Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

To fly economy on an Emirates 777-300er or a Qantas A380?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:03 am
Original Poster

That is my dilemma. I'm travelling to London in May and i'm wondering what would you choose? Emirates has a better seat pitch (34 inches compared to 31inches), but i've heard Qantas a380 economy is very good and the plane is very quiet.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
AFAI Emirates is one of the very few airlines that have decided to sqeeze in an additional seat per row in Y on their 777 (3-4-3 config instead of 3-3-3 or 2-5-2), therefore seat width is even more limited than it usually is.

QF is supposed to have a decent product in Y, so I´d take them.
Anyhow neither EK nor QF will be a lot of fun in Y on a long flight.

Originally Posted by JakeMcGrath
That is my dilemma. I'm travelling to London in May and i'm wondering what would you choose? Emirates has a better seat pitch (34 inches compared to 31inches), but i've heard Qantas a380 economy is very good and the plane is very quiet.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:13 am

Depends where you collect your miles. For me I would choose Emirates because OW miles are next to useless for me.

Also, depending on where the flight stops, I would also see which would allow me to have a stop over (even if only 17-20 hours or so).
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:21 am

Programs: Skywards, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Anyhow neither EK nor QF will be a lot of fun in Y on a long flight.
I fly MEL to MAN or BHX at least once a year, and can heartily agree.

The only thing that has made this journey bearable (though I could still not call it pleasant) is flying business class. Emirates has been offering some very reasonably priced "mixed class" airfares (business class on the longest leg Australia to Dubai, Economy Dubai to Europe) and I have taken advantage for my flights home in March, having been able to upgrade several sectors last year and experiencing the difference.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Ok, Well then could i book an economy seat and hope to upgrade to premium economy at the airport for at a discount rather than paying now for a full premium economy airfare? Is that how it works sometimes?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:46 am

Programs: Credit Cards
save for mechanical delays all of my Qantas A380 experiences have been excellent

if you like the window seat you get extra upper body room because of the curvature of the plane, that was great for me!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I have also had nothing be good experiences with Qantas.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:44 pm

I had a 10-hour flight on an Emirates 777 and have vowed to never repeat the experience. The seats are only 17 inches wide and jabbed painfully against my (female and slightly wide) thighs. While you can raise the armrests, they don't go all the way back, so your shoulders are wedged against their metal sides. It was by far the most uncomfortable flight I had on a trip that included several long flights, including two US-Australia flights.

I'm fine, relatively speaking, on an A380.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.