Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F seat giveaway!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Delta...reported right here at FT after it happened.
Ah, right -- I remember the post.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:07 pm

I live in Atlanta and I have been the beneficiary of people's generosity when I was coming home from various airports around the world when I was on active duty.

My civilian company flies me C class whenever the flight is over 4 hours and I have given that to a couple of fellow Marines. I was on a JFK-FRA on Singapore Air when I stopped a young Lance Corporal and told him "Semper Fi, take my seat and give me yours." He looked at me like I was some molester or something and actually politely turned me down at first. His reasoning was he was traveling with 2 other guys and he didn't want to make them feel bad. At that point I turned around in the aisle and said very loudly "I am giving my seat to this young Marine but he is reluctant to leave his buddies in Coach. I need two volunteers to give up their seats and move to coach with me please." There were 4 hands that went into the air.

Funny, they were all former military themselves. I guess we take care of each other. The three of us had a really good flight back in coach.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by dollerman73
You misread between the lines. I was happy to give up the seat at first, it genuinely seemed as though the man was having a bad day. Seeing a grown man whinge like a 3 year old is really sad. I, like some of the other posters don't really care too much for the seat itself, and I don't drink, so there isn't a huge investment there for me. There was NO bluff at all. I was just more than a little surprised that there was not even a hint of gratitude, more almost a sense of disbelief, where maybe he felt like he better bugger off and take the seat quickly before I changed my mind. Regardless, I hope the trip into SLC was a little less painful for him, and who knows perhaps he was able to have a good nap and felt better upon landing... One can only hope!
Fair enough. It was just an inference of mine, not necessarily an implication of yours.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
When UA still had the 500-miles certificates, I was able to use my 1K status to upgrade soldiers on every flight I saw them and knew my fellow status rich colleagues would get all the F seats. This included giving up my seat many times. These days, it's tougher to do that as UA has taken away 500-mile certificates but gives elites free upgrades. Now I can only give up my seat.

Just this morning, flying from PHL to ORD, I gave up my F seat on an A320 to a Corporal who was on his way to Afghanistan. When we landed, he thanked me again and I showed him to United's Red Carpet Club, where we had a couple drinks and he told me his life story and talked about leaving behind his wife for his second tour of duty and how he was worried that he would never return. We exchanged emails and promised to keep in touch.

You meet some of the best people by giving up your seat or helping them get upgrades. I try to do it everytime I see someone in uniform. Sometimes they are so out of it that they just want to sleep, others want to talk, others want to meet later. Try it out, it's a little something extra that they take out to the war zone in a difficult time of their lives.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dollerman73
Was on a flight ATL-SLC the other night and boarded with my Y seat and after getting settled GA came and found me and told me they had an F seat available. My seatmate who was still putting his stuff in the overheads had a meltdown, yelling about the terrible day he had had, and how he felt he deserved the F seat. Fighting the urge to not reward what I felt was bad behavior (the parent in me) I offered the F seat to the man who was clearly upset. His response was, "Really? SURE!" And off he went, no thank you, or hey I appreciate that. The whole thing left me a little bemused to be honest, especially the passenger's lack of any kind of social etiquette. I have wondered in the past if I should offer my F seat to another passenger for various reasons, but I am not sure I will again.

So it got me thinking, anyone else ever offer their F seat to another passenger, what were the circumstances and/or reactions? Just curious...
2 years ago, when I was Plat on USAirways I was flying MCI to PHX and was on the UG list. I got the email that said there was no upgrade available, so I made sure I was on the list when I checked in and asked the gate agent before the flight. He told me that it was all full, but there was a connection that was quite late and two seats may open up. He said there was a CP and another Plat on the waiting list..but I figured I had a good odds of beating the other Plat out becuse I checked in at t24 and had flown some F using points in the last few months (USAirways compares each detail when two people of the same status are on the list before deciding). A few minutes beofore the flight the GA pages (Mr**** and Mr Pinworm, please approach the podium). I guess Mr***** was the CP and I won the Plat vs Plat contest that day. The GA says our upgrades cleared and gave us our new boarding passes. The plat who lost out was hanging around the ga desk and lost his mind...."WHAT!!!! I WANT TO SEE THEIR STATUS!! SHOW ME THEIR STATUS!! WHY DID I NOT GET THE UPGRADE I AM PLATINUM!!!???" He was making quite a scene and all the pax were watching this little tantrum. The GA wouldn't do it of course, the CP walked away real fast, and the guy then aimed his wrath at me: SHOW ME YOUR BOARDING PASS!!!!. "Nope" was my answer and I thought he would grab it from me..but I think he thought better of it. Finally the GA and what I guess was a sup calmed him down but he still ranted about how terrible USAirways was.

