Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is it ok to take a nap in an airport lounge?

Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select

I have a long layover at LAX tomorrow and I wanted to know if it was acceptable to lie down on a couch in the RCC and take a nap.

I have seen people do this before but I wanted to make sure it was an acceptable thing to do?

Thanks
Ben
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
It is acceptable, but be aware that the RCC now charges TWO nap chits for couch naps. One nap chit is only good for a snooze in an uncomfortable chair.

Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:28 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Yes, please do.

In what pocket do you keep your wallet?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Benny8444

I have a long layover at LAX tomorrow and I wanted to know if it was acceptable to lie down on a couch in the RCC and take a nap.

I have seen people do this before but I wanted to make sure it was an acceptable thing to do?

Thanks
Ben
The chair or couch space at LAX is not large. Therefore, you might get some objections if you were to take up an entire couch for sleeping. Sometimes the RCC gets quite crowded.

On my last overnight flight that connected in ORD, a fellow passenger decided to rest during his layover time. Unfortunately, he slept through and missed his connection.

A cell phone alarm ought to do the job of waking most people (except for my fellow passenger).
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by drummingcraig
It is acceptable, but be aware that the RCC now charges TWO nap chits for couch naps. One nap chit is only good for a snooze in an uncomfortable chair.

?????
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
?????
He was joking about the nap chits
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Benny8444
He was joking about the nap chits
R U sure .........lol....
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
?????
Sorry. It was a tongue-in-cheek reference to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ge-drinks.html
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Nap chits come with new Chase Visa card

?????
There's a new Chase CC coming out that offers free nap chits (card runs $325/year and you get a stack of 25). Probably a good idea if you want to use the couch. They're self-adhesive and you're supposed to attach one to your shoe (they don't work on suede) and the other to your watch. We're trying to convince them to change to those bands you get when you're admitted to the hospital.

The coolest thing about the wrist bands would be having a space that you could write your meal request on, and a check box for whether you wanted to be woken up or not.

OK, more seriously, there are two reasons I don't take a nap in the RCC. First, my missile case (laptop bag with all the secret codes that run my world). Even with it chained to my wrist, there are guys like Jack Bauer around who might just cut off my hand using a plastic knife to get at it. Second, I might start to snore and I'm somewhat self-conscious about that.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Feb 26, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Agree with the post that suggests that taking up more than one person's work of space is best to be avoided; I would say that means not streching out for the entire length of the couch.

Napping in the chair seems completely acceptable to me. Too bad there are none of the ratty, overstuffed leather chairs that are found in the ORD RCC - they're actually pretty good for napping.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:54 pm

Honestly? I wouldn't lie down. You may be in a private club, but there are other people around you. If you sit down and fall asleep that's one thing, but lying on a couch and snoring away in a public room is ill mannered. As is putting your feet on the furniture. You're sharing the space with others, don't take up more than your fair share of space.

That said, you could consider renting a conference room. I've seen families do that, and it seems to work out well.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I was thinking that one of the seats behind the coffee area might be a good choice. Less likely for someone to trip over your extended legs during your nap.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
There is one or two of those "Cleopatra" chairs (I don't know what they're really called) in the Westin Renewal room. Sleep away.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:00 pm

Please relax and have a nap. USA needs to loosen up about this sort of thing. Long haul fliers are napping happily everywhere else without people taking umbrage.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
There is one or two of those "Cleopatra" chairs (I don't know what they're really called) in the Westin Renewal room. Sleep away.
+1. I have taken naps in both the LAX and SFO renewal rooms.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.