Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 6, 10, 3:11 pm   #1

which airlines do NOT allow passengers to bring their own food/drink onboard?

which airlines do NOT allow passengers to bring their own food/drink onboard?
(and make flight attendants look out for passengers who sneak food onboard)

Besides Qantas' Jetstar Asia?

Last edited by drunkcats; Aug 6, 10 at 3:47 pm.
drunkcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 10, 3:39 pm   #2
Moderator: Travel Technology & Travel Photography

None, that I've heard of.
gfunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 10, 4:19 pm   #3

SX tried that. It (the airline) lasted < 1 yr.
greenery-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 10, 4:40 pm   #4

Programs: HH, BD
Jetstar's web site suggests that passengers are welcome to bring their own food. Have you had a recent experience that contradicts this?

http://www.jetstar.com/gx/en/flying-...e-air.aspx#ref
Quote:
Economy class passengers who do not pre-select and pay for their meals will be able to purchase a meal during meal services. Please note that without pre-purchase, we can not guarantee your preferred choice of meal will be available.

Passengers are also welcome to bring their own food on board however please note that there will be no refrigeration facilities or any heating facilities on board and crew will not provide cutlery, napkins or cups for food brought on board by passengers. Please click here for important information on cabin baggage restrictions for International flights to and from Australia.

All Economy class passengers will be given a complimentary bottle of water at the beginning of their flight. There will also be a water fountain and disposable cups in the economy class cabin. All other beverages, including additional bottled water is available for purchase.
Mrs. jib flew with this outfit a year or so ago. She mentioned that the whole operation was chaotic but she didn't say anything about being prevented from eating her own o-nigiri. She certainly would have brought her own food on board.
Old Aug 6, 10, 4:57 pm   #5

Ryanair won't allow people to consume their own hot food & alcohol on their flights.
alanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 10, 5:36 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanR View Post
Ryanair won't allow people to consume their own hot food & alcohol on their flights.
FWIW, I do not think any US-based carrier allows pax to consume their own alcohol on flights. Most, if not all state liquor licenses would prohibit such a practice for an entity which serves alcohol (some semi-dry locales allow "private clubs" in which patrons byob, but AFAIK, these are mutually exclusive with liquor-by-the-drink licenses).

In short, forbidding pax to consume alcohol purchased outside the airplane is a whole different animal than forbidding pax to consume their own food and non-alcoholic beverages.
greenery-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 10, 5:48 pm   #7

Programs: HH, BD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanR View Post
Hmmm ... Well the web site just says no hot drinks.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/...n-food-onboard

Quote:
Can I bring my own food onboard?

Passengers are welcome to bring their own food onboard, however, in the interest of safety passengers must not carry hot drinks onboard.
Old Aug 6, 10, 7:07 pm   #8
sfo

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat.
Air Asia. But my question is what if you do bring on board food and eat it, what can the airline really do about it, even if they have the police at the airport waiting, after all you have eaten the evidence.
sfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 10, 11:06 pm   #9
awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
Jetstar's web site suggests that passengers are welcome to bring their own food. Have you had a recent experience that contradicts this?

http://www.jetstar.com/gx/en/flying-...e-air.aspx#ref

Mrs. jib flew with this outfit a year or so ago. She mentioned that the whole operation was chaotic but she didn't say anything about being prevented from eating her own o-nigiri. She certainly would have brought her own food on board.
If you carry on down that page it says

"For flights operated by Jetstar Asia (3K) or Valuair (VF), unless you have special medical or dietary needs, please note that only food and drinks purchased from the cabin crew can be consumed onboard flights."

So it is OK to take your own food on Jetstar but not Jetstar Asia
awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 10, 2:07 am   #10

Quote:
I've seen people having to dump their "fresh" burgers when boarding
alanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 10, 3:05 am   #11

Programs: AC Aeroplan, LH M&M, BA Executive, FI Saga Club
I can definitely understand the policy to not allow refrigeration/microwaving of food (it'd never end!) as well as retrictions of alcohol but for the rest, to me it's just a tactic to make people buy on board.

I prefer seeing FI passengers boarding with a lunch bag than pax forced to buy expensive rubber-flavoured sandwiches.
derteilzeitberliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 10, 6:42 am   #12

Ryanair

Quote:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/...n-food-onboard
My brother once saw people get hauled off a Ryanair flight by police for drinking their own beer.

And from his version of events this was quite scandalous, and I'm surprised it didn't make the press...

This was on a flight from Germany to Italy. The passengers were mostly German. The cabin crew were all Irish and spoke English with very thick Irish accents. During the flight my brother heard a couple of muffled, garbled announcements which even he had problems making out but which seemed to be saying something about alcohol. These announcements were apparently (as he found out later) aimed at a group of Germans who had brought their own beer (this was pre-liquid ban). At no time were the passengers approached directly, and they continued to drink their beer, clearly oblivious to the fact that the garbled announcement had been aimed at them.

When the aircraft landed passengers were told to remain in their seats... and then, to everybody's amazement, the flight was boarded by armed police and the hapless beer-drinkers were dragged off the aircraft.

My brother hasn't flown Ryanair since...
Aviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 10, 8:55 am   #13

Programs: AA, DL, CO, Marriott, HH
On a couple of occasions my "Kippy" bag has contained naught but 4 miniature bottles of decent whisk(e)y. One TSAer did give the bag a second look, while on the other occasions, the contents seem to have gone un-noticed. Now, that's what we need, 3 ounce plastic flasks....

For years, before the TSA and liquid-less flying, I always carried a little booze, and don't ever remember being challenged by an FA in Economy. I suspect that the airlines "prohibit" the practice, but the only active discouragement would come if an FA actually witnessed the "pour' from bottle to plastic cup (or swigging straight from the jug). Now, if you order a cup of ice, they might be suspicious...
Old Aug 7, 10, 10:07 am   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenery-travel View Post
FWIW, I do not think any US-based carrier allows pax to consume their own alcohol on flights.
Indeed, it's against FAA rules for a passenger to drink alcohol not served to them by an FA. I imagine most aviation authorities have a similar rule - here in the UK it's illegal to be drunk on an airplane.
marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 10, 12:59 pm   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marble View Post
here in the UK it's illegal to be drunk on an airplane.
no exception for flights between UK and Ireland?
drunkcats is offline   Reply With Quote