Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Force One Causes Landing Delays following Obama Speech at a Solar Factory

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
In 1986 I was taking my third or fourth solo airplane flight from HPN when I was advised by the tower to stay clear of HPN airspace because Air Force One was about to land. I bored small circles in the sky in my little Cessna 172 while waiting for about an hour until President Reagan had cleared the area. Air Force One (that day a Gulfstream IV, if I recall) was sitting on the ramp as I taxied back to Panorama.

Every time AF1 gets anywhere near traffic grinds to a halt.
Good thing you had enough gas!
Old May 27, 2010, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Omnivore
Why on earth do US presidents fly in to civillian airports, shouldn't they use Air Force bases?
There's not as many AFBs as there used to be.
Old May 27, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Why on earth do US presidents fly in to civillian airports, shouldn't they use Air Force bases?

I know Australia uses AFBs for dignitaries.
Doesn't matter. When Carter flew into Alameda NAS, Oakland was shut down, and IIRC, SFO was delayed.
Old May 27, 2010, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Because inconveniencing tens of thousands of folks on the roads as a motorcade rolls through is arguably worse for the public. And more expensive. And less secure.
Old May 27, 2010, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by sbm12
Because inconveniencing tens of thousands of folks on the roads as a motorcade rolls through is arguably worse for the public. And more expensive. And less secure.
I think they do weigh the factors carefully when deciding. When WJC and his family came to Atlanta for the opening of the Olympic Games in 1996, the presidential party departed just before the formal end of the Opening Ceremony, and were driven up I-75 to the waiting AF1 at Dobbins AFB. Considering that most Atlantans were either in Olympic Stadium or glued to their television sets, it probably caused less disruption than going the other direction, to Hartsfield.
Old May 27, 2010, 5:32 pm

I know Australia uses AFBs for dignitaries.
They do use them sometimes. There aren't Air Foce bases everywhere in the country, you know, especially ones that can handle a 747. In any case, security would be the paramount issue in determining an airport location. landing at a military installation and then driving a long way to reach the destination increases risk.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:45 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
I wonder why the POTUS uses AF1 to get to NY... why not just take the 'chopper? Do the VH-3 and VH-60 have such a short range?

The US should pay the UN to build a heliport on top of the Secretariat Building or over the East River (so the Secretariat Building can act as a noise barrier) for the POTUS.

Originally Posted by justcorbly
They do use them sometimes. There aren't Air Foce bases everywhere in the country, you know, especially ones that can handle a 747. In any case, security would be the paramount issue in determining an airport location. landing at a military installation and then driving a long way to reach the destination increases risk.
So why not use Marine One?

If an AFB cannot handle a VC-25A (runway less than ~7000ft long?), then why not use another aircraft? After all, a C-172 carrying the POTUS is AF1. If the President flies on a commercial flight, does the flight number change?

Originally Posted by slawecki
however, it is pretty standard to run a helicopter fleet from white house to andrews. they fly fairly low and no particular precautions are taken down the standard route of the suitland parkway.

when bush spoke somewhere in baltimore, and came up by motorcade, I 95 was shut down both ways from early morning until after lunch.
Did the marine pilots have a day off, or was there some other reason to waste hundreds of thousands of man-hours (people stuck in traffic)?

Sure, maintaining the helicopters probably costs more per flight hour than the value of a few thousand citizens' workdays, but there is some value in not sending a metaphorical "&%$@ you" to thousands of people.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are much more important things to worry about than the occasional traffic jam.
Old May 28, 2010, 4:30 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by planemechanic
There are much more important things to worry about than the occasional traffic jam.
Such as...? Few things play a bigger part in the average American's life than traffic; we spend a good part of our waking lives sitting in our cars.

On a large scale the occasional traffic jam is very expensive. Thousands of people are delayed for hours, large quantities of gasoline are burned, etc. These things can add up very quickly. On a smaller scale a traffic jam is a huge pain in my rear end... I don't want to wait an extra hour or two sitting in traffic so the POTUS can have dinner at a fancy restaurant.

The cost of security for a motorcade must also be quite expensive: one needs a lot of manpower to close hundreds of roads, overpasses, railroads, etc.
Old May 28, 2010, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by ralfp
I wonder why the POTUS uses AF1 to get to NY... why not just take the 'chopper? Do the VH-3 and VH-60 have such a short range?
The communications and in-flight protection aren't nearly as good as Air Force 1.
Old May 28, 2010, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the presidential fleet of helicopters is stored in quantico va, about 30 miles south of the capitol. they are under marine guard 24 hrs a day.

they had been stored half the time at the naval air station in anacostia and guarded by navy that half the time, but that was deemed unsafe.

once or twice a week, about half a dozen of these copters come chugging up the east bank of the potomac at about 5 am. they stay under the DCA flight path, so are low and loud. when bush was in office, they came by almost every day.

as to motorcades, dc has at least 2 or 3 a day. when world bank conference was here, the city shut down for a couple days.

as to just picking up any plane and naming it AF1, the real AF1 has a lot of electronics for communication and a lot for defense that are not standard issue.
Old May 28, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis First
Fun fact:
FAA does not run the tower when AF1 or AF2 is in the airspace. The tower staff is replaced by USAF controllers.
Old May 28, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
Just saw AF1 take off from ORD. It looked like they shut down flights for about 10-15 minutes as Marine One came in, then resumed operations for a while, then shut things down again for a few minutes while AF1 took off. Didn't look to be as disruptive as I would have thought.

If memory serves, there aren't any military bases (excepting ANG bases at civilian airports) with sizable runways anywhere near Chicago. I'm pretty sure that the only active AF base left in Illinois is Scott, and that's 250 miles away.
Old May 28, 2010, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are times that they come in via helicopter. If it is just a day-trip it happens. They will also helo in from JFK to avoid shutting down most of the roads in some cases (they usually use JRB as the port for those runs). But it is also important to remember that the President isn't traveling alone or even with just a few advisers ans and Secret Service agents. There is also a significant press contingent that often comes along. For the bigger trips that includes a second airplane, not just the capacity of 28000/29000.
Old May 28, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
If the President flies on a commercial flight, does the flight number change?
If the President flies commercial, the callsign becomes Executive One. Though I doubt the Secret Service will ever let that happen again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.