FlyerTalk Forums (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What do you do on an airplane to keep busy? (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1080732-what-do-you-do-airplane-keep-busy.html)

JumboJ May 9, 10 5:18 pm

Since I travel entirely for recreation, I usually try to read up on the destination to which I'm heading. Guidebooks and such. Also like to catch a movie if there's anything good on (and sometimes even if there isn't). I generally have tons of time to burn, as I can NOT sleep on a plane.. or bus.. car.. train, or any other moving thing. It's a horrible affliction which guarantees that I begin each longhaul trip completely worn out and jetlagged.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin May 9, 10 5:22 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecock (Post 13927180)
On intercontinentals I eat, sleep, watch some IFE, read, drink and sleep some more.

On domestics, which are mid-cons, I read.

same here. My ordering for international flights goes like this: drink, eat/watch, drink, pee, sleep, wake, drink, eat/watch, drink, pee, sleep, wake, pee, land.

On domestics, I actually read/work.

poetnyouknowit May 9, 10 10:24 pm

Sometimes read or do sudoku puzzles, but usually I'm asleep by the time we start taxi and stay that way until landing. Usually this is because I try to take the first morning flight, but because of essentially being nocturnal, I stay awake all night to make sure I don't sleep through my alarm clock. (Which I still do when trying to wake up to start work at three in the afternoon.)

openflync May 10, 10 12:26 am

I bought the 160GB I-Pod classic last Christmas for myself and I am truly suprised just how much faster time goes by both on a flight as well as at the airport.

Much easier than booting up a laptop when you want to watch something and it fits in my pocket.

I've already got about 100 GB of tv shows and movies cramed into it.

Swanhunter May 10, 10 9:23 am

Night flights - sleep. On a day flight work, read a bit and sleep. On regional hops like HKG-SIN or IST-LHR, read, work and maybe eat if the flight is at meal time, though generally I don't eat on 60%+ of my total flights.

Almost never bother with IFE or DVD's, a good book and the days papers are far preferable.

j_the_p May 10, 10 12:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by N1Hawk (Post 13884202)
I've been talking with a friend. He says to go out to Future Shop and buy myself an 8GB I-Pod Touch. If the flight is short will then run a movie or use the TV system in the airplane? I'm flying from Cleveland to Houston and then Houston to Calgary in Aug with my girlfriend. My question is this, What do you do on the aircraft to keep yourself busy.

Book, seat-back TV, sleep.

Is your IAH - YYC on CO or AC metal? If on AC then you'll have a personal TV (not sure about CO).

N1Hawk May 10, 10 6:00 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by j_the_p (Post 13932054)
Book, seat-back TV, sleep.

Is your IAH - YYC on CO or AC metal? If on AC then you'll have a personal TV (not sure about CO).

I know my IAH - YYC is CO. I'm on CO the Whole way to Calgary and on the way back i'm flying United from YYC to ORD to CLE

missydarlin May 10, 10 6:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by N1Hawk (Post 13884202)
I've been talking with a friend. He says to go out to Future Shop and buy myself an 8GB I-Pod Touch. If the flight is short will then run a movie or use the TV system in the airplane? I'm flying from Cleveland to Houston and then Houston to Calgary in Aug with my girlfriend. My question is this, What do you do on the aircraft to keep yourself busy.

I very much enjoy my 16GB Touch for plane entertainment.

The screen is just fine for a movie or TV show if need be, but I also use it for music, podcasts, and games. Bookworm, Scrabble, Slug Wars, and Flight Control can keep me entertained for hours.

Oh, and Peggle. That game is like crack to me.

Stefferdoos May 11, 10 7:17 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffa (Post 13889740)
The word sleep comes in my mind... :D

Same here. I'm typically out before we've even started to head down the runway. I always have my travel blankie and pillow with me.

When I am awake, I have my Sony Pocket Reader loaded with about 50 books. Or if I'm lucky enough to be in a seat with AVOD I'll catch up on movies that I haven't seen yet.

But usually, I sleep. Economy seats don't matter, I can even sleep on nasty CRJs.

newbiztraveler May 11, 10 7:36 am

On shorter flights, I'll just fire up the iPod and stare out of the window. Unfortunately, my current commute is around 9hrs a week flying time.

If I'm on UA, I'll listen to ch 9 on takeoff and whenever I get freaked out by turbulence (often). I try to watch their IFE, but the movies are usually terrible. I can't sleep on planes, so most of the time, I just break out some DVDs of TV shows. I've never felt like more of a couch potato.

HomerJ May 11, 10 9:44 am

IFE...

...as about 95% of AC's metal is XM'd I just watch movies/tv