Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wearing seatbelts while seated

Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!

So, who wears their seatbelts while seated throughout a flight? As soon as the fasten-seatbelt sign turns off, do you immediately unbuckle the seatbelt? Do you keep it on throughout the flight? Do you always wear it during takeoff and landing?

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i keep mine on, maybe loosen it a bit.....i would like to see a stronger keep your *&*&*& seatbelt on when in you're seat announcement, you are liable for any injuries you cause if you are tossed about!

good luck...
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:46 am

I keep mine fastened, loosely, whenever I'm seated. I always have.

There are stories of sudden extreme turbulence and other misadventures, so I do prefer to have my seatbelt on. I must admit, though, that I have never fastened the belt over the blanket when asleep (as some airlines ask you to do), and no flight attendant has ever checked that I have my seatbelt fastened (not that I know of anyway).
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i always wear my setabelt. i keep it tight until i hear the double-ding on climb out and then loosen it but it is always attached during the flight*. on final approach give it a tight pull when i hear 'n feel the gear drop.

*on ua with ch9 on and i hear reports of turbulence ahead, i will give my seat belt a slight tighten
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Always on. It isn't uncomfortable so I have no reason not to.

As for having FAs check it while sleeping, UA is the most aggressive in this that I have experienced.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Always on. It isn't uncomfortable so I have no reason not to.
Same here. I cannot fathom why someone would not wear it whilst seated. People have died from the effects of unexpected turbulence.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ajax
Same here. I cannot fathom why someone would not wear it whilst seated. People have died from the effects of unexpected turbulence.
+1

Just look at the pax who were seated, but not wearing seatbelts on the UA flight that hit severe turbulence, sending people to the hospital.

Id much rather have it on, then spend a few days at the hospital, or end up six feet under...
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
Always on but loosened just a bit during the flight. Like many others, I prefer to stay seated during turbulence and I hope everyone near me does the same.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis First
I wear one while seated in a car too.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:56 am

It's always on. We expand a bit as we spend time in reduced pessure, so, like most here, I eventually loosen it a bit.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Always on. I've worn one in a car for 40+ years and it just feels odd not having it on. I can't fathom the thinking of folks who click it off as soon as the sign dings and as soon as we clear the taxiway on landing. I can think of bad things that could happen, but can't think of any benefit. Is it really uncomfortable?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
I'm with most here. Seat belt on. I even do the over the blanket thing. I have been on flights with bad turbulance that hit suddenly. Why take a chance?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:55 pm

Add me to the "always on" list...

I too also ensure it is over the blanket/quilt when sleeping.... makes life easier for everyone!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:00 pm

I also keep it on, but loosen it when the seat belt sign is turned off.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I always keep mine on.

When in J I fasten it outside my duvet to protect myself from being woken by overzealous FAs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.