Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to purchase 5 RT tickets (US)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Best way to purchase 5 RT tickets (US)

i am humbled by the experience i see on this site (my million miles dont amount to much here!) and have a simple question: i need to purchase 5 RT tickets from SAN - MIA starting travel on 1/2/11. This is an expensive time to travel! Is there a more economical route to purchase when i am buying 5 at the same time? The online sites dont seem to reward purchases in bulk.
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Welcome to FT. Five tickets is a family, it is by no means a bulk purchase. Have you tried sites like Kayak.com? They might give you options you haven't thought of. Are you willing to take several connections? If so, indicate that when you use search engines. If you're looking for non-stop flights, your options will be limited.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Most group discounts start at ten tickets, usually on the same flights for low numbers of people.

Even with that you are looking at 5% or maybe if you are real lucky a bit more.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

well i am not looking to make 5 new friends anytime soon that want to go to miami....so i will try kayak and see what they can offer!

any other advise is certainly welcome. This site is very cool.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JUSTWANNAFLY
i am humbled by the experience i see on this site (my million miles dont amount to much here!) and have a simple question: i need to purchase 5 RT tickets from SAN - MIA starting travel on 1/2/11. This is an expensive time to travel! Is there a more economical route to purchase when i am buying 5 at the same time? The online sites dont seem to reward purchases in bulk.
Thanks in advance.
hey, welcome to ft. and yes a million miles ain't much here. i have a mil or two, wife and i have lost a million or so, and still get no respect whatsoever.

when i did trade shows, i bought rooms for half a dozen employees at a time. starwood would not even give me points and stays for the full purchase.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Buy soon. Tickets for the day after New Year's Day aren't going to get any cheaper. 2 January is a Sunday so the whole world will be flying home from the holidays that day. You will find vast one-stop / one-connection options SAN-MIA on all major carriers. Current best deal for a RT commencing 2 January (and returning 10 January, random choice) is $486 all in... a US Airways redeye outbound via PHL, Delta home via JFK. Horrible itinerary. Cheapest non-redeye outbound, same dates, is $565 on DL. Hideous. Sorry about this. If you can delay your outbound by a day or two you'll do much better, but it sounds like you're catching a cruise or something. Good luck.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Instead of trying to buy all 5 at the same time, try 1, then 2, then 3. Sometimes if an airline only has 2 or 3 tickets left in a cheaper fare bucket they may just book all 5 into the higher fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.