Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Term Car Rental Advice [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Long Term Car Rental Advice [Merged]

In short, I need a car for the next six months. My current vehicle basically died, and I'm only in Seattle for the next 6 months. I'm open to all options including used car, lease takeover, and car rental, and I'm trying to get the best deal possible. Based on the quote from the Chicago DO "Rental Car Kings" seminar description - "Spend $50 to rent a car and earn a $75 gift card? Is it really worth even owning a car when rentals can be so cheap and lucrative?" - I'd be interested in others' take on the rental car option (note that I am planning on attending that seminar at the Chicago DO). More specifically, what options are there for me? How can I best take advantage of the various promos and offers to get the best deal (lowest cost + greatest value in the form of mileage, free rental days, etc.)?

I've scoured the various forums, and I can't seem to find much advice on this topic. I've learned a bit (e.g., most credit cards offer insurance for up to 28 days), but not enough to guide me. The cheapest rate I've found is ~$3,000 including taxes and fees through Budget. (That price, however, does not reflect any value I'd get from offers that would give me milles, free days, etc.)

I apologize for posting this in multiple car rental forums, but I'm not sure which forum to post this question to. Admittedly, even after reading several FT posts in the various car rental forums, my knowledge of car rental programs is extremely limited. In addition, I am attending the Chicago DO and have signed up for the "Car Rental Kings" seminar. Unfortunately, I cannot wait till October to get a better understanding of car rental programs / offers given my current situation.

Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Enterprise Branch Managers will often negotiate on long term leases. Perhaps you could call a few local ones around you, tell them what you want to do and see what they offer. That would be my first step.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion, Hilton Gold
My best advice is to CALL each of the rental companies. They all have special "Multi-Month" rental departments (since a rental longer than 63 days is considered a short-term lease and is subject to different guidelines than a typical rental) that can give you monthly rates and billing options that will be much more attractive than anything you can find online.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Owners/general managers/outside sales representatives at franchised Dollar and Thrifty locations will also often negotiate on long-term leases (technically, multi-month contracts).

I'm less knowledgeable about what kind of authority managers at corporate locations have to dictate rates, and I'm not even sure if specific locations have dedicated outside sales reps or if that is all centralized in the Corporate Sales department in Tulsa.

Enterprise has its Month Or More program, and Avis has its Mini-Lease program. Neither offers tremendous savings over regular monthly rates, but it's certainly worth a try.

No idea about the veracity of the website (it was just a Google result), but the information in this article may be helpful. Also, this website at least looks somewhat well-constructed and reputable.

Last edited by jackal; Jul 10, 2010 at 9:12 am Reason: Clarifying ambiguous language
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try this place, http://www.swapalease.com/default.aspx

You can get many vehicles with just a few months left on the lease for reasonable prices.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to all those that responded. The advice was extremely helpful. Some branch are willing to negotiate special rates, while others simply quote me the rates online (or sometimes even less favorable rates). I'm still calling around, but I'm hopeful of getting a great deal.

Swapalease.com and similar sites were great ideas. Unfortunately, at the moment, they don't have any cars available that meet my needs (e.g., < 6 month lease in the Seattle area).

Thanks again.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Try this place, http://www.swapalease.com/default.aspx

You can get many vehicles with just a few months left on the lease for reasonable prices.

I have never used swapalease, but I would be cautious. I once spoke to someone about leasing their car, and essentially the lease would transfer into my name. Thus, I'm not sure what liability I would have at the end of the lease. If someone did some damage to their car, transferred the lease to me, and then the dealer held me responsible for the damage.. that was be a disaster. Just something to look into.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:02 pm

I was in this situation myself at one point. My car died on me and I was in need of a car for work for over 6 months.

I called every rental agency in town and then called different locations and bid everyone against another. I'd find a very low price to begin with, then call the secondary company and give them a price that is lower than the one you just had bid on the phone. For instance, if the lowest was $500.00 per month at Avis, call Enterprise and tell them Avis just bid you $400.00. Don't be afraid to try different branches. I also used my company name in the conversation, telling them that we send them a lot of business and implying that by them earning my business I would send them more. As a side note I did end up resigning a contract years later for my corporation that netted the rental car agency a boat load.

Enterprise, on average, has way more leeway to make up quotes on the spot over the phone.

If you hit a wall, try the internet. There are several websites that have very, very cheap rates for daily use. Print it out, go into that particular company and tell them you want that rate for the month. You never know.

To keep expenses down I insured a motorcycle I owned for liability coverage. That transferred over to rental cars. I then used an AMEX for the monthly charge by the rental car company and opt-ed in to their added comprehensive policy, which was if I remember $19.99 per rental. It had very high/adequate limits, but I never had to file a claim.

Good luck!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:38 am

I have read your query regarding Long Term Car rental, And I Think It would be far better option for you to go for long term car rental program or check the monthly car hire deals. You can save hefty of dollars on long term rentals as compared to short term car hire program.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:45 am

It would be much better for you to go for cheap car rental program as it will let you save huge transport cost and you would have freedom to explore the world like your own car.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:50 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator action:

I'm going to move this to the Car Rental forum. Please follow the discussion over there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.