Wiki Posts
Search

What do you put on your luggage tags?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
What do you put on your luggage tags?

I am sure there is a thread on this somewhere, but I have not yet found it. What information do you put on your luggage tags?

I read about all sorts of theories on this. One theory is that you just put your name, and a cell number, so that people dont know your home address. I guess thieves must have some kind of ring where they sit in an airport and look at luggage tags, and then call whichever thief lives in that other city to go ransack the house. Not that, mind you, there isn't usually someone home even when I am away.

for that matter though, anyone can look up an address. once they know your name, and a general idea of where you live, it's pretty easy. With me if you can get the part of the state I am in I am the only one to be found with my first and last name anyway.

And what do you put for a phone number? Again there is the argument they can look up your address, but they can do that without the phone number, too. And giving them the cdell numbe ronly gives them additional info and then starts getting my cell number out there for anyone to call.

When did life get so complicated that just figuring out what to put on a luggage tag is such a consideration?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Name, address, cell phone numbers.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Name, cell number and "HOME AIRPORT: OKC (Oklahoma City)".....with the hope that a lost bag will get routed home to OKC where it can easily be picked-up. Same info on big sheet of paper attached to inside of lid of luggage in case tag is torn off.

Don't feel comfortable having full home address so easily available on luggage since nobody's home!
Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum Select, DL Skymiles/AMEX Plat
Name, e-mail address and cell phone number. I'm not comfortable with disclosing my street address. In the event an airline loses my lugguage, they can contact me directly and I can furnish the information they need.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:12 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Name, company address, company phone. Would never put my home address, don't want all those "honest" people at my local airport knowing that I am away, very easy for them to copy down my home address and then make an unexpectant visit. This holds true for workers at airports where ever I go.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 8:25 pm

Usually just my name and cellphone num. not a huge chance my bag will get lost since I don't usually connect and usually fly WN - and if it does, most likely the airline barcode tag is on their which will connect them with my info....

Cellphone number is pretty hard to match to home addr.

I usually put this info on a piece of paper in the bag as well.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:48 am

Name and email only-that's enough for them to find me.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
My business card, has my office address and phone.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by tony732
Name, e-mail address and cell phone number. I'm not comfortable with disclosing my street address. In the event an airline loses my lugguage, they can contact me directly and I can furnish the information they need.
+1
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:41 am

Name, mobile (cell) phone number, and usually the address of my destination.

Specifically, I don't usually put my home address on the bag, particularly on the outward journey unless there is going to be someone else at home while I'm away.

On the homeward journey I sometimes do put my home address, but sometimes I put my office address.

I sometimes put the flight number and date, too.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by djk7
+1
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by djk7
+2
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Making up some new tags.

Debating whether to put my work address and phone, or my AA/DL number. I suppose both are risks, but what is the lesser risk?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: *G
business card in the interior of bag.

no tags of any kind on the outside.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Just my office phone number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.