The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"SQ 777 SFO-ICN: 0 in F, 7 in C, 86 in Y", Rambuster, That matches a dozen flights I took to Asia during SARS, as it has other big world events, not too special.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I can't remember the last time I flew AA with a wide open flight. Back in 2001 about a week after 9/11 I flew from LGA to TPA connecting in BWI (LGA was like a tomb that day). The USAir flight was a Metrojet (I think that what it was called back then, a single Y class) and there were three other people onboard that 737. We got multiple servings of the little box snacks that were handed out.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Had the 747's entire first class cabin of suites to myself JNB-HKG earlier this year! What a fantastic treat. 3 crew members treated me like a king. "No thank you, I've had enough caviar!"

Don't know how full Y and J were...didn't care!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:07 pm

Operational Flight...

Once, way in the pre-September 11 days, I arrived at Midway via SWA after a long delay inbound and missed my connection. The gate attendants told me I had missed the last scheduled flight home, but due to weather and operational mishaps they were moving an aircraft to my home airport. They instructed me to run to the gate and they would call ahead.

When I arrived at the gate I ran down the jetway and was welcomed aboard a completly empty B737 as the ONLY passenger. I enjoyed the short flight home with a free Heineken with the flight attendant. The cockpit door was open while I shot the breeze with the captain and FO. What impressed me more was the speed--the normal hour flight time was shortened by the lack of weight and passengers! Totally cool--and something that would never happen in today's day and age....

By coincidence that was the last good SWA flight I enjoyed...(just kidding...almost).
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:13 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Summer of 1989 a TWA flight COS-DEN on a hot day with thunderstorms in Denver. I was the only one in F and there were 2 people in Y. After about a 2 hours delay they moved the 2 Y pax to F, We took off probably 4 hours late (no, we didn't run out of drinks and the lavatory didn't overflow). The FAs were a little unhappy because the pilot didn't release the breaks so their shift didn't start (or something like that), but the service and the conversation was outstanding. Still one of my favorite flights.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Air New Zealand 105 AKL SYD 19 Sep 2001 combo of 9/11 and Ansett going under. 25 people on a 767. The crew were wondering if the airline would fold within days...thank god it didn't
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was the only passenger on a 737 flight in Brazil in 2003

+++++++++++++++
Originally Posted by MrSydney
Air New Zealand 105 AKL SYD 19 Sep 2001 combo of 9/11 and Ansett going under. 25 people on a 767. The crew were wondering if the airline would fold within days...thank god it didn't
It did not fold because the NZ Government effectlively nationalised it. It should have folded:- what the Air NZ (lack of) management deserved.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: UA1K, AVIS First, Marriott Gold, *wood Gold
BA used to fly a 747 from SAN to JFK. The runway at SAN is way short for a 747, so they had severe fuel/cargo/passenger limits. I never flew it, but I was told you could play racquetball in there without disturbing anyone.

Their main goal was to reposition the AC from the west coast to the east to accomodate other routes. LAX - JFK had too much fare competition. BA thought they could make more money with fewer high-fare passengers out of SAN.

That flight's not around anymore, so I guess they found a better way.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
I was the only passenger on a WT flight leaving for LOS that left Stansted Airport circa Aug 1988. The airline requested for and got permission to fly the B707 to LHR (About 40 miles away) to pick up stranded passengers going to the same destination. No luck. No staff to drive the push back truck at 1 a.m.( Union problem). Left LHR as lone passenger with 10 crew members. Had a blast sitting in the cockpit for most of the 6 hour journey. Captain was a school mate I met for the first time after 6th grade.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:56 am

I was on a pretty empty Southwest flight from MHT-MCO.

The FA said after we had boarded "Now if everyone would please take a window seat so it looks like we are full, that would be great, thank you."
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
May 2006, MXP-LCY on BA. There were 5 pax on the plane. The FAs wouldn't let us sit in the "business" seats, even though the only thing separating biz from coach was a handkerchief on the headrest

(and no, it wasn't a balance issue, it was a "this is business class" issue)
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Sometime in the mid 90's, SEA-DEN on a UAL DC-10. Only 13 of us, all upgraded to F. Full meal service, the works!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:16 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
For me it was a WN flight PDX-PHX, a 6:00 am departure the Friday after Thanksgiving. There a whole four passengers, myself included.

It was a complete shock to get off the plane in PHX and find the airport jammed full of people. I'm hooked on the early morning black Friday departures now.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nh sha/fuk/kix 763

Just me, the flight attendants, and the pilots^^^ on this now defunct route!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up

In Jan 2000 I was flying CVG-PDX-NRT on a Delta MD-11

PDX was closed because of high winds and we diverted to SEA.
The flight crew (for PDX-NRT) drove to SEA from PDX.

There were only 8 on the entire MD-11 when we left SEA for Narita.

Everyone in First Class.
However, the plane only had Y catering, but plenty of whatever you wanted.

Delta sent me a $250 voucher for the plane not being catered.
I was already in F, having paid for biz and using a System Wide Upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.