Wiki Posts
Search

Do any of you buy carbon offsets?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Do any of you buy carbon offsets?

For what percentage of flights do you buy them?

Who do you buy them from?

Is it expensive?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I don't buy any just because I wonder if my money is going to a good cause and personally I have no money to do that anyway. And since I come from a tourism/environment background, I will try to give you a scope.

Just google carbon offsetting, and you'll find more than enough sites for it, which one should you use, I can't answer that one.

As to how expensive it is, it depends on what class you fly and the distance of the flight. Eg. BUF-IAD on UX would be quite high overall when comparing (distance vs. carbon release) because of 1. regional jets and 2. large amounts of fuel needed for takeoff. I believe it worked out to roughly 2000 dollars to offset my 2008 flying which was 75K flyer, 80% F or J, and average for each flight was around 1700 miles.

Hope this helps, but as we know, you are just opening to more question. I suggest you to actually to look to ecological footprint moreso than carbon footprint because that reflects our lifestyle as well our travel patterns.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: I am a lowly ant
I'm not sure how many airlines offer this, it seems quite common now, I suspect there is a tax advantage or something. BA do.

I certainly would not pay for a carbon offset, although I'd be happy to pay for one of if the British government made it a condition for scrapping the outrageous Air Passenger Duty ex-UK.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
Carbon offsets are the modern day environmental equivalent of the plenary indulgences of the Catholic Church.

Many of the carbon offsets are ineffective, and can actually do more damage than they are intended to mitigate. There is no regulation of the industry, and because people feel they are neutralizing their carbon footprint, it does nothing to encourage people's behavior to change their energy consumption habits.

It's like penalizing for living your lifestyle for performing the necessary funtions of life. If there is really to be greenhouse gas emission/carbon footprint shrinking, new ways of alternative, cleaner energy must be developed and utlized widespread. Otherwise, all that carbon offsets will minimize is guilt, not emissions.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
See what had been discussed on carbon offsets before:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ts-travel.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...s-flights.html
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:18 am
Suspended

whats the point ? the governements in USA and UK cant show you where a single penny has been used to combat green house gases, its all a scam to fund their so called peace keeping efforts which really should be called safe gaurding mineral and oil interests
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by czarina
Carbon offsets are the modern day environmental equivalent of the plenary indulgences of the Catholic Church.

Many of the carbon offsets are ineffective, and can actually do more damage than they are intended to mitigate. There is no regulation of the industry, and because people feel they are neutralizing their carbon footprint, it does nothing to encourage people's behavior to change their energy consumption habits.
^^

Not only that, but the damage they do generally involves creating more carbon than they save!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Beat me to it, that's exactly what it has always reminded me of.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Never have bought a carbon offset.

I did cut down a live/healthy tree on Earth Day, though.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
No....
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Billiken

I diques ford cut down a live/healthy tree on Earth Day, though.

Good for you, hope you hugged it first though. Perhaps we should form a society sworn to chop down a tree on every Earth Day, preferably full of greenies (before they have drawn their social security cheque for the week)
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Billiken

I did cut down a live/healthy tree on Earth Day, though.
Slacker. I burn a tire every earth day.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:26 am

survey about voluntary carbon offsetting

Hello there,

I am a student and I am doing a survey exactly about this topic. I would really appreciate it, if you could answer some questions following this link:

http://washington.qualtrics.com/SE/?...QQDJsKNxHo9kRm

All data is treated confidentially!

Thanks a lot
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Exactly. These guys manipulate consumer guilt to make money. I'm sure the people who run carbon offset organizations are all paying themselves healthy salaries before they forward any excess revenue to "good causes," whatever they are.

If you want to encourage wiser carbon policy, buy travel from organizations with the conscience and resources to lead change in technology paradigms. Don't send money to some random, murky outfit on a guilt-based whim.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I too have never even thought about the remote possibility of paying any of this carbon offsetting mumbo jumbo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.