Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How dangerous are seizures in flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:46 am

Programs: Skywards, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by B747-437B
One reason that airlines are reluctant to divert in the case of seizures lately is that there has been been a spurt in terms of passengers "faking" seizures while overflying certain countries and then claiming asylum upon landing.

It is a very tiny minority of cases that are actually fakes but enough that the immigration authorities have warned airlines to beware of these.
What's your source for this information?

Why would a person not just take a flight to the country in which they wish to claim asylum instead of going through fake medical symptom shenanigans?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by closetasfan
I traveled last week, a passenger in the row in front of me suffered multiple seizures in flight. After the third one they finally called for a medical professional on board. The flight did not divert, though it was held at the gate to get a medical professional. I did not realize they were seizures until the medical professional thing happened

Question is, how dangerous is this? If its very dangerous, I'm sure I'll let the flight attendants know in the future when I first see a sign of it, or is it controllable and ok to proceed to destination? I guess we had about two hours after the last incident until destination.
It's probably safer than on the ground if the victim is buckled into their seat. Altitude will have no effect.

However, complications from seizures cannot be adquately dealt with on board..concussion, hypoxia, lacerations etc. And post-seizure care cannot be so great either. Headache, disorientation. It's probably better to divert.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
It's best for us not to speculate as the the etiology of what the OP witnessed on the flight. There are a variety of causes of conditions that look like seizures to the untrained, and they can be benign (as many posters have already indicated) to critical. Clearly, epilepsy and other chronic conditions represent one of the diagnoses, but there are many others. A delay in treatment of the underlying conditions could prove to have truly negative outcomes.

Therefore, there is not a simple, single answer. I agree with those who say that patients with a history of seizure disorders who suffer from an exacerbation of their chronic condition, may not require immediate evaluation and emergent treatment. Others, however, without a history of similar episodes, or those having their initial event, should be evaluated quickly.

It is always best to have the patient examined by a trained physician...
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

The important thing is to find out if a seizure is "normal" for that person, of if this is their first time. Hope this helps someone-
Second that. Patients with epilepsy have seizures with varying frequency -- some have dozens a day, some get them every few years or never when on meds. A new onset seizure is a big time emergency because it's usually symptomatic of a new structural chage in brain tissue -- there arent really many good ones. There are some less onerous ways to get your first seizure, and something like 5% of the population will have one sometime in their life. Still, unless you know its something the person does, the plane ought to get to ground. Also, if the person stays unresponsive, thats a bad thing whether there's ahistory of sz or not. I'm not talking sleepy or goofy or whatever -- thats "post-ictal" and common. I'm not an epileptologist, but I'm close....
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
The answer to the OP's question depends on which person on the plane has the seizure. Generic pax, things should be okay; pilot, notsomuch.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Jazzop
The answer to the OP's question depends on which person on the plane has the seizure. Generic pax, things should be okay; pilot, notsomuch.
A mildly flippant reply regarding a serious subject (which doesn't offend me, don't worry), but nevertheless deserves a reply.

My son had a seizure while descending on a crowded road on his bicycle at around 35mph. Because he recognized the warning signs (an "aura" which precedes the actual seizure by a number of seconds; this will vary from person to person), he was able to yell at me (I was in front of him) and he slowed down to a near-stop before falling over on the shoulder. Point being, just because somebody might have a seizure once in a while, it doesn't have to be something that limits everything in life. Obviously, for driving and flying, the risks to others associated with having a seizure are too great to allow. But please consider that people with epilepsy can, and usually do, lead very normal lives. Chances are you know some, and aren't aware of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.