Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold / Million miler
In the news today - Fewer businesses let employees fly business class

Nothing in here is surprising:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,7803430.story
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
good thing this doesn't apply to my firm....all partners fly either business or first....
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Just one data point, but last month I sat next to a someone who seemed to be a senior executive at IBM. He told me that the company has cut out business class fares for just about everyone. He was in J only because he'd been able to upgrade himself from Y.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Just one data point, but last month I sat next to a someone who seemed to be a senior executive at IBM. He told me that the company has cut out business class fares for just about everyone. He was in J only because he'd been able to upgrade himself from Y.
How long of a flight was this? Where I work (and previous employer, both large multinationals), flight over X hours in duration are business.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by saad
good thing this doesn't apply to my firm....all partners fly either business or first....
What kind of firm is this?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by UA Fan
What kind of firm is this?
Definitely a top law firm...Sullivan and Cromwell maybe?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by learningtime
How long of a flight was this? Where I work (and previous employer, both large multinationals), flight over X hours in duration are business.
The flight itself was ORD-SFO (on the old C 747 they've brought back into service), but he said the restriction applies to all international flights as well.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
The flight itself was ORD-SFO, but he said the restriction applies to all international flights as well.
Ouch. Remind myself not to apply for a job at IBM. Imagine having to travel from US-Australia/Asia for business and having to do it coach
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by johndeere19
I would expect most top US law firms and all magic circle firms to have similar policies, especially for long haul.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Caterpillar Inc. used to allow employees to fly first class if any flight was in the air more than 8 hours.

Now all first class is on your own dime. I don't know if this applies to the top top top execs.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
Ouch. Remind myself not to apply for a job at IBM. Imagine having to travel from US-Australia/Asia for business and having to do it coach
Don't apply at GE either if that is limiting factor. Only only full VP and above on J, nobody but officers in F. Everyone below VP, cattle class. The though process is that they will get you there a day earlier to recover, and let you have the next day off on return.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Talking

My firm is stuck at 4-hours in single direction (to upgrade both)... no sign of changes.
Makes those YYZ-YVR flights easier.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
As I recall, my company doesn't allow anyone below VP level to purchase Business regardless of the duration of the flight.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by johndeere19
OP is apparently based in India so it would not be an international law firm (they aren't allowed to operate in India).

I work at a bank in Japan and all international business travel is in C/J, except for "professional development" travel which is supposed to be in Y, and division heads who get to fly F. (Domestically, it's the same breakdown between Y and C/J/F as available.) However, the people who go on business trips here are usually on underwriting or corporate strategy teams and don't have a lot of time to waste recuperating after a long flight, so it makes economic sense. If you are flying less busy people around for whatever reason, it probably makes more sense to let them rough it in Y and take some time off with pay afterward.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, he wasn't too happy about it either. IIRC, he might also have said something about his corporate travel dept. doing all of the reservations, which even complicates his trying to score upgrades.

Originally Posted by edwards183
Don't apply at GE either if that is limiting factor. Only only full VP and above on J, nobody but officers in F. Everyone below VP, cattle class. The though process is that they will get you there a day earlier to recover, and let you have the next day off on return.
I don't recall for sure, but I believe my IBM seatmate might have said something similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.