Geeez...and to think he paid for a coach ticket anyhow.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:48 am

Some people are pompous self centered aholes. My ex boyfriend belongs in this catagory.

He would have no problem sticking me in coach - despite the fact that I would never do that to him. (needless to say the relationship didn't last)

That being said, I have given my seat away, usually anonymously or quietly, to people who otherwise would never fly domestic F.

Domestic F is nothing to shout about, on any US based airline. I fly it regularly, so why not treat someone to it once in a while?. Its good travel karma.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by meFIRST
Some people are pompous self centered aholes. My ex boyfriend belongs in this catagory.

He would have no problem sticking me in coach - despite the fact that I would never do that to him. (needless to say the relationship didn't last)

That being said, I have given my seat away, usually anonymously or quietly, to people who otherwise would never fly domestic F.

Domestic F is nothing to shout about, on any US based airline. I fly it regularly, so why not treat someone to it once in a while?. Its good travel karma.
I personally do not adhere to the concept of "Karma"....it is superstitious thinking. But that is no reason not to do something nice for someone. Still, giving up an F seat to someone may be more sacrifice than is necessary!!
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icurhere2
During boarding - GA's have the flexibility (but not requirement) to upgrade uniformed service members if there are seats remaining after all elites are upgraded, which wouldn't be known before boarding.
Where did you learn this? It's news to me.

Aha, I see this came from the DL forum -- maybe it's unique to DL?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cam_macleod
No kidding! Always always always give your significant other the better seat. My husband and I are both male so no gender or chivalry issue here, but still. I upgraded myself and my husband on YYZ-NRT once, but had only one upgrade left to come home. My husband got to sit up front for 12 hours, and I sat in back with the occasional amazed FA visiting to say how odd it was.
That is one of the unwritten and unspoken rules of marriage/living with the SO. Kind of like, what is yours is mine and what is mine is mine. When there is only one F seat it goes to the SO.

Originally Posted by TNTrower
I live in Atlanta and I have been the beneficiary of people's generosity when I was coming home from various airports around the world when I was on active duty.

My civilian company flies me C class whenever the flight is over 4 hours and I have given that to a couple of fellow Marines. I was on a JFK-FRA on Singapore Air when I stopped a young Lance Corporal and told him "Semper Fi, take my seat and give me yours." He looked at me like I was some molester or something and actually politely turned me down at first. His reasoning was he was traveling with 2 other guys and he didn't want to make them feel bad. At that point I turned around in the aisle and said very loudly "I am giving my seat to this young Marine but he is reluctant to leave his buddies in Coach. I need two volunteers to give up their seats and move to coach with me please." There were 4 hands that went into the air.

Funny, they were all former military themselves. I guess we take care of each other. The three of us had a really good flight back in coach.
A BIG ^ from a retired Infantry E7

Originally Posted by ACN_1_FLYER
When UA still had the 500-miles certificates, I was able to use my 1K status to upgrade soldiers on every flight I saw them and knew my fellow status rich colleagues would get all the F seats. This included giving up my seat many times. These days, it's tougher to do that as UA has taken away 500-mile certificates but gives elites free upgrades. Now I can only give up my seat.

Just this morning, flying from PHL to ORD, I gave up my F seat on an A320 to a Corporal who was on his way to Afghanistan. When we landed, he thanked me again and I showed him to United's Red Carpet Club, where we had a couple drinks and he told me his life story and talked about leaving behind his wife for his second tour of duty and how he was worried that he would never return. We exchanged emails and promised to keep in touch.

You meet some of the best people by giving up your seat or helping them get upgrades. I try to do it everytime I see someone in uniform. Sometimes they are so out of it that they just want to sleep, others want to talk, others want to meet later. Try it out, it's a little something extra that they take out to the war zone in a difficult time of their lives.
+1
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: AC*E
i've given up my F seat numerous times. once was on a red-eye. my seatmate was talking to his old friend (they were both probably in their 70s), who was seated in the back. since i was going to be sleeping anyways, i gave up my seat so the two of them could chat and play cards. the FA was so surprised that i did it, that she gave me a bottle of wine. was unexpected, but a nice jesture! a few weeks later, a platinum member heard that i was asking for upgrade availablity to get my wife in F with me (i think i was only silver at the time). he came up to the GA and "sponsored" her into F. i do believe in travel karma

i'm actually flying business to HKG through YYZ in a few weeks, and my wife is going on the YYZ leg with me, so i'm hoping to upgrade her... if not, then i'll wait until we're both seated, and then ask her seatmate if they'd be willing to switch seats with me so we can sit together (w/o telling them my seat is in F). depending on their response, i'll either do the trade or ask someone else. i refuse to give up my F to an *hole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.