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Is the thought of someone in a wheelchair boarding before a so-called Elite really such a problem?

I have a relative who is wheelchair bound and I assure you she would gladly swap her early boarding privileges on aircraft and Disneyland with you if you'd take the hand she has been dealt.
Please go back and actually read my post. I did not in any way suggest that wheelchairs should not board first. I merely suggested that they should take the more direct path through the coach boarding lane, rather than going out of their way to push past elites lined up in the elite lane.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 5:24 pm

[QUOTEi do not recall any non-resort hotel, or any restaurant with a no children policy.[/QUOTE]

There is a list here of restaurants which have various child-restriction policies, including a number which have a flat "no children under age n" policy.

A Google search on hotels "no children" turns up a lot of hits, at least some of which seem to be non-resort hotels. Many of them seem to be smaller British hotels.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
This is not a new point to make re: this chestnut of a topic, but most of the disruption I've seen in premium cabins is caused by rude or drunken adults, and a polite child is usually much better flying company than a grown-up jerk.

A lunatic adult flipping out over window shade position, meal choice availability, getting cut off from the bar cart, coming on to FAs and female pax, etc., is far more annoying to me than an excited child.

If it were possible to exclude all rude, stupid, or out-of-control people from business and first class I'd be all for it. Sadly it's not, and it is public transport as planemechanic says, so... stiff upper lip.
wow, i read the thread title and thought maybe he has a point until i saw your post and realized that even "grown ups" don't always act like it.

btw, i LOVE your sig line!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 5:57 pm

A few weeks ago, I had a sandwich in a restaurant. There was a sign on the wall that read:

"Unattended children will be given an expresso and a free puppy."
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by Leonar
I took an AC flight Tuesday from IAH to FCO (still here now) and had a less than pleasant experience in Executive Business Class. The cabin (about 2/3 full) included a family of five-2 parents and 3 children about 7,4 & 2. After this flight I firmly believe that there should be at least a minimum age of 12 to travel in the business class cabin. Like dining in a nicer restaurant I don't expect to be subjected to someone elses screaming children after paying a hefty premium (in either dollars or miles). Plus, the pod style seats basically leave these kids sitting alone. To top off the eight hour nightmare, the 4 year old "had an accident" soaking the seat. The next person assigned to that seat is really going to appreciate that little surprise! I don't hate children, have my own, but would never think about subjecting people paying a premium to their antics.

I suggest an age restriction that varies based on whatever year you were born to exclude you so that you never have to travel in Executive Business class again. That should solve your problem.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
I'm of the opinion that anyone who disrupts my flight should be hogtied, duct-taped, and thrown into the cargo hold for the remainder of my flight, whether that's the screaming 2 year old two rows back or the drunk DYKWIA in C.

But I'm mean that way
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
My observation has been that drunk pax are far more frequently disruptive than children. And yes, as a FA I did have to deal with more drunk ADULTS misplaced urine than childrens (ok, in all honesty, neither was frequent- three incidents of drunk adults urinating either outide the lav or in their seat and one incident of a toddler throwing up down the neck of the pax in the row in front of them in my 5 years flying).

But, I am amazed that a child was permitted to punch passengers in the arm more than once. As a FA, i would have told the mother that she needed to keep the child in his seat 'for safety reasons' and that the child could not be permitted to touch other passengers. As a pax, I would have told the child directly, in no uncertian terms, not to touch me again. If the child then hit me again, i would repeat my message, loudly, directly into the child's face, while VERY FIRMLY holding his arm.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by planemechanic
If you wish to control the space around you then you have two options. Buy out the rest of the cabin to protect your privacy or fly by private jet. Nothing else is going to fly (pun intended).
+1. When you buy a ticket on public transport, which an airline is, you accept all the conditions of being surrounded by - the horror of it! - the public.

In about a million actual flight miles, the great majority of the unpleasant passengers I've encountered have been over 21 - often a lot over. I have yet to see a child with a "do you know who I am?" attitude, a desire to get roaring or sick drunk, a compulsion to sell me insurance, or a need to convert me to his version of the true faith. I have encountered adults with all of these. Perhaps adults shouldn't be allowed in J.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:11 am
pb3

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Originally Posted by Efrem
... Perhaps adults shouldn't be allowed in J.
But then you'd be excluding yourself!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: *G
no, there shouldnt be an age limit of how soon one can stand in the red/blue/special carpet 15 minutes prior to boarding yapping on a bluetooth headset with the Elite luggage tag hanging from hand-bag
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pb3
But then you'd be excluding yourself!
Sadly, since I stopped very-frequent flying a few years ago, I haven't been there as much as I'd like.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by deniah
no, there shouldnt be an age limit of how soon one can stand in the red/blue/special carpet 15 minutes prior to boarding yapping on a bluetooth headset with the Elite luggage tag hanging from hand-bag
I'd love to say you're exaggerating, but I've seen elite tags on handbags before. Sigh.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
EEK!

I think PB3 hit it: there's financial motivation for the airlines to sell as many elite class tix to as many pax as possible, regardless of the age of the pax.
A recent flight had a 2 year-old behaving badly for most of the 5-6 hour flight as the rest of the family sat 2 x 2 in business, mom across the aisle with an infant in her lap. When the kickee finally turned around and barked at the child, the youngster settled down, though Mom was quick to reply "He's only 2!!!!"
My seatmate put down his paper, eyed me over his specs and said, "Nevertheless, it worked."^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.