Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things that annoy me when I travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by honeytoes
What I find annoying is that it seems that many hotels let kids stay/eat for free. What is up with that?
Ummm... the hotels are trying to generate business?

I am a single female. WTH do I get?
What's more important is what you don't get. No diapers to change, no fevers to tend in the middle of the night, etc... Right?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:37 pm

People who make noise with their mouth/tongue, especially after eating.
IFE box under the seat in front of you.
People (behind you) who catch your seat while getting up from theirs
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:53 pm

This thread is a joke, right?

I mean, a lot of the stuff said is contradicted (or matched, depending on your view) by another point in the same thread, sometimes the same post! Makes us all look selfish...

But anyway. I'm usually not annoyed by many things, but my personal annoyances are:
  • Lounge blaggers. If you wish to try your luck, do it once and once only. If you make it in, count yourself lucky; if you don't, p*ss off!!!...and don't forget to take your attitude with you.
  • Boarding procedures. Just follow them, dammit. Special assistance and families with children first, then board by rows if necessary. Elites always at their convenience. Not difficult, isn't it?
  • People who try and take more baggage than they're entitled to without paying the excess charges. I don't care if you're 500 grams over the weight limit - if they say 'no', then pay up or shut up.
  • People who purchase tickets then argue black and blue when they would have realised that they are in the wrong if they had bothered to read the Conditions of Carriage and/or Fare Rules.
  • People who keep harping on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about not getting a bl**dy upgrade even if the class above them has physically empty seats! I don't bl**dy care if you have the points to pay for an upgrade - either pay for the class in the first place, get a confirmed upgrade to start with or pay the fare difference - or else if you don't get one, you don't get one, so sit down and shut up! There are multiple valid reasons why carriers should be judicious with upgrades.
  • People who insist on giving FAs a hard time and stopping them from servicing other pax
  • US security procedures. 'Nuff said.
  • Fuel fines. Again, 'nuff said.
  • People who look at me in disgust because they think I don't belong in First class/Business class/front row Economy/an airline lounge/Elite check-in line because I'm too young (and for some reason - as a consequence - socially inept and inferior). Some of them go so far as to express their opinions quite vocally. Luckily, I've managed to quip myself out of all such incidents.
  • The curfew at SYD - 'nuff said!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
1. Lack of power outlets at major US airports
2. Food Quality in C/F on domestic flights
3. people talking on their cell phones loudly in a lounge
4. Kids who scream on overnight flights
5. Todlers who do not behave in the airline lounges
6. OffShore call centers
7. pax who try to board with the wrong boarding group
8. people who dont know anything about clearing security and cause a back up in the line
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
This doesn't happen just while traveling, but it does seem to happen all of the time at MSP:

People who go up escalators and come to a dead stop at the top to decide where to go, endangering everyone behind them and themselves when we stampede over them.

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: LH, AY, KL, Hilton, Sixt, Hertz
All are right

After reading up to here, I have to say, all are correct. The guy who wanted to recline his back rest and the guy sitting behind.

We, who travel a lot, we should be people who respect others views even more, as through traveling we have seen more, therefore we should be better persons and tolerant.

I'm usually the guy charging my phone from power outlet, but when I see you, I will ask, I'm done, do you need to charges yours?

Smile next time and your neighbor might have a better day too.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mseagull
Smile next time and your neighbor might have a better day too.

Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:52 pm

What I find annoying is that it seems that many hotels let kids stay/eat for free. What is up with that? I am a single female. WTH do I get?
If you are reasonably attractive, I suspect that a phone call to the front desk asking for some attention would not go ignored.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Carry-on rules that seem to change almost daily now (and we are due for some new ones soon, it seems); unpredictable enforcement of those rules and TSA's refusal to provide good current information on its webpage; inability to know what to pack anymore!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:44 pm

Location: FSD - Now 4 airlines out of city, AA recently added flights to DFW and ORD
Programs: United MP 1K, NW/Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Travel annoyances

Two things that annoy me:

1. People who continue talking on their cell phones after the doors have closed. One such woman sanguinely strolled onto the plane after holding it up for many minutes. She was talking on her phone as she entered, the doors were then shut, and she continued talking. The FA stood next to her and nicely asked her to hang up. She just looked at her and continued talking. About 30 seconds later the FA asked again, a bit firmly, again no results. A moment later the FA said if she didn't hang up now she would confiscate the phone. She finished her call, but took her time doing so. This woman had an air of entitlement about her. She may have been "somebody", but nobody I knew. I've also observed businessmen continue to talk on their phones (long after the door is closed) while the FA is doing the safety presentation, which leads me to ...
2. People who have conversations during the FA presentation. If it can be done softly and discreetly, okay. But some folks carry on conversations with each other in voices loud enough to be heard for a few rows, while the FA is standing there doing the safety presentation. Though most of us have heard it enough times that we could stand up and do it ourselves (better, in some cases), it's still disrespectful to talk to one another as if the FA isn't even talking to us.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: Alaska; United, Flying Blue, Air Canada, American
Reading Flyer Talk messages that read:

(In the lingo of the elite):

Took off ASAP in the LLB frm runway D W. from LAX to PAX. BFD@!

...!

I don't have all day to consult a glossary. Stop being a lazy butt. Spell it out for us that don't have every airport and airline code memorized. Or send me my magic decoder ring. Please!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by stoney07
I don't have all day to consult a glossary. Stop being a lazy butt. Spell it out for us that don't have every airport and airline code memorized. Or send me my magic decoder ring. Please!
This is a joke, right?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by stoney07
Or maybe stop being a lazy but and learn the lingo.

Seriously. Can I assume you read this board to gain knowledge? If so, it seems a bit presumptuous to reject the wisdom of those who are gracious enough to share that wisdom, unless they spoon feed it you. If others can take the time and effort to post their tips and hints, seems like you can find the time to "decode" the stuff you don't understand. Or is your time somehow more valuable than everyone else's?

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Jan 16, 2010 at 8:55 pm Reason: Seriously pitiful spelling errors
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha
Man oh man, have I been waiting a long time for a thread like this. Here are the air travel things that drive me crazy:

• The jerks who ....
  • The bozos who .....
  • The horrible little brats who...
  • The ding-a-lings who ....
  • The weirdos who ....
  • The clowns who .....
  • The fools who .......
  • The lame-brains who ......
  • The yahoos who ......
No one should live to be so old that he/she can't find normal people in the course of a day .
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by RameshK
No one should live to be so old that he/she can't find normal people in the course of a day .
My great-grandma reached that point. She used to say, "The whole world is tetched but thee and me, and sometimes I worry about thee."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.