Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Air Force One Causes Landing Delays following Obama Speech at a Solar Factory

Old May 26, 2010, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

I was on a flight from Boston to SFO today. We would have been able to land early but Air Force One (or possibly Marine One, or a combination) forced us to fly around in circles for about 40 minutes off of Point Reyes. Obama had just spoken at a solar factory. His presence left a slew of jet aircraft to fly in circles while burning jet fuel until they were allowed to land. How green is that?

How often does this happen? I guess anywhere he goes.
Old May 26, 2010, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, it happens everywhere he goes, for security. Are you complaining that the POTUS gets extra security? Or that he's wasting fuel? Perhaps he should fly commercial. Or just drive himself in Prius One.
Old May 26, 2010, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, as an obvious point, it happens anywhere any president goes -- it's not unique to Obama.
Old May 26, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Happens all the time when the president flies.
When Bush came to Seattle I still lived out by the airport and suddenly there were no planes coming in or out of the airport. I immediately turned on the news because like a 1/2 hour went by and NO PLANES. Suddenly I heard that very distinct 747 engine noise and coming in for a landing was Air Force One.
Weird they didn't land at Boeing Field as they usually do, but that day they landed and took off from Sea-Tac and the airport was closed for about an hour each time.

Did get some nice photos of the take off though

The trick is when you are on a plane and the pilot is trying to land before they close of the air space. I was flying back east one time and we literally were touching down only to have to pull straight up and circle for about 30 minutes. It was the president's plane that caused our pull up..... kind of scary that.....
Old May 26, 2010, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes, it happens everywhere he goes, for security. Are you complaining that the POTUS gets extra security? Or that he's wasting fuel? Perhaps he should fly commercial. Or just drive himself in Prius One.
Originally Posted by PTravel
And, as an obvious point, it happens anywhere any president goes -- it's not unique to Obama.
And thank goodness he decided not to get a haircut...
Old May 26, 2010, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Highways are affected as well - I-595, which runs along the north border of the FLL property line, is closed whenever AF1 is landing or taking off. Obama and Bush 43 trips have used FLL, MIA and PBI, depeding on the destination. When Bush's brother was running for re-election as governor in 2002, AF1 was at FLL quite often.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:24 am

Which President closed Heathrow?
Old May 27, 2010, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alanR
Which President closed Heathrow?
GWB.

I drove in a motorcade for Clinton in '99 from EWR to a local school and back. The number of different things that were shut down along the way - airport, highway, rail, etc. - was somewhat astounding.
Old May 27, 2010, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
In 1986 I was taking my third or fourth solo airplane flight from HPN when I was advised by the tower to stay clear of HPN airspace because Air Force One was about to land. I bored small circles in the sky in my little Cessna 172 while waiting for about an hour until President Reagan had cleared the area. Air Force One (that day a Gulfstream IV, if I recall) was sitting on the ramp as I taxied back to Panorama.

Every time AF1 gets anywhere near traffic grinds to a halt.
Old May 27, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
There is a worse case scenario. It happens when a lame duck president travels and two major party candidates seeking the office are doing the same.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:09 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Originally Posted by PTravel
And thank goodness he decided not to get a haircut...
and speaking from experience*, it was not fun to wait

*back then, i was not folically deprived/depraved
Old May 27, 2010, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
GWB.
Should have got revenge on him by losing his luggage. I mean, what sort of moron flies into the world's busiest airport closing it totally and putting themselves at risk of a rocket up the bum from runway protesters in central London
Old May 27, 2010, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

too bad you don't live in dc to see the real precautions. the motorcades are unbelievable. when AF 1 lands at andrews, dca is shut down, and i'm not sure, but iad and bwi are also probably affected.

however, it is pretty standard to run a helicopter fleet from white house to andrews. they fly fairly low and no particular precautions are taken down the standard route of the suitland parkway.

when bush spoke somewhere in baltimore, and came up by motorcade, I 95 was shut down both ways from early morning until after lunch.

there are extra precautions taken when potus presence is known, and known in advance. the presidential schedule is top secret.(not a joke)
Old May 27, 2010, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by usadan
How often does this happen? I guess anywhere he goes.
Happened as often as it is, you just didn't fly on the right time.
Old May 27, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Why on earth do US presidents fly in to civillian airports, shouldn't they use Air Force bases?

I know Australia uses AFBs for dignitaries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.