Wiki Posts
Search

FAs using overhead bin space

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, CO Gold
FAs using overhead bin space

I was on a CO flight a few nights ago and noticed something that I don't recall seeing before. On several occasions during the flight one of the flight attendants retrieved items from what was obviously her bag in an overhead bin over row 10 in a 737. The flight was full, and several passengers had to check their carry on bags before we departed.

I don't recall ever noticing a FA taking bin space for a personal bag in that part of the aircraft. Don't they have cabin baggage space that is dedicated for the crew so they don't have to use bin space that is available to passengers?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA, CO, EVA, UA, Hyatt PLT, SPG
Most do have dedicated space, I'd imagine, but sometimes FAs will/do use what would otherwise be seen as space normally reserved for passengers. One example is on the United 747 front credenza in F where FAs can utilize that space as a storage sapce for them, although passengers can use that space as well.

One such discussion on this topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-use-only.html
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Back in the dark ages when I flew for PanAm, we had no dedicated space. We shared the same bins the pax used.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
On most flights the stewardesses (or hostesses or FA's or whatever your region prefers) use a bit of the overhead space. But maybe that is less so these days since there are less staff onboard most flights.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
On most flights the stewardesses (or hostesses or FA's or whatever your region prefers) use a bit of the overhead space. But maybe that is less so these days since there are less staff onboard most flights.
Oh my goodness, I haven't seen you around here in years Stimpy. It's good to see a good old familiar name from years past.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I just flew on MH recently and the flight crew uses overhead bins near the back of the plane. Not just a domestic U.S. thing imo
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I not sure if this happened but I have seen where a FA boarded as a passenger usually dead-heading. They put their bag in the overhead. Then the FA volunteered to help work the trip, especially if the aircraft is full. Sometimes also a FA will be late if on a delayed flight so in this case someone volunteering to work is really helping out.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Then the FA volunteered to help work the trip, especially if the aircraft is full.
Wow. I fly 100 times a year and have NEVER seen that. If the unions found out they would be hopping mad.

And Svenska, I'm "here" almost every day!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:54 am

Not all aircraft have dedicated crew space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.