Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When did Steward/Stewardess become non-PC and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

title says all...
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:59 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For reference, here is a cite to an older, since-closed thread on the subject. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by seaskybound
title says all...
and when a Flight Attendant goes to a restaurant, do they say "waiter/waitress" or do they insist on calling the server a "meal attendant"?
do they call the cashier a "register attendant"

same standard should apply.

delicate geniuses!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:36 pm
In memoriam

The presumption behind this thread is incorrect. There is nothing PC about the stewardess/flight attendant matter--in fact, it long pre-dates the pseudo PC "controversy."

I recall numerous TWA and Pan Am FAs in the 60s explaining to me that they were not "stewardesses" because their main function on the flights was to ensure passenger safety, per FAA regs, and not to serve things, no matter what the passengers thought based on airline advertising.

The same is true today.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by doctall41
and when a Flight Attendant goes to a restaurant, do they say "waiter/waitress" or do they insist on calling the server a "meal attendant"? ...
A lot of people refer to waiters and waitresses as "servers." At restaurants where they introduce themselves to diners they often say "I'll be your server tonight," even though it's obvious which gender the person presents as and therefore which gender-specific term would suit if they wanted to use it.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Times change

It's interesting also, because I never remember the term, "pursor" as a kid. Maybe I was not paying attention, but seems like a fairly new term, no?

Also, Steward/Stewardess is gone just like secretary is gone. I have AA's, not secretarys. Why is secretary not p.c.?

People no longer say hot rod; they say sports car.

Most people say soft drink, not soda pop (although I know in some parts of the country they still do).

people used to call people square; now they say dork or nerd

I think it's just how times change.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:12 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Also, Steward/Stewardess is gone just like secretary is gone. I have AA's, not secretarys. Why is secretary not p.c.?
Hilary Clinton does not seem to mind being the Secretary of State of the United States.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:30 pm

The terms have changed to make them non gender specific.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by skylady
The terms have changed to make them non gender specific.
Hence, which is why we now have (in the US) Administrative Assistants day.

I would say that Administrative Assistants day is named for me, however, come 1 Oct when Mrs. Italy retires I will no longer be her administrative assistant.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
It's interesting also, because I never remember the term, "pursor" as a kid. Maybe I was not paying attention, but seems like a fairly new term, no? ...
I remember the purser (not "pursor;" I don't think airlines spell it with an "o," either) from several Atlantic sea crossings as a child in the 1950s. He (never, at the time and as far as I recall, "she") was in charge of all aspects of cabin service and passenger care in general. The term originated with the person's responsibility for the "purse;" that is, the money stuff. Cruise ships have pursers today, with much the same responsibility: just about everything on board except engines, deck and navigation.

I don't know how old this poster is, but few FTers were kids much before I was!

Maybe someone else can enlighten us as to when airlines picked up the term. I suspect it was also quite a while ago, but I can't confirm that.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by tjl
Hilary Clinton does not seem to mind being the Secretary of State of the United States.
I have a feeling that it's not the job she really wanted :-))
Old Aug 30, 2010, 2:20 am
In memoriam

It's interesting also, because I never remember the term, "pursor" as a kid. Maybe I was not paying attention, but seems like a fairly new term, no?
No.

Purser was, AFAIK, first used in airlines biz by Pan Am on their "Clipper" trans-ocean service in the 1930s following Cunard et al ocean liner lingo.

The origins of the word go back, at least, to the 15th Century. http://east.merriamwebster.com/dictionary/purser
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thread cited above was a fun thread, which was even singled out in the Talkmail for that period of time. Unfortunately it went south, for a host of reasons, including many who could not imagine stewardess to be a polite term (of course not noting that many airline terms came from sea ships, an steward or stewardess had real responsibilities to see after cabins and passengers, an attendant cleaned the toilet). If this thread lives on I am sure that certain PC police posters will be all over it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.