Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

good movies about airlines/airport ops/ air travel?

Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K

Other than Airplane!, of course. 'Pushing Tin'-style geekiness appreciated.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:29 pm

One of the best movies about aviation is Only Angels Have Wings, even though it takes place in a bar.

Though it's dated, Howard Hughes's 1930 Hell's Angels has some amazing aviation photography, all of it real, not special effects.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:46 pm

zero hour!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:17 pm

Good question... I'm wondering the same thing, especially about newer movies/documentaries.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

I can't get enough of the opening and closing scenes of Love Actually. The movie isn't really about travel per se but those scenes get me every time.

Actually, the latter is more or less a documentary for those bits as they just used a bunch of footage from LHR.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
There'sa great scene in the first "Airport" (about 1970, based on the Arthur Hailey (sp) novel) - a very snobbish, impossible-to-please passenger in F demonstrates her disgust with airline food by extinguishing her cigarette on top of the fliet mignon that the stewardess ('60s, remember) has just served her

Maybe the thing that stretches credulity the most is trying to envision the drink-enjoying Dean Martin as an airline captain!

All of the disaster-movie melodrama is spun around the background story of a Midwestern airport (certainly meant to be O'Hare) struggling to stay open in the wake of one of the worst snowstorms ever.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
While not about travel per se, Catch Me If You Can provides a highly romanticized view of air travel, as does, to a lesser extent, The Aviator.
KDS777 likes this.

Last edited by choster; Dec 21, 2009 at 7:49 pm
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:37 pm

View From the Top. Learn about the pecking order for FAs... "international, first class, Paris"
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
While on NH in January, I watched a recent Japanese film called "Happy Flight," about an NH flight gone horribly wrong and the plucky crew saving the day. Apparently, the airline was more than happy to work with the filmmakers. Some NH people are even extras.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM UA AA Hilton Starwood
Brand new out "Up In The Air"

Not the plot, but plenty of flying and talk of earning miles. All on AA.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
"Boeing Boeing", there are several movie versions based on a British play. I've only seen the American version starring Tony Curtis and Jerry Lewis. The movie itself is a slightly above average take on the 60's sex comedy, although Lewis is good, breaking away from his usual hapless klutz roles.

Broadly speaking, the Curtis character, an American journalist based in Paris, is engaged to three "stewardesses", one is working for LH, one for AF and one for British United. Basically he has their schedules worked out to the minute, so that none of them ever cross paths with each other in his Paris apartment.

What is particularly quaint about the movie is the notion that there was once a time when airlines actually followed a schedule. Can you imagine anyone today basing anything on an airline schedule?
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Airport (stowaway passenger plus another passenger with a bomb)
Airport '75 (small plane collides with 747)
Airport '77 (private 747 crashes in Bermuda Triangle...bare-chested Navy saves the day!)
Airport '79 - The Concorde (sabotage!)
Red Eye (Jodie Foster loses her daughter on a plane)
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:54 pm

The High and the Mighty, about a plane in trouble on the flight from Honolulu to the US. For extra points, watch it on your laptop while flying that route.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by aresef
While on NH in January, I watched a recent Japanese film called "Happy Flight," about an NH flight gone horribly wrong and the plucky crew saving the day. Apparently, the airline was more than happy to work with the filmmakers. Some NH people are even extras.
I found a trailer of this on YouTube and it looks great. Wish I could see the movie here in the States... Or I wish I could fly on NH just to see, though that would be one expensive movie ticket
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:39 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
For docu-drama: Airline and Airline

You have to get them on DVD but amazon.com has both the UK and US version, both are hilarious at points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